Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS  Can we grow together? >

SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS Can we grow together?

Notices

SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS Can we grow together?

Old 10-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Dave........Vanderstel & Colabella do my motor maintenence but the Merc. money mMORE than covered all the basic parts for the year, PLUS the staffed, truck is at EVERY race with EVERYTHING we needed.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the best guys!!

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley
Dave........Vanderstel & Colabella do my motor maintenence but the Merc. money mMORE than covered all the basic parts for the year, PLUS the staffed, truck is at EVERY race with EVERYTHING we needed.
ryan, i just pointing out that for the prices of merc stuff one might think they would be alittle more generous.
it just seems that somehow someone always has to make a buck off of the racers back. we all see it but, continue racing cause this is what we love to do and i'm not talking about merc.
i never gave any thought till halfway thru the year but imagine if you or i flipped a boat. you get out okay and noboy's hurt but then have to fight with sea tow to get your boat back. and all this for a trophy and a few bucks. it just seems that more should be given back to those that ae racing and actually putting on the show. and yes i know it cost money to put on these races but you guys are the ones putting it on the line.

i'm stilled puzzled why no tv coverage??

does merc know that you take your business too, two of it's best ex-employess??

i'm stilled puzzled why no tv coverage??
Old 10-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley
I don't forget a whole lot about what happened believe it or not. AND I for one would welcome other manufactures in any class and as a member of the OSS board would vote for it. In the 3 years I've been on the board no one from Mercury has every said they don't want competition.....even when the 850 class came out Mercury said other builders could build the motors.....it was the owners of the boats that decided against it.

As far as TV , sites, and sponsors the biggest brick wall we run into is a lingering bad taste in peoples mouths about the way they were treated back, in said "hayday" you all speak of so ofter. I was there and at the time it did seem great, Richie Rich, Treadwell, & many others made it very colorful but where are they now. Deals were made, bills were left unpaid, people got screwed.....that was then this is now.....OSS is moving forward the best they can. Trying to make up ground on what was lost in the transistion from then to now. There is a great group of people at OSS many of whom are even from the days of the LLC working to make it the best possible place to race, if anyone doesn't want to be part of it that is the freedom of choice, there is always SBI & OPA.....

I am not surprised they weren't getting a warm and fuzzy feeling, that would be like my suppliers going into business dealing with the public? How could I keep up if they opend there own sign shop as a supplier. GM is a supplier to Mercury and then they were competition!!!! I don't know all the details of how that went down and there were people that made good money off of it......but now there gone......and Mercury is still hear supporting offshore racing as they have been for the last 40 or so years.....so Vortec tried, there was KS&W/Eickert , OMC/second effort was there too....HAWK, United, Baker, Griffin, Troy Dennis, Pfaff many groups have tried ,in offshore racing, and didn't succeed for one reason or another but Mercury has stood strong & we shouldn't bash them for that.
That is quite the spin Ryan. Hardly why OSS is suffering it is your tale you tell how you want. You NEED sponsors so lie to anyone if you feel the need to. The next 3 years will be very tough for most economically. Sponsor money available until 2010 will be a fraction of 2007.

The reality is the racers destroyed powerboat racing commercially and you were a pawn in the game. In the past you were on speedvision just before or after F1 aired on Sunday mornings. Now where are you? why doesnt Mecury have you (TV) where GM did? What has having only one vendor done positive for OSS? Why are race sites not returning for OSS?

Can you imagine NASCAR or F1 if there was only one engine supplier?
Clearly you have learned nothing so keep starving so you can race a boat.
Steve

Last edited by smiklos@sunprint; 10-04-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,
I have a few questions for you.
How many races did you race in this season and last?
Do you just show up for the worlds?
How many boats were in your class when you won high points in '06? and how many did a full season?
What is the reason the vortec for allowed to turn more rpm's when the first showed up.
Did you have to pay for your motor or were you representing?
Where are they now?

