Notices

Canadian Customs

Old 06-23-2011, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by cuposterchild
Well like I said...there is a LOT more "patroling" in this area then most people know and see. Drones/high flying aircraft, on shore spotters, large increase in patrols from my place to Alex Bay etc. I drove down one strech of road two weeks ago and shortly after there was a MASSIVE Border Patrol stop in the same spot I had driven through not long before. Also this area of the river has seen a LARGE increase in patrol and "suspicious" activity. Heard of boats getting dumped and rolling into people's docks after being half sunk from smuggling and boat ramps in the area are now being watched VERY closely. So do I think there could be more to it....maybe maybe not but again there are the rules in place and it isn't up to us how they are enforced. I would just expect them to get enforced a little more heavily now so one should know them. Minx like I said if you stay underway I don't think you are going to have a problem but will ask around. I have a call out to NEXUS too about a couple things and will try and get a paper copy of the act (having trouble finding it online) referenced in the article. BTW I totally agree with Ragged. I have been living on the border and going across with a bit of frequency for the last 20 years and the US BP ALWAYS seems to have more of an "attitude".
Where exactly do you see this rule? I have done a little poking around and I sure can't find it:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost...0&postcount=20

And here:

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...6/-1/OPINION02

And good discussion with links here:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65608

All I have learned from my searching is to get the flare gun off the boat and don't pop open a beer on Ontario waters.

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 06-23-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Where exactly do you see this rule? I have done a little poking around and I sure can't find it:All I have learned from my searching is to get the flare gun off the boat and don't pop open a beer on Ontario waters.
Third...regulation I quoted in post 11 was the one that both the US and Canadian agencies quoated in this article.
http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...229942/-1/news
I am going to check again tonight if I can find this "act" and its definition. Curious around the etc. and if its truly spelled out that way. I also will be requesting it in paper copy once I get a call back from NEXUS on some information around my account that needs updating if they can get it to me. Yeah the beer thing I don't even chance. Better to check in and anchor (which btw think there is portable head regulations for overnighting would need to go back through my notes---yes I have a notebook on this stuff I used to carry in one of my old boats when I was younger) or tie up to the dock.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by cuposterchild
Third...regulation I quoted in post 11 was the one that both the US and Canadian agencies quoated in this article.
http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...229942/-1/news
I am going to check again tonight if I can find this "act" and its definition. Curious around the etc. and if its truly spelled out that way. I also will be requesting it in paper copy once I get a call back from NEXUS on some information around my account that needs updating if they can get it to me. Yeah the beer thing I don't even chance. Better to check in and anchor (which btw think there is portable head regulations for overnighting would need to go back through my notes---yes I have a notebook on this stuff I used to carry in one of my old boats when I was younger) or tie up to the dock.
I'd really like to see the official law. Not people stating differing opinions. I have googled this to death and I cannot find an official law backing that up. This directly affects me as I regularly boat in international waters.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:06 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I'd really like to see the official law. Not people stating differing opinions. I have googled this to death and I cannot find an official law backing that up. This directly affects me as I regularly boat in international waters.
I hear ya...just using more tribal knowledge picked up from dealing with this over the last 20 years...hoping to get something official to post up here...will keep you guys posted...till then learn up on all the local and Coast Gaurd rules for all the waters you boat in....will save you some headache at some point. Also just from my experience more beneficial to look into this stuff after or before you are stopped not during....has NEVER worked out well in my favor when I start asking a lot of questions during a screening/stop.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:45 AM
Registered

something that we're unaware of is definitely up, from Ogdensburg NY to Alex Bay NY by road Border Patrol is absolutely "THICK" . The last time I traveled that way to Aquamania in Abay there were so many patrol vehicles on the road it was like driving through a dam 40 mile MAZE
Old 06-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 2KOOLPerformance
something that we're unaware of is definitely up, from Ogdensburg NY to Alex Bay NY by road Border Patrol is absolutely "THICK" . The last time I traveled that way to Aquamania in Abay there were so many patrol vehicles on the road it was like driving through a dam 40 mile MAZE
Yup---not a place to be messing around. Haven't had any run ins on the water this year yet though but see the boys on patrol every morning and every night. Suppose to be a lot of movement in the stretch from the Berg to Alex bay....they have staffed up BIG TIME in the last year (forgot the exact number of officers that brought in just for that section)>

Last edited by cuposterchild; 06-23-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Registered

no worries if you blow a flat in that area L! there would be 1000 officers there in seconds, its' almost harrassing to drive that hwy right now

maybe a mega dope smuggling thing
Old 06-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must agree, there is a definate increase in the number of Border Patrol vehicles running around.

Spoke to Superintendent Craig Kennedy at 613-659-2301
and he said "if you are in transit in Canadian waters, no problem, you do not have to report. You stop to fish, take a dip, float, what ever, but you are no longer in transit, you MUST stop at customs pr be subject to fines and or boat seizure.

Ken
Old 06-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there have been a couple of incidents of human trafficing in the last month with arrests in Brockville and Ogdensburg so I would expect an increased border patrol presence
Old 06-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Frankly I believe many are getting way to involved in this without an understanding of what the root cause of the problem really is here. This individual was required, Canadian fish license aside, to call in the fact that he was fishing in Canadian waters. Plain and simple he failed to do that, he got caught and that is the end of the story. There is a big HoHa on facebook about his right now as well. Lots of irate people yapping about something they have not read the facts on.

Very simple deal here, you are in their water, obey their laws, have a nice day.

This area is a mess lately, Mohawks on the Res think they are above the law and run chit back and forth. Many incidents of human smugling on both sides of the river, they are watching more than ever before. Just do what is right and likely you will not have a problem.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 06-23-2011 at 09:32 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.