T-stat oil coolers >

T-stat oil coolers

Notices

T-stat oil coolers

Old 03-14-2022, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
I am running oil t-stats from Improved Racing as well and love them. I got the thermostatic filter head. Super simple plumbing and clean install, standard block adapter is used. I have the older version, this is their new one that replaced other:
https://www.improvedracing.com/remot...t-env-171.html

Is the earls version basically the same? Just wondering from a price standpoint.
Old 03-15-2022, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by bob
Gimme Fuel thanks for the info.. I am running the old style mounted on a transom bracket with #12 lines. Takes up some space. Next time motors come out I am definitely going to grab some of the newer versions I am thinking.
Yes the lines and 90's certainly do. Plumbing would have been near perfect on mine except for the factory lifting eye bracket, had to compromise there, but overall nearly a stock appearance on my 502 MPI's. I used -10 Racetronix PTFE lines. The factory filter mount I had to cut off to clear the EMI manifolds I flipped around and notched to make a mounting bracket for the new thermostatic filter heads as the bracket Improved Racing supplied with them was cheesy (biggest upgrade feature of the new version). Actually worked out beautifully and retained the inverted filter mount. I always thought that was a messy and stupid design until I heard just crack the seal and wait a half hour, never spill a drop doing that! I also included the spin-on block adapter I got from Summit for about $50. Was a real nice piece and about half the cost of most others.

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Is the earls version basically the same? Just wondering from a price standpoint.
Their inline thermostat unit looks real similar, I used the thermostatic filter head and a standard Teague 3"x18" cooler mounted over the bellhousing and I relocated the power steering cooler.
Old 03-15-2022, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by swan2
Not trying to hijack the thread but since talking about oil can anyone please tell the size of freeze plug needed to plug the oil bypass valve? Thank you in advance no need to reply if i'm out of line asking this question on this thread. I understand. Again thank you guys.

Dorman 555-101 steel expansion plug

Ryan
Old 03-15-2022, 02:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ballistic Beak
Dorman 555-101 steel expansion plug

Ryan
Why do I remember using a nickel many years ago! 😂
Old 07-14-2022, 06:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TomZ
Did mine this way… will see how they work out this season.

Tom - can you post a hand drawn out pic/illustration of the oil and water routing.

I’m currently rigging the head mount remote oil filter. So say in and out on that but regards to the stat oil cooler as shown in pic with the stat on the left. I’m assuming the raw water flow direction does not matter.

Tks in advance

John

Old 07-14-2022, 09:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,231 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn;[url=tel:4838324
4838324[/url]]Tom - can you post a hand drawn out pic/illustration of the oil and water routing.

I’m currently rigging the head mount remote oil filter. So say in and out on that but regards to the stat oil cooler as shown in pic with the stat on the left. I’m assuming the raw water flow direction does not matter.

Tks in advance

John
John,

Basically, hot oil comes out of the remote adapter and goes to the filter. From the filter it goes to the thermostatic control head on the cooler (left side of the picture). Output is through the other side of the cooler and then back to the remote adapter on the block. Water flow and oil flow are opposite to each other.

Pic from Mr. Cool:

Helpful?

The following users liked this post:
getrdunn (07-17-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thermostat

I run a Mo-Cal AV thermostat. Works fantastic been on there for 10 years. I got tired of the milkshakes and

the condensation
The following 2 users liked this post by AZ Lineman:
getrdunn (07-17-2022), TomZ (07-17-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 09:37 AM
Registered

Thanks Tom - so I see the h2o flow direction does matter. Good to know!
Old 07-17-2022, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You’re welcome John!
Old 07-17-2022, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

On this style cooler (I’m using the 700 hp version) Mr. Cool and Hardin (when they used to sell it) say it’s supposed to hold temps between 190 and 215. We’ll see how that works in the real world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.