Do you have ANYTHING positive to share?
Old 10-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I understand wanting offshore racing to be bigger, less expensive etc... but you have to remember the bottom line, which seems to have been forgotten in some of the replies. PEOPLE RACE BECAUSE THEY ENJOY RACING. sponsors help for 2 reasons, either they enjoy boat racing themselves, or they think it is a viable advertising medium. To gripe about sponsors not doing enough, to dog on merc or whatever is biting the hand that feeds you. TV is in the buisness of of entertainment to make money, they will chose the entertainment that they think will make them the most money. Nascar and F1 are rare exceptions in the racing world, not the norm. Race because you enjoy it, do what you can to make it more fun but sponsors and tv are icing on the cake, it's not part of the contract, it's not something we are entitled to, it's not something we demand it's merely an added bonus that can increase the fun factor. your simply not going to get rich racing boats, your not going to get famous racing boats, your not going to get a 2 million dollar nike endorsment contract racing boats. Race because you enjoy it, if you want to expend more energy work on making it more competitive and fun. Anything beyond that will most likely only succeed in giving you a headache. Gentlemen, race for enjoyment. If racing is causing you stress, and you are not enjoying it, maybe it is time to consider another form of recreation.

to paraphrase a couple ancient proverbs,
the best athlete does not compete for winnings sake, he competes in the spirit of play.

and

if you force something, it will resist.

Last edited by phragle; 10-04-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Registered

you ask " why no TV coverage?" Whens the last time any of you watched an offshore race from shore.Come on! after 3 laps I wasnt even watching and I know everyone out there.If you dont have huge waves its friggin boring.Everyone needs to stop blaming the orgs. and find a way to make it more exciting to watch.Instead of trying to place blame on someone lets try to figure out a new way to bring attention to the sport.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
I understand wanting offshore racing to be bigger, less expensive etc... but you have to remember the bottom line, which seems to have been forgotten in some of the replies. PEOPLE RACE BECAUSE THEY ENJOY RACING. sponsors help for 2 reasons, either they enjoy boat racing themselves, or they think it is a viable advertising medium. To gripe about sponsors not doing enough, to dog on merc or whatever is biting the hand that feeds you. TV is in the buisness of of entertainment to make money, they will chose the entertainment that they think will make them the most money. Nascar and F1 are rare exceptions in the racing world, not the norm. Race because you enjoy it, do what you can to make it more fun but sponsors and tv are icing on the cake, it's not part of the contract, it's not something we are entitled to, it's not something we demand it's merely an added bonus that can increase the fun factor. your simply not going to get rich racing boats, your not going to get famous racing boats, your not going to get a 2 million dollar nike endorsment contract racing boats. Race because you enjoy it, if you want to expend more energy work on making it more competitive and fun. Anything beyond that will most likely only succeed in giving you a headache.

to paraphrase a couple ancient proverbs,
the best athlete does not compete for winings sake, he competes an the spirit of play.

and

if you force something, it will resist.
in some crazy way i agree. I think sponsors first need to see a product they want to endorse. yes, we all do this because its fun. I believe, when most of us started racing, we were not thinking bout having someone ie: a sponsor, picking up the tab for our hobby. Boat racing is an expensive hobby no doubt. We do it because we love it. When it stops being fun we quit because there is no other motivating factor. Im am the perfect example. I let my feelings toward certain people get in the way of doing something I once enjoyed very much. For the most part, I enjoy hanging with most of you guys and enjoy the comraderie and competition. But all the politics continues to get in the way of moving forward. Every organization has their own adjenda, none of which is wrong. We, as racers need to join together for the good of that ultimate goal. Sending a message to potential sponsors that we have a marketable product. Hey ...if congress can get together and piss away 700 billion dollars, we certainly can agree to make a better show for the general public. Its too late to point fingers at the cause of the collapse, and it only does more harm to an already fragmented sport. Its done but not forgotten. All we can do is move forward in a positive manner.

peace out
Old 10-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

one last piece of of warped wisdom..
If we have one foot in the problems of the past
and one foot in the dreams of the future
we are in the perfect position to piss on today
Old 10-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF
. Hey ...if congress can get together and piss away 700 billion dollars, we certainly can agree to make a better show for the general public.
I almost snort-laughed when I read that.
As funny as it was, it's also true. Just my opinion, but we first have to think "what is best for the sport, NOT what is best for Mercracing"
Old 10-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Registered

this thread is taking on a somewhat strayed direction,

but............

As long as we can fairly tech other motors, I dont really have a problem with it. However, I am extremely pleased with Merc, as is most other teams using them, which is why we voted to use them as the only engine. At this point, no one is forcing us to run Merc, we choose to. So, why is it such a big issue?

Quick Reply: SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS Can we grow together?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.