Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS  Can we grow together? >

SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS Can we grow together?

Notices

SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS Can we grow together?

Old 10-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default merc

850 or 1075 whats the difference on these motors? just blower pulleys or are the guts built different to account for making 1075 instead of 850?
Old 10-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

u know it steve..cant tech electronics..my guys say thats the easiest to cheat at...u gonna be in key west???

skaterdave we will do anything to race together...we can get close..my guy isnt worried...remember when mercury presented the whole deal they didnt care who built the motor...oss racers made it mercury exclusive...Mercury was fine with our builder and Sterling building it...i think Tom was already done with the config for the 850 when the racers squashed it...well see a couple 850 guys are very receptive to it so we will see

2trk u got the spirit buddy

steve curtis would probably throw up on speed limiting

Last edited by byrideroffshore; 10-03-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

After your suggestion Tony I have given it some thought and I am going to run for the OSS board this fall. Wish me luck!
MD
Old 10-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Randy its not a bad thing, but if u look at the large picture..its not real good buddy..the economy will kill alot of racers and race sites we really need to get together to protect all of it. If they split the Vlites up into two 5 boat "similar" configurations you would agree its kind of silly...When we were in Key west in 03..All agreed to stay with 4 classes to start it held its own for a while..I guess im to the point Randy if no one gives a crap then maybe i shouldnt either...I really feel bad for the Fans.....
Old 10-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MOBILEMERCMAN;2704438 wrote
"Randy, Some people just don't get it. How much money has merc given you back since you bought your boat?
If you don't like mercury motors OK. If you want to spend more I guess that's OK too. Who else gives you money back?
Do they give back actual money? or is it "Mercury Bucks"?
I won't disagree that MercRacing has put money into the sport. However, Mercury Racing has also made a buttload of money from the sport. They have controlled what power/propulsion is allowed in the sport for a long time.(read;MercRacing only) Something we learned back in the Glory days of F-1 and F-2 - "don't use the words Monopoly and MercuryRacing in the same sentence". I'm guessing Randy has forgotten the meeting I refer to earlier where all Factory class teams, including his, met to discuss other engine builder options. ALL of which were cheaper than the Mercracing525.
It's not that I don't like Mercury Racing, it's more that I love fair competition, a BIG unbiased sponsor that paid for a lot of TV time, and duking it out with 20+ boats side by side at a greenflag start.

Last edited by Gordo; 10-04-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Gordo , I love you man but there is not anyone else out there for some of us. The Vortec deal was ok for a few teams back then....it only lasted , what, two years?? Who cares if it's "Mercury Bucks"? It's still almost 10,000 that I got back this year alone......no one else was lining up to give out.....Mercury has been the only one around consistentey for the last 25 years. Had techs at the races, brought the trailer, supported and put up any money....
Old 10-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley
Gordo , I love you man but there is not anyone else out there for some of us. The Vortec deal was ok for a few teams back then....it only lasted , what, two years?? Who cares if it's "Mercury Bucks"? It's still almost 10,000 that I got back this year alone......no one else was lining up to give out.....Mercury has been the only one around consistentey for the last 25 years. Had techs at the races, brought the trailer, supported and put up any money....
It would have lasted much longer, and another vendor was on the way.
Ryan surely you have not forgotten how all of that came about. Now you have what you have few sponsors and few sites. At least be smart enough to learn from your mistakes.

I really do not see anyone coming along and putting out the money and time it takes to turn the ship. As far as GM only being good for a few teams who do you think paid for all of that TV? OSS never had any appreciable TV and never will the job is a little harder then everyone thought.
Steve
Old 10-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ryan,
There's a reason why GM Vortec/GMC Trucks didn't stay. Not like they were getting that Warm-n-fuzzy feeling from MercRacing.
As for the tech-support from the guys on the Mercury Racing Trailer <nodding> Point taken. Those guys are indeed, Top Notch.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default merc

ryan how did it cost you to run the merc 2.5 this year? does the 10 k cover all the rebuilds of blocks and lower units??
my biggset question is why does a gm crate 572 motor cost 12k from jegs and a merc 525 cost 30 k. yea yea i know its painted blue and has a heat exchanger. last i checked merc was buying all their stuff from gm. you really think merc wanted their supplier as competion.

the main problem is money- everyone agrees , right?
these races need to be on tv. i can't see how the orgs can't get tv coverage. with all the crap on tv, its ridiculas that the races aren't covered. we got channels for selling watches, guys sitting in a lake fishing, fourwheeler racing, cooking shows. i had to buy a cd from C1 to see any cool boat racing. i just saw 1 hr of knee-down hydroswith little outboards. WHAT THE F#$K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't forget a whole lot about what happened believe it or not. AND I for one would welcome other manufactures in any class and as a member of the OSS board would vote for it. In the 3 years I've been on the board no one from Mercury has every said they don't want competition.....even when the 850 class came out Mercury said other builders could build the motors.....it was the owners of the boats that decided against it.

As far as TV , sites, and sponsors the biggest brick wall we run into is a lingering bad taste in peoples mouths about the way they were treated back, in said "hayday" you all speak of so ofter. I was there and at the time it did seem great, Richie Rich, Treadwell, & many others made it very colorful but where are they now. Deals were made, bills were left unpaid, people got screwed.....that was then this is now.....OSS is moving forward the best they can. Trying to make up ground on what was lost in the transistion from then to now. There is a great group of people at OSS many of whom are even from the days of the LLC working to make it the best possible place to race, if anyone doesn't want to be part of it that is the freedom of choice, there is always SBI & OPA.....

I am not surprised they weren't getting a warm and fuzzy feeling, that would be like my suppliers going into business dealing with the public? How could I keep up if they opend there own sign shop as a supplier. GM is a supplier to Mercury and then they were competition!!!! I don't know all the details of how that went down and there were people that made good money off of it......but now there gone......and Mercury is still hear supporting offshore racing as they have been for the last 40 or so years.....so Vortec tried, there was KS&W/Eickert , OMC/second effort was there too....HAWK, United, Baker, Griffin, Troy Dennis, Pfaff many groups have tried ,in offshore racing, and didn't succeed for one reason or another but Mercury has stood strong & we shouldn't bash them for that.

Quick Reply: SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS Can we grow together?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.