Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
AFR 325 flow sheets.... anyone ever flow these heads? >

AFR 325 flow sheets.... anyone ever flow these heads?

Notices

AFR 325 flow sheets.... anyone ever flow these heads?

Old 01-11-2017, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
I don't like paying someone to build my motors because I want to learn how to do it. In fact I couldn't even come close to affording the engine I built if I had to get it from a builder. I've learned more by making mistakes, blowing up, paying for new components, then build a new better engine. Each one better than the last. When it blows up I blame myself because I, an amateur, missed a step or didn't catch a machining error. Each time I don't make that mistake again. Do I get pizzed off when it blows, yup! Do I get depressed when in the middle of season or funds tight? Absolutely. Have I maybe recieved a bit of misdirection or misinformation that contributed? Absolutely. Do I blame everybody and their brother why MY motor failed? FUKK NO! I take my expensive lesson and move on. Was any of my engines complete optimal? Hell no. They hit the realistically planned power goals each time but in each case reliability suffered from mistakes. Many seasons i missed due to issues I'd have rather ran slow than not ran at all. Will I ever leave anything stock even knowing problems I created? Never.

A wise student learns from mistakes to grow their knowledge. A flunk out blames bad teachers, inadequate conditions, and anybody but themselves.

Be humble and learn. Posting threads for knowledge and constructive criticism is great. People are giving CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, not just criticism usually but you are taking it to be the latter with your hackles up. Yes we are all here, yes we all spend stupid money we may have as excess or had to sacrifice from elsewhere to afford this hobby. You aren't the only one who does so grasshopper.

The drama does create great memes and friggin hilarious videos though so by all means, carry on! I need good laughs.
Very well said. Thumbs up to you!!! A stock engine is a no brainier but when you get into the hi performance things can change in a hurry. What wasn't necessarily so critical before becomes extremely important. I've been at performance since I was about 9 yrs old when my ol man caught me porting on my 2 stroke Yamaha 80 dirt bike cylinder. What I've learned since then.... And still learning.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Very well said. Thumbs up to you!!! A stock engine is a no brainier but when you get into the hi performance things can change in a hurry. What wasn't necessarily so critical before becomes extremely important. I've been at performance since I was about 9 yrs old when my ol man caught me porting on my 2 stroke Yamaha 80 dirt bike cylinder. What I've learned since then.... And still learning.
That's funny about the Yamaha john.
My dad caught me with the head from my Briggs and Stratton mini bike engine and a belt sander. I sanded the ridge around the head down quite a bit to up the compression.
The thing would, damn near, dislocate your elbow when you pulled the start cord, but I went around 40MPH.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:13 PM
Registered

To this day I don't even leave a leaf blower stock. Ask endeavour32. He's watched golf carts do cat walks across his back yard. Had a guy or two on the back though... Still have one that you have your hands full when you got your foot into it though. Ha
Old 01-11-2017, 03:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Tim if I recall your running trs correct. Original drive height? Boat weight, etc. I would assume your cam guys know all the info in addition to flow numbers. This is conversation not a dig... You acknowledged I liked your old cam specs. Well I really didn't think they were far off but it's pretty well known the engines didn't like them. Your dyno numbers confused me and made me rethink your combo. I think we all did. It had me all over the board with cam shafts on my builds I have to be honest especially now that builds are going in different hull. I know you trust your cam guys and that's a must but just hope they are putting two and two together with intakes along with my first couple of sentences. Your new cam specs sound like they'd make good power. Just in a lighter boat with higher x and more efficient bottom. I realize it is what it is and you have an awesome boat regardless. I've always wanted a cigarette. Regardless where you end up it's pretty certain you'll be in the water enjoying your summer worry free.
Yes, heavy TRS boat, that was first thing the cam guys asked, I think the smaller cams would have been better in a stepped Fountain over my heavy hull, moving that powerband up and a longer curve overall will push the boat, certaintly staying with same cams or smaller wont help.I am not trying to break speed records with a Mistress, just be fun with it, mid 70's in this hull is very fun in Lake Erie slop.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
That's funny about the Yamaha john.
My dad caught me with the head from my Briggs and Stratton mini bike engine and a belt sander. I sanded the ridge around the head down quite a bit to up the compression.
The thing would, damn near, dislocate your elbow when you pulled the start cord, but I went around 40MPH.
To this day I don't even leave a leaf blower stock. Ask endeavour32. He's watched golf carts do cat walks across his back yard. Had a guy or two on the back though... Still have one that you have your hands full when you got your foot into it though. Ha
A little engine knowledge can be a dangerous thing! Yea, I've turned up and retuned my lawnmower and old Ford diesel tractor too. Both cut grass a hell of a lot better with some extra rpm and torque behind the blades! Hehe! Not to mention the tractor now has enough power to pull wheel stands while shifting into road gear while rolling.....Hehe. I started heavy engine modifications and getting really technical with snowmobiles first.

Sounds like most of us can't leave anything alone!

Last edited by Gimme Fuel; 01-11-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I am not new to engines, or High Perf ones, just a bad recipe from the beginning and some things went wrong, on my part and others, it is what it is... nobody is perfect, well a few here think they are...I also beat my boat very hard every single weekend, just like all the Mustangs I have had, diesel trucks and anything else with an engine, so I deal with the issues... sucks but it is what it is... just sick of being told I am not any good at all when I am taking the efforts to do this all in my garage, not pay a shop, a buddy paid ALOT of money to have his 1100's done by a reputable builder, and has had nothing but issues, it happens more then just guys like me...
Old 01-11-2017, 03:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Full Force
Yes, heavy TRS boat, that was first thing the cam guys asked, I think the smaller cams would have been better in a stepped Fountain over my heavy hull, moving that powerband up and a longer curve overall will push the boat, certaintly staying with same cams or smaller wont help.I am not trying to break speed records with a Mistress, just be fun with it, mid 70's in this hull is very fun in Lake Erie slop.
Mid 70's would be fun especially hitting 4 to 6 footers head on and not think twice about it.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Full Force
I am not new to engines, or High Perf ones, just a bad recipe from the beginning and some things went wrong, on my part and others, it is what it is... nobody is perfect, well a few here think they are...I also beat my boat very hard every single weekend, just like all the Mustangs I have had, diesel trucks and anything else with an engine, so I deal with the issues... sucks but it is what it is... just sick of being told I am not any good at all when I am taking the efforts to do this all in my garage, not pay a shop, a buddy paid ALOT of money to have his 1100's done by a reputable builder, and has had nothing but issues, it happens more then just guys like me...
I think many of us do this out of our garage or even under an old oak tree in the back yard. I would say the majority if us here are do it yourselfers. I among many appreciate your threads but just don't dis advice of others when given. Doesn't mean you have to do it, just appreciate it and move forward. We all have expensive issues.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think many of us do this out of our garage or even under an old oak tree in the back yard. I would say the majority if us here are do it yourselfers. I among many appreciate your threads but just don't dis advice of others when given. Doesn't mean you have to do it, just appreciate it and move forward. We all have expensive issues.
I would not say I dis advice all the time, but when you have 50 people and half think one thing, other think another, why am I wrong for listening to wrong half? That's one thing that led to some of my issues before..
Old 01-11-2017, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim, has the new cam spec's been available yet? Maybe I missed them trying to read all the pages

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.