Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MIlander--where you located near up on the river
Old 06-22-2011, 01:23 PM
GRH
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I just read that you need a passport to enter Canada now.... "Enhanced" NY Drivers license is no longer acceptable as of 07/01/2011?
Old 06-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by GRH
I just read that you need a passport to enter Canada now.... "Enhanced" NY Drivers license is no longer acceptable as of 07/01/2011?
GRH where did you read that? Find that one a little harder to believe but I cannot say for certain as I have been using my Nexus for years now and wont go back with the the flexibility it gives me as long as the program stays active
Old 06-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cuposterchild
Minx,

How's everything going! I have been digging through this a little more and have some connections with customs that I will be talking to next week to get the details. Bottom line this is an old regulation that was just loosely enforced. This is from the official statement by both the US and Canadian officials

"only exception, according to the State Department, is for boaters traveling through Canadian waters from one U.S. point to another, and without stopping along the way.

In replying to questions about the issue, the State Department and the Canada Border Services Agency each forwarded a document outlining the Canadian policy, spelling out what sorts of trips do not require reporting.

"In-transit movement must be continuous, uninterrupted and without delays or stop-overs. Such movement could be for reasons of the shortest route, requirement of deep waters, evading obstacles such as bridges, etc.," the document states

So Minx. Say I am coming down the channel from my place and near Singer castle I decide to take the Canadian Channel to Potters vs the US main shipping channel. As long as I don't stop and am going directly to a US stop via Canadian water should be no problem.
What if you just want to cruise from your place to Kingston and back to your place? Basically, just take a ride around and look at the sights, is this legal?

Ken
Old 06-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by minxguy
What if you just want to cruise from your place to Kingston and back to your place? Basically, just take a ride around and look at the sights, is this legal?

Ken
So THAT is what I am going to start digging into....according to what I am reading it doesn't seem you can, but technically you are staying underway, going to and ending in a US point, not going to Canada or stopping in Canadian waters etc. My gut is telling me that as long as you keep moving you should be fine but it goes back to how they want to enforce that regulation. So case in point I took a cruise over to Brockville cruised the harbor without intent to get out never stopped turned around and went back out and back to the US. Technically I could guess I could get nabbed but I would need to get a copy of that document that outlines the "etc" from that article.

Last edited by cuposterchild; 06-22-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:48 PM
GRH
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

GRH where did you read that? Find that one a little harder to believe but I cannot say for certain as I have been using my Nexus for years now and wont go back with the the flexibility it gives me as long as the program stays active
At the Post Office while applying for a passport.....
Old 06-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Registered

I have boated both sides of the border in these waters for 20 years without incident. doing your job is one thing but harassing some poor guy out fishing seems unreasonable despite what the letter of the law may say and can only lead to retaliation and problems for us all
Old 06-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Rules are rules, read the article. I guess it's a little on the fringe. They do require you call in if fishing in their waters, did not, so got the shaft. Maybe an early season example.

I've run both sides of this river since I was a child, never a problem with the Canadian authorities. I land I call in, I respect their laws, not a single incident in some 40+ years. For years I have made the rest stop in Big Sand Bay after a venture onto Lake Ontario, assuming sitting a reasonable distance from shore and not anchored I was ok. Have seen their patrol boats go by without incident, lucky or right I do not know. Will have to check into this when we get in the water and start to run around.

Frankly in the 1000 Island area the CG and the NYSP are very reasonable in their approach to things. The PIA is the NY Park Police, ran out of squirels to chase so they have turned their attentions to law respecting boaters. I have always been treated better by Canadian authorities when landing in their country than I get treated by the U.S. authorities when trying to come home.

Welcome to Canada! Have a nice day!
'F you Azzhole, We don't care where you were born or live.
Something wrong with that whole deal in my opinion. But what do I know???
Old 06-23-2011, 06:34 AM
Registered

So THAT is what I am going to start digging into....according to what I am reading it doesn't seem you can, but technically you are staying underway, going to and ending in a US point, not going to Canada or stopping in Canadian waters etc. My gut is telling me that as long as you keep moving you should be fine but it goes back to how they want to enforce that regulation. So case in point I took a cruise over to Brockville cruised the harbor without intent to get out never stopped turned around and went back out and back to the US. Technically I could guess I could get nabbed but I would need to get a copy of that document that outlines the "etc" from that article.
cup, thanks for looking into this.

Please post if and when you find a correct answer.

I wonder how this effects the tour boat traffic and the PRA run in August?

Thanks for your help.

Ken
Old 06-23-2011, 07:04 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by minxguy
cup, thanks for looking into this.
Well like I said...there is a LOT more "patroling" in this area then most people know and see. Drones/high flying aircraft, on shore spotters, large increase in patrols from my place to Alex Bay etc. I drove down one strech of road two weeks ago and shortly after there was a MASSIVE Border Patrol stop in the same spot I had driven through not long before. Also this area of the river has seen a LARGE increase in patrol and "suspicious" activity. Heard of boats getting dumped and rolling into people's docks after being half sunk from smuggling and boat ramps in the area are now being watched VERY closely. So do I think there could be more to it....maybe maybe not but again there are the rules in place and it isn't up to us how they are enforced. I would just expect them to get enforced a little more heavily now so one should know them. Minx like I said if you stay underway I don't think you are going to have a problem but will ask around. I have a call out to NEXUS too about a couple things and will try and get a paper copy of the act (having trouble finding it online) referenced in the article. BTW I totally agree with Ragged. I have been living on the border and going across with a bit of frequency for the last 20 years and the US BP ALWAYS seems to have more of an "attitude".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.