Cam chain clearance to block >

Cam chain clearance to block

Notices

Cam chain clearance to block

Old 06-29-2018, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crude Intentions

like the post says. They are gen 6 motors.
gen 6 is a 10 bolt pattern, so how can the cover be for can gen 6 when it only had 6 bolts?

I'm asking because a gen 4 won't seal a one piece rms like on the gen 5/6 so if the cover you used was for a 1 piece RMS and only had 6 bolt holes it must have been a gen 5 cover (because gen 6 has 10 bolt holes like I mentioned earlier) from what I've found, gen 5 covers are hard to find especially one that is cheap and requires just a little clearance work, that's what I'm asking where you got it and which one it was. All the "gen 5" covers I've found are $175+.

Rooster I found out the rollmaster CS2090 is the NON nitrited version of the timing set and http://www.romacusa.com/index.html is only a single US distributor not the main US distributor so it may be found some where else for cheaper BUT they did quote me $110 for the CS2095 which is cheaper than anyone else I've found so far.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Well someone should tell summit they are wrong. For the record mine are gen 6 with these exact covers.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-10230954
Old 06-29-2018, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cs2090 or 2095? i got the 2095 and im hoping i dont have this issue as well. how much did you have to grind
Old 06-29-2018, 10:15 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by adk61
why not use the right chain in the first place... the Gen 6 with step nose cam/retainer system is great!!! wish all BBC were this way, to run a dbl row chain you need to clearance the block... the single severe duty chain system by Cloyes (9-3649x3) made for the Gen 6 is a brute single row true roller, multiple keyway for variety of timing positions. Just my $.002
Commenting to what is in bold above - most are. Many Gen IV blocks have the holes drilled/tapped for the retainer plate - therefore you can install a plate and stepped nose VI cam. If not drilled and tapped, you can do this or have a machine shop do it. Obviously, you'll need to use a VI timing chain kit too.

Not pushing the timing set per say but click to read the comments since it comes with the retainer plate:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...1053/overview/

and:
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/18-e...iming-set.html

When installed in a Gen VI block, excess forward travel on a Gen VI hydraulic roller cam is limited by a factory thrust plate. The reduced-diameter Gen VI cam nose indexes into the thrust plate’s center hole, and the plate in turn bolts to the block’s front cam boss. Although endplay still should be checked and verified (particularly when using thicker-than-stock aftermarket timing sets), it’s not affected by different front gaskets.

It turns out that many old Mark IV blocks also have thrust-plate provisions. Back in the day, the plate was used on rare factory reverse-rotation, geardrive, flat-tappet cam applications. Westech Performance checked out an original factory high-performance block, and it turns out the thrust plate’s bolt spacing (even though it performed a different function) is the same as on the late models. So assuming your Mark IV block is drilled with these two extra holes (as shown in the photos, approximately 2.394 inches on-center spacing), you can install a Gen VI cam and timing set in the Mark IV block using the late-GM Gen VI cam retainer. Sand the thrust-plate as needed to achieve the needed endplay (about 0.002 to 0.007 inch).

The one remaining drawback to this retrofit was the lack of a double-roller Gen VI timing chain. There was insufficient clearance underneath the factory eight-bolt Gen VI timing cover to clear the thicker double-roller chain, so until recently only single-roller Gen VI chains were available. But now Comp Cams sells a new Gen VI eight-bolt cover (PN 217) that clears its trick multikeyway billet Gen VI-style double-roller timing set (PN 7101). On the Mark IV block with a Gen VI-style cam, you would use the original 10-bolt Mark IV-style front cover with the now-available Gen VI double-roller chain.

Because the thrust-plate cam retention solution is a set-it-once-and-forget-it solution, with a Gen VI double-roller chain now available, anyone ordering a custom roller cam for an early Mark IV block with the two extra holes in the front cam journal boss might well consider ordering the custom cam machined with the late-style nose.

Last edited by SB; 06-29-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by adk61
Hey Baja.. I wasn't trying to offend you, and if I did, my apologies... I use the Cloyes in my Gen 6 builds and have never had an issue ... that being said if you do use your dbl row, I'd say make sure you have sufficient clearance for potential unknowns, chain whip, stretch etc etc... and also if your block has been align bored/honed will be helpful to know how much (even new blocks need some love sometimes) they make chain kits for .002" to .010" .... happy boating!!!
No worries. I know that you’re well intended and always helpful. No line boring. I’d have to check the paperwork to see if he honed the caps. I wish I had the funds to buy a full set of heads from you and not worry about it.

Originally Posted by LTZCrew
cs2090 or 2095? i got the 2095 and im hoping i dont have this issue as well. how much did you have to grind
I saw a small scratch on the block from just degreeing the cam so I plan on hogging out at least an 1/8” of an inch.

Prepping for surgery.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:25 PM
Registered

So, in the opinion of the OSO brain trust, should I ditch this and go with something else? I really don’t want to yank this thing for such a relatively cheap part.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
So, in the opinion of the OSO brain trust, should I ditch this and go with something else? I really don’t want to yank this thing for such a relatively cheap part.
the one I posted the part number for works without clearancing and was recommended by Eddie young. Said he uses it on all gen 6 blocks just clearance the inside of the cover
Old 06-30-2018, 01:45 PM
Registered

Thanks. I don’t mind grinding but I’m wondering if the Rollmaster unit is suspect. I’m curious of the longevity of the Torrington bearing. Perhaps it’s handy for drag cars for ten seconds at a time but I want to keep this engine until it melts from old age.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:48 PM
Registered

That was my plan. Make it as reliable as I can. I figure if Eddie uses this Howard's set on 1000+hp builds it'll be fine for me. It's only like $125 also.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off I owe crude intentions an apology, I was wrong, I had my numbers reversed. Mark 4 covers have 10 bolts and the ears for a 2 piece seal, a gen 6 has a 6 bolt cover and no ears for a 1piece seal, AND a gen 5 has 10 bolts and no ears for a 1 piece seal.

Rooster, Eddie Young uses the rollmaster 2095 with a stock gen 6 cover that they clearance the webs on the inside of the cover..... Post #16
Timing set for gen v block with step nose cam

Per Romacusa the CS2090 is the same as the CS2095 but it's not nitrited, I can't verify this though as there only one distributor.

I called Cloyes and they only have a single roller .250 pin.

I also called Howard's and their sets are made by SA gear so it's basicallyba SA gear set and Eddie Young says the gears are good BUT the chain gets sticky (see above link).

Mike tach, also said that there are two different cam retainer plates. I think this is related to cam end play?
Timing set for gen v block with step nose cam

Last edited by Mohavvalley; 06-30-2018 at 08:25 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.