Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Poker Runs and Boating Events
Extreme boats magazine Poker Run Article ?!?!? >

Extreme boats magazine Poker Run Article ?!?!?

Notices
View Poll Results: Does the EBM article speak the truth
Yes
40.63%
No
47.66%
No Opinion
11.72%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Extreme boats magazine Poker Run Article ?!?!?

Old 12-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Extreme boats magazine Poker Run Article ?!?!?

Originally Posted by KLAATU
( tone is injected by the reader ,We all take it the way WE choose ,not alway's the way the writer meant it. )

To me this article show's to gov- regulater's that you are working on solution's early yourselve's , so as not to need outside regulation.

I became very interested in PR's after the article . I had no idea how much fun you guy's were having .

Don't start eating your'e young and ruin it like we did in offshore.

I live in Key West , which PR is the closest and soonest .
( and one with a hooters close by )
I as well as other took the tone to be very negative, mostly with the unfair comparisons and statements like"If you like driving as fast as possibe, side-by-side then please take the Race to on of the offshore racing Organization. But please leave the poker runs to the those boaters who are there to have a good time on the water." I see that as condensending and arrogant". I like to do both and do on most runs. Since you haven't attended the runs then you may not understand it or take it as personal as we do.
I'm glad your thinking about doing some runs, Your right, we are having alot of fun, but with articles like this they won't be around for long.

Last edited by 44MTI; 12-02-2005 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still trying to figure out why we are being lectured by people that don't even run in poker runs... Do you guys have any frigging clue how many boats run in poker runs/fun runs year around? Compare that number to number of boats at your "professional races" and then compare the number of accidents. It should become very clear to you. If you still can't do the math, let me know and I will do it for you.

I don't owe anyone an apology or anything else for that matter.

Dean
Old 12-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mark Mathews
Dean,

Sorry you feel you're being lectured too. How many deaths is accpetable in Poker/Fun runs? Just curious.
The one major incident that eveyone keeps going to, Unfortunately, was not caused because of speed as many want to think. It may have been a contributing factor, but a basic human error caused it. I have been been thrown out of a top gun going half their speed because of the same mistake. There are always going to be incidents, you must accept that. If not your only fooling yourself, if that is the case you should stop driving any boats, cars, flying in planes or anything else. We have to make this as safe as possible keep the accident rate as low as possible. Which I think we are doing a pretty good job of, but there is always room for improvement.

What many of us don't care for are writers and racers,many of whom have never been on a run, telling us how unsafe and irresponsilble we are when are accident to participation rate is much better.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:49 AM
Registered

Where did I say any death was acceptable?
Please don't try to take my post out of context.
How many deaths have there been racing?
I merely stated a few facts that you won't acknowledge

Safety should be addressed but not the way it was published in EBM.

There are thousands more boats that run poker/fun runs compared to racing. Would you like to compare the accident to boat ratio?

A poker run is not a race.

I have personally run in a lot of poker runs over the years with probably more than 2,000 boats. I can't recall anyone ever being injured or killed.

People that don't run in the poker/fun runs should stay out of this.

Dean
Old 12-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Registered

Mark,
I will agree with you on the safety equipment. Don't you think that could be addressed without a bs story in EBM?
Dean
Old 12-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Registered

Sorry, I guess I should have broken it down a little further for you.
People that don't have first hand knowledge and try to act as though they do should stay out of this.
Is that better?
Old 12-03-2005, 01:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by KLAATU
So the guy who publicised what went wrong ,when the "Space Shuttle Challenger" exploding during take off ,should have never printed that article ?

Wouldn't that just be dandy ? Forget the O ring problem Or dated shelf product's night mare ! It might upset people in the industry .

Yes It is relative! Dangers were exposed and dealt with .
Now we have a much safer program . It's about live's . Maybe your'es , or your'e child's ,OR MINE !!!

Journalist's have a responsibility to point out both the good and bad in any thing they cover .

Had he had that info and not passed it on , The next death surely could weigh on his conscious .I know it would mine .

I'm not a Ron P. lover by any mean's . we,ve had our disagreement's , but he is justified in this arena on this subject .
I wish if you had something positive or constructive to say you would do so instead of this BS. I am sorry but that is the way I feel. I don't mind having a meaningful debate with someone, not an argument. But I see no comparison between the shuttle and this accident. This accident was caused be a human mistake, plain and simple. The shuttle accident was caused by a mechanical failure.

Last edited by 44MTI; 12-03-2005 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mark Mathews

I hear where your coming from. Again, maybe you should take a step back a look at the potential good this discussion could do instead of defending a what I perceive is a "we're good enough and we don't need your input to make us better" position.

Anyhow, I've said my peace. You guys won't have to listen to my lecture anymore on this thread.
I have NEVER said we are "good enough", In fact if you look at my post I think I have made a point to always say there is room for improvement.I may be a little to close to the flame on this one but I still believe the record will back me, that given the number of boats and events each yr, verses the accidents we are doing pretty good, with room for improvement, much better than the racers and much better than Ron portrayed us as. And that is my basis for complaint against him. If you can show me where the percentage of accident verses attendance is greater for poker runs than races I will gladly apologize. Until then, I think he owes us an topology.
PS. I do appreciate your fairness and common sense in this debate. Now if you want to have some fun come run with us before they are gone.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Racer
Racer

I race and poker run, fact is no one should get hurt or killed in either, but its a high speed event (both race and fun runs). Safety should be # 1, sometimes people can be hazardous in both venues , so before we lose all our freedoms we should police our own events and eliminate the a-holes who put us all at risk, like a 150 mph cat loaded with novices passing a 50 mph vee-hull within 30' and i could go on. Just because some one brings up a negative about poker runs or racing, doesn't mean there wishing for them to end. Maybe its just a wake up call.

Have fun and be safe,
Louietherigger
Old 12-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Fact is, Poker runs are set up and monitored differently all over the country. People who claim they never have problems with boater's racing or booze and all wear the correct gear and everyone behaves so they are offended are part of the problem. We get out of hand, and we do it often. There is a large enough part of the boaters who are racing. We should police, and do it aggresively. But we will argue and get insulted and ignore the truth. So in the end, on Long Island or in Miami or on Lake Tahoe someone is going to kill or get killed and the media will push the issue forward for us. We will loose control and laws will be made. So while we piss at Ron, and get annoyed that his view does not represent our view in our corner of the globe we miss the boat..... It will play out and we will loose this battle.

Last edited by nolimits; 12-03-2005 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Extreme boats magazine Poker Run Article ?!?!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.