Notices

going to look at the army boat

Old 03-22-2016, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by outonsafari
trying to get a few pics up,

cant post pics, wanted to post 4 pics c/w the repair

i'm 50/50 on the thing because of the repair and i'm worried about rot because it's sitting outside
plus i spoke to some people about what i seen concerning the repair and the possibility of unseen issues that extend past the fix
that wont show up till i stuff it or something, and i can't afford to be wrong on the hull if it's fubar or rotted
but it is a cool boat didn't think i'd like the black but it grew on me,
got nothing but good to say about the owner, he didn't try to pretty it up or hide nothing and he's easy to talk to, a nice hard working guy.

the repair is on the port side and into the deck in front of the fairing
it's a little wavy and some print thru on the side and there's a couple long arch shaped spider web cracks on the edge of the deck repair

guess i'll make a decision by the end of the week, called the owner today so he didn't think i was blowing him off but got the answer machine

thanks again to everyone for the input, and advice
i really appreciate it
dan
You can post pictures by using photobucket.com. Or email them to me and ill post them for you. My email is [email protected].

As far wavy hull sides... .My F1 boat does not have a perfectly smooth hull side. You can actually see where the bulk heads are. So if thats what you are seeing.... Dont worry.

As far as spider cracks... is it just the gel coat that has them? It shouldnt be a issue. These boats are built for ocean racing when in pleasure built. And even more overbuilt for actual racing.

When it comes to pantera boats. Not one is the same. Even if they are made to be the same. They are not. My black F1 and the White F1 boat were said to be the same. And they are not. My boat only has a 85 galon tank. The white boat has around 140. The white boat has a few different braces that run from the outer stringer in the engine bay to the hull sides. Mine does not.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

the wavy i see is the repair
the spider cracks are on the edge of the repair that extends in to the deck about 1 1/2 feet
i'll bet the pics off to you and thanks for that

the repair on the side and deck line up and look like one of those beer sponsors surfboard with a shark bite out of it

Last edited by outonsafari; 03-22-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 03-23-2016, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

thanks for throwing those up there
Old 03-23-2016, 05:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Not to rain on your parade, but unless you are getting that boat for around 7k or less, I'd pass.
You will have 40 plus thousand in it to make it decent. I'm speaking from experience here. I have hull #2 and I'm just over 40k with me doing 100% of the work myself, including all the glass, body work and paint.

You will be at half the money and 3 to 5 years ahead by buying one of the two really nice and nicely priced 24's in the classifieds.

I'm building mine as I enjoy the project phase of ownership. Other than that, it's a fools game to pour money into one of these boats.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You [QUOTE=vintage chromoly;4419844]Not to rain on your parade, but unless you are getting that boat for around 7k or less, I'd pass.
You will have 40 plus thousand in it to make it decent. I'm speaking from experience here. I have hull #2 and I'm just over 40k with me doing 100% of the work myself, including all the glass, body work and paint.

You will be at half the money and 3 to 5 years ahead by buying one of the two really nice and nicely priced 24's in the classifieds.

I'm building mine as I enjoy the project phase of ownership. Other than that, it's a fools game to pour money into one of these boats.[
You done yet? Can't wait to see it
Old 03-23-2016, 06:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=class6;4419856]You
Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
Not to rain on your parade, but unless you are getting that boat for around 7k or less, I'd pass.

I'm building mine as I enjoy the project phase of ownership. Other than that, it's a fools game to pour money into one of these boats.[
You done yet? Can't wait to see it
I'm rounding year 5. I'm optimistic that this year it will get wet. Putting the final plumbing on the engine to be ready for dyno. Mr. Gadgets is finishing the drive. I have just about all the sub assemblies ready and laying in wait.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Haven't posted in awhile......
I can tell you this, the 24 Pantera is a great boat, I've owned 2.
Like anything else in life, just depends what you want.
I like the black race 24 (bulkheads are cool too) but 7-9k is my take.
More towards 7 for me but someone might want it for 10.
Project, cool hull to start with, turmkey definitely the white one in California.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The 24 Pantera is a great boat. I had a 2002 with a 496HO. I can't figure out what I am seeing in the one side picture looking down the side. What I'm seeing must be an illusion or something. It looks like a terrible amateur repair. If it is what it looks to be, I would not touch this one.....
Old 03-24-2016, 09:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

Just looks like an old boat that needs everything replaced. Unless your joy of owning a boat is the rebuild process and making something old look new again, I'd keep looking. Seems there are a couple on the market at the moment, maybe an extra 10k on purchase will save you 6 months work and 15k long term?

I think it's a question of what do you really want to do with the boat? Enjoy it and customize/fix a few things to make it special or do you want a big project to rebuild from the bottom up? Remember, it doesn't matter what you have at the end, age and history will always dictate value to some degree.

Good luck!

RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.