Cam chain clearance to block >

Cam chain clearance to block

Notices

Cam chain clearance to block

Old 06-28-2018, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
I just put on a Rollmaster CS2090 and it looks super close to the #1 side of the block. I saw a note in the box that some grinding may be needed so I guess this is what they were talking about? No marks or scraping sounds when turning over to degree the cam.

From the pic it looks awful close. While it misses now, what about at operating temp? Feelers gauge to check for exact numbers.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Doesn't the cam naturally walk forward towards the retainer and away from the block when running? I know when I went to a roller cam and a cam button it wanted to push my timing cover off the block. I have to put a 1/4" plate between my timing cover and crossover to stabilize it. And the button wore pretty good.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

You could have ground it and been done already

i would grind it, and never worry about it again.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
I guess if they send a note in the box their product has clearance issues in some cases. that really blow's who wants to grind on a new build
why not use the right chain in the first place... the Gen 6 with step nose cam/retainer system is great!!! wish all BBC were this way, to run a dbl row chain you need to clearance the block... the single severe duty chain system by Cloyes (9-3649x3) made for the Gen 6 is a brute single row true roller, multiple keyway for variety of timing positions. Just my $.002
Old 06-28-2018, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Yep. Gen VI step nose with retainer. Chain set has the Torrington bearing.
I had same set with my GMPP Gen VI block. Had to grind quite a bit. Didn't rub during assembly/mock up, but certainly did when ran!
Old 06-28-2018, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Did you price Cloyes, just curios how they priced out............never used roll master
I looked at Cloyes and looks like a fine set and cheaper too. This was about $125 with more adjustability, which I didn’t need.

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ
From the pic it looks awful close. While it misses now, what about at operating temp? Feelers gauge to check for exact numbers.
Exactly. I don’t want a problem later.

Originally Posted by sailtexas186548
You could have ground it and been done already

i would grind it, and never worry about it again.
Totes.

Originally Posted by adk61
why not use the right chain in the first place... the Gen 6 with step nose cam/retainer system is great!!! wish all BBC were this way, to run a dbl row chain you need to clearance the block... the single severe duty chain system by Cloyes (9-3649x3) made for the Gen 6 is a brute single row true roller, multiple keyway for variety of timing positions. Just my $.002
Because not all of us do this for a living to know and the Rollmaster was highly recommended in the OSO threads that I read. Comp Cams has a tough single roller for near $250. I don’t see your recommendation in my thread asking this exact question.
Timing set for GenVI. Any favorites?

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
I had same set with my GMPP Gen VI block. Had to grind quite a bit. Didn't rub during assembly/mock up, but certainly did when ran!
Thanks. Grinding will be done! No big deal.

Last edited by Baja Rooster; 06-28-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because not all of us do this for a living to know and the Rollmaster was highly recommended in the OSO threads that I read. I don’t see your recommendation in my thread asking this exact question.
Timing set for GenVI. Any favorites?
I feel ya Rooster!
I've asked the same question in 2 different threads and got nothing but crickets for almost 2 weeks
Timing set for gen v block with step nose cam
Which Gen 5 double roller timing set?

I looked up your part number on roll masters product list and a CS2090 does not even come up
Old 06-28-2018, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a double roller recommended by Eddie young. Had to clearance the factory timing cover but that took minutes and nowhere near the engines. Howard's 94309.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crude Intentions
I have a double roller recommended by Eddie young. Had to clearance the factory timing cover but that took minutes and nowhere near the engines. Howard's 94309.
Gen 6 -10 bolt stamped cover or Gen 5 cover -6-bolt stamped cover?
Old 06-29-2018, 05:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this why many dont run double roller setup...not needed for the most part in my opinion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.