Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Speedmaster # 3. Will it bolt-up to a TRS? >

Speedmaster # 3. Will it bolt-up to a TRS?

Notices

Speedmaster # 3. Will it bolt-up to a TRS?

Old 05-20-2004, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Speedmaster # 3. Will it bolt-up to a TRS?

After a TRS failure yesterday, you've got my attention. A few questions:

"Conversion in a day"... Looks like these have their own gimbal/transom assy. Is this a requirement? Can they bolt up to a TRS gimbal? Gimbal work will necessitate engine R&R, and it looks like they supply their own trim pump system. "A day" sounds pretty aggressive.

Their website says "no exhaust through the drive". A TRS benefit is the ability to use Corsa or Merc Silent Choice switchable exhaust. Can you still divert exhaust through the bellows, just not the drive?

Are there any current race teams beating these up? Didn't see any on their client list. The race course is the ultimate test for reliability.

And as Danny_Ocean asks... how bad is it gonna hurt?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 05-20-2004, 10:22 PM
Registered

p4, Fred was giving me a price rage of 11K range with the gimble as a complete kit. I understand "Biggus" did a TRS conversion and would be the one to ask on the conversion time. Fred said thay can accomidate applications in steering, nose cones, etc. to your current set up.

Their test has been with 50' triple 500hp military applications. The military was experiencing 50 to 100 hrs and now over 500hrs with the Konrad. The fluid dynamics of the oil flow design keeps the drives cooler and minimizes drag within the unit.

The 540 is an impressive unit. My impression is a better drive than the XR or Speedmaster.

As far as racing applications. I am unsure although I was so impressed I have committed to Fred to assist in getting a few units in some race boats. Email me at [email protected] if you are interested.

I will be installing these documenting the time and performace from TRS. There is an upcomming article in Family & Performance Boating Mag on the TRS conversion.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are two basic options to convert:

1-replace bell housing and leg ~9000.00 each side
2-replace transom and leg ~ 11,000 each side

performance model / nose cone add 600.00. At this point we weld on the nose cones and fill/fare with aluminum, not bondo. We are currently modifying the tooling to integrate the nose cone. The outcome is the same, however, the weld on is time consuming and costly.

We have steering plates for Latham and Marine Machine. You cannot use the TRS plates because the upper is much larger. Give a call and I can be more specific on pricing for this.

Biggus gained about 4 mph without the nose cone. When the installation is standard, the x dimension is 1.68" higher (prop shaft centerline.) Biggus decided to stay at this level. Zero Patience was a little high so he purchased a 1" extension which installs between the upper and lower. He gained 4-5 mph while using the nose cone but his cruise decreased so he spaced it down 1". Biggus gained in the midrange as in the top speed so he stayed at 1.68" up. Still trying to find out if the x-dimensions were different on these boats. I guess the nose cone could have diminished the cruise speed, not sure yet. I think unless you want the look of a nose cone, it is not beneficial unless you exceed 85mph. Even then it is minimal.

Advantages of #2 (full conversion):

-New stronger transom assy. for a fair price
-use the larger, stronger u-joint which is standard on all 540 models
-very easy to remove/install the drive as TRS drives can be difficult to engage
-new trim cylinders and hoses
-everything matches on the outside of the boat.

A full conversion can be done in a day. Everything on the inside of the boat stays the same, including the inner transom plate. The engine and transmission do not move. Basically remove the inside nuts, pull the TRS exterior off and place the 540 right back on . The only thing you retain from the TRS transom is the manifold for the trim system which bolts right up to the 540 with a new gasket and nuts. The new trim hoses then screw into the old manifold. This allows you to keep the same trim pump and hoses on the inside of the boat.

You can route the exhaust through the transom. You have to specify this when you order and the exhaust dumps out under the transmission tail piece. We had to do this for the TRS conversions that we also do occasionally in the work/recreational market.

The drives have been run in many extreme conditions. High speed military interceptors, extremely fast cats and monohulls and many high torque diesel applications where other drives don't stand much of a chance. I have worked around stern drives for 15+ years and the 540 is the best value on the market in traditional stern drives.

Parts will be available, we make most of them in house. We are very quality orientated. People keep buying the drives and are happy with them so I find it hard to believe that Mr. Konrad is going to close shop. It's a great market to be involved in.

Fred Sparling
Application Engineer
Konrad Marine, Inc.
800-927-3545
[email protected]
Old 05-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Registered

Thanks Fred, good info. You've got mail.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:34 PM
Registered

Fred, Thanks For That Post!!!!
Old 05-24-2004, 11:42 PM
Danny_Ocean

Originally Posted by FSPROPELLER
There are two basic options to convert:

1-replace bell housing and leg ~9000.00 each side
2-replace transom and leg ~ 11,000 each side

performance model / nose cone add 600.00.
Yikes! My boat only cost $10.5k. Do you have any "scratch-and-dent" units available?

I guess I'll have to decide if the conversion is economically viable, or pick up a few used TRS drives and keep 'em stacked in the wood-shed for spares.

Thanks again for the info,

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA