Notices

Canadian Customs

Old 06-24-2011, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Very simple deal here, you are in their water, obey their laws, have a nice day.
I agree - the outrage is over the top. If its the law, then so be it... If you don't like it - don't go.

But I think 99% of American boaters in the river have been living under the assumption of the Anchor/Canadian Soil rule.... I know I have for the last 20 years.

If its going to be enforced differently for the future, thats fine - I'd just like to see the law published for awareness.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Registered

So much for musky fishing out there....
Old 06-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by kjo43
I agree - the outrage is over the top. If its the law, then so be it... If you don't like it - don't go.

But I think 99% of American boaters in the river have been living under the assumption of the Anchor/Canadian Soil rule.... I know I have for the last 20 years.

If its going to be enforced differently for the future, thats fine - I'd just like to see the law published for awareness.

I will admit that I too have always gone on the assumption that setting anchor in their waters ment you had landed, floating for a bit was ok. The river is a big place, lots of space to float on our side of the dotted line.

Wonder where one could find the written version of the law?
Old 06-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Wonder where one could find the written version of the law?
That's the million dollar question. Too much speculation and interpretations on this. Where is the written law?
Old 06-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I grew up on lake erie with my older brother, way way before 911. I remember him telling me that its not all about boating in international water but the fishing part they have always been very strict about. Unless i missed some of the story, i'm guessing it mostly had to do about fishing in their waters without a license.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Today, FC held Skaterfest on Lake St. Clair and they first came down the Detroit River to the Ambassador Bridge and turned around to head back up the Canadian Shoreline of Downtown Windsor on their way to the Blue Water Bridge. There were tons of Police Enforcement boat out there for the International Tug Boat Race and festivities on the Detriot and Windsor waterfronts. I never seen anybody get stopped as the flew buy the Police boats.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Registered

Frankly I believe many are getting way to involved in this without an understanding of what the root cause of the problem really is here. This individual was required, Canadian fish license aside, to call in the fact that he was fishing in Canadian waters. Plain and simple he failed to do that, he got caught and that is the end of the story. There is a big HoHa on facebook about his right now as well. Lots of irate people yapping about something they have not read the facts on.

Very simple deal here, you are in their water, obey their laws, have a nice day.

This area is a mess lately, Mohawks on the Res think they are above the law and run chit back and forth. Many incidents of human smugling on both sides of the river, they are watching more than ever before. Just do what is right and likely you will not have a problem.
+1
Old 06-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Registered

much has changed both sides of the border since 911.... and none of it for the better
American paranoia and over protectionism like when the us border guard says i have to ask permission to go on holidays in the us
and spineless Canada following suit because when they **** on a plate in Washington they eat it in Ottawa

im a dinosaur in a brave new world..........

just phone ahead and find out from the hoses mouth what the rules are........ they almost change on a daily basis anyways...... depends on the wind i guess.......
Old 06-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

so i see a few guys have nexus cards. anyone doing I-68's anymore? after i go into canada i don't want to have to stop off at the castle and check back into the US. can take too long and too painful with 4 kids.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
That's the million dollar question. Too much speculation and interpretations on this. Where is the written law?

Well I did do some searching for the law, no luck at all. I assume they just want to keep us guessing. Did come to the conclusion that both sides are throwing some serious money at protecting all of us from ourselves. I am just F'n thrilled, I would hate to smuggle in some illegal POS that would take my job and my social insecurity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.