Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
47 Wellcraft Excalibur finally in the water, a thank you to those who helped! >

47 Wellcraft Excalibur finally in the water, a thank you to those who helped!

Notices

47 Wellcraft Excalibur finally in the water, a thank you to those who helped!

Old 07-30-2021, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic30ss
I’m happy for you that you’ve gotten the boat in the water.
I want to share my experiences and another’s experiences (47excalibur) on the site with the Excal.
I put 540s making 640hp/700tq in my boat Matt had something like 1200 hp blower motors. We both had 2:1 B3 X drives, in my case I was pushing the vertical shaft through the top of the older X drives, when I switched to the new versions with the rib cap it would twist the shaft in two, if the shaft survived 10-12 hrs it would eat the gears. I also had cavitation burns on the props so bad pieces were missing. Brett did an awesome job getting the props to bite and not burn, however the drives would disintegrate faster.
The bravo drive just cannot handle the torque and weight of this combo.
We both went to Arnesons, Matt’s boat is still running on a big lake (LOTO?) I just dropped mine in the water yesterday and I’m working on a few new boat items, I should have it sorted by the weekend to take some test runs.

Im not trying to discourage you, merely trying to let you know what you’re doing has been tried before and trying to save you frustration, dollars and lost boating time.
Feel free to call if you want to discuss further Joe eight six O eight 83 six 8 nine six

Lots of blade surface area
Hi Joe, what pitch and rake did you use on this setup? My engines dyno at 680hp634tq at 5000 rpm. Looking to start somewhere close sa these props are expensive. thanks!
Old 07-30-2021, 10:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasterboatman
Hi Joe, what pitch and rake did you use on this setup? My engines dyno at 680hp634tq at 5000 rpm. Looking to start somewhere close sa these props are expensive. thanks!
i let Jim Hering spec the props, they are 20x21x16. They were actually built/finished by the new owners of Hering.
I’m working out new boat gremlins so no serious testing yet, feels like they may need more cup than they were built with
The following users liked this post:
Fasterboatman (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

With my 47 and Arneson's on a 1:56 ratio and 1100hp I went with 20x27x18 rake , six blade
Fasterboatman (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 05:31 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic30ss
i let Jim Hering spec the props, they are 20x21x16. They were actually built/finished by the new owners of Hering.
I’m working out new boat gremlins so no serious testing yet, feels like they may need more cup than they were built with
I had a set of 4 blade Rolla cleavers cupped on my Arneson set up to get some bow lift,
and they were very noisy at higher speeds afterwards. Ended up putting a stock set back on.

This was on a 42' Harley 500 HP 1.5 reduction.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:40 AM
Registered

Matt and Joe, It looks like some modifications were required in the transom to swim platform interface. I see "slot" to accommodate the drive assembly and trim cylinders. Do you have any thoughts you can pass on about these mods? BTW, I am going with the 7M Arnesons bravo kit.

-Jeff
resurrected (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Hello all,

An 8 month project plan took over two years. As with most boat projects,it always cost more, takes longer, and never quite meets the goal. Covid, and issues with a "bubba" rigger had prevented me from getting this project finished per the plan but I am getting really close now to being back on the water ad having fun. The 572 engines from Skip White have been flawless so far. Huge thanks to Skip for his consult on cam and compression choices. The XZ drives seems up to the task, but props are my current issues. Bblades is being very helpful with their testing program. Anyone who is looking at props should go to their site. Brett is very helpful and their staff is the same. bblades.com

I have a bunch of pictures of the build up and installation, but I will need to work on getting these into albums. I will tell you that Greg Ray of Plano Marine has been very helpful in making sure I am getting back on the water. I wish I could have found a professional rigger that is in the North Texas area, but I ended up paying a lot for work that never got done. With many helpful friends, (thank you Chris, Bob, Greg and John!), and of course many of you on this forum that helped, it is now nearly done. Thanks to all! Oh, yeah, and of course the CFO (Thanks babe!). Also kudos to Jeff Stull at Hardin marine! Always has a great feedback and helps however he can.

I have about 30 hours of testing and engine break in, and thus far, except for not yet making plane, everything is going pretty well. A few glitches with the power-steering, and some every hard to trace electrical issues, but otherwise im happy to report progress is been excellent. Of course, with these engines, and such a big heavy boat, Im sure everyone would like to know how fast etc. I will keep you all posted.

The Edlebrock Pro4 fuel injection is awesome! It is proving to make this whole process be just a smart pad away. Very cool.

So far I cant get enough prop bite:
Mirage 21" 4b, and blow out before plane out at 3k rpm
Rev 4 25" blow out at 2500-2700 rpm.
Next test is a Maximus 5 24"

I suspect that a 6 blade may be in my future, but hopefully the 5 blade will provide some good data and get it on plane. Ill keep you all posted!

Finally on the water in Texas,
-j
Start Posting Photo's of your build
Thanks for sharing too
I'CE (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Joe has a 45 Excalibur and had to make those modifications to the underside of the swim platform/transom. On the 47 like yours and my old one,you do not. The only thing i had to do was move the engines forward2-3 inches. Easy to do in that boat. I have photos somewhere of how i did it.
Fasterboatman (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 07:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 47EXCALIBUR
Joe has a 45 Excalibur and had to make those modifications to the underside of the swim platform/transom. On the 47 like yours and my old one,you do not. The only thing i had to do was move the engines forward2-3 inches. Easy to do in that boat. I have photos somewhere of how i did it.
Perfect! As always, thanks!
Old 08-05-2021, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 699 Likes on 353 Posts

Perfect! As always, thanks!
all the info you'll ever need to know about the conversion.osha approved () engine moving shown too.

Boatfreaks <--------------- enjoy
Fasterboatman (08-26-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 08:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
all the info you'll ever need to know about the conversion.osha approved () engine moving shown too.

Boatfreaks <--------------- enjoy
Im sending this link to y rigger today. This is awesome stuff. Again, this site and its members come thru AGAIN! Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you. jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.