Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Key West New P Class rules

ttt how about some input
Old 10-20-2004, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Re: Key West New P Class rules

Scott, I agree with you that this rule change will effectively eliminate all the legitimate p 5 boats. It is impossible to build engines in a couple of weeks to compete in the newly developed p 5 class. As always these organizations can never leave well enough alone. How can a single engine 24 ft. boat compete with a 32 twin engine rocket in the kind of water we find in Key West. The things no one is thinking about is how fast your boat goes when it is trimmed in and your tabs are down. You scrub off a lot of speed and the high powered twin engine boats can trim in and still run 70 mph. A smaller single engine or a properly powered twin engine boat has no shot to win unless every other boat breaks down. I don't think I even will bring my boat down to race because of this change. Who wants to back in to win? Parity is gone for this class, unless you want to spend a hell of a lot more money to try to win a $5 trophy.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, my turn to belly ache....

The Konrad/Fountain of Youth has been tuned to run APBA P4 speeds for two years now, and as long as equipmment gremlins stay away, it's very competitive in it's class. We have never broken out of our class, and the best lap speed we have ever turned was 72.92 in Grand Haven this year.

We have raced two joint APBA/SBI races - Sarasota and Deerfield. In Sarasota, we had the Swipes team 3 boat lengths in front of us, and were runnning along side of Liquid Assets when our tranny let loose. 9 other P4 boats were behind us. In Deerfield, we ran a consistent 2nd place out of 5, again with Swipes in the lead, and Liquid Assets not far behind. This was close P4 racing with relative parity between APBA and SBI.

With our experiences running against SBI boats, we were seriously considering registering with both orgs for the Worlds next month. With Key West waters, I don't think a breadout with APBA's 79.9 top speed would be an issue, so our primary mission would be to stay within the 69.9 avg lap speed.

These new rules have changed everything. As ScottB points out, P4 SBI boats will now be running in the 84-85mph range, and will walk away from the APBA P4 boats. Maybe this is SBI's intention, but it does nothing for parity. Scotts suggestion for setting the SBI P class avg lap speeds at x4.9 mph (P4 at 74.9) makes a ton of sense. If parity is the intention, this would do it.

Otherwise, SBI has just lost their opportunity for my registration $$. I'll stick with APBA, where my boat is tuned to run. I'm guessing it's too late for any additional changes at this point. For that matter, it's kinda late in the season for any class changes, in my opinion.

See everyone in Key West.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 10-21-2004, 09:21 AM
Registered

Let's see... bigger cams, new carbs, dyno time to get things just right...
then there's stick time to dial in a different set of props.

Three weeks in the Spring time might be a worthwhile effort, but three weeks in 50 degree weather and 45 degree water temps doesn't sound very attractive.

I'll run what I've got and hope for the best. There will be a number of other teams running new equipment, so I'll just have to rely on my proven setup staying in one piece.

See you there.
Brian
Old 10-21-2004, 09:49 AM
Registered

Make sure you bring along some goose down long johns

We're leaving Friday afternoon, and driving straight through. Bob will be helping with the drive. Our target is to make the parade on Sunday, with a bug covered truck and boat.

Cheers,
Brian