Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
Newbie 21' scarab build >

Newbie 21' scarab build

Notices

Newbie 21' scarab build

Old 08-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I emailed msd about seeing if they have a way to allow for the shift interrupter switch to work with their system for these engines. I'll let you know what i find out from them. I have a post going about what all is needed to do a full LS swap and you are more than welcome to add any suggestions or comments from your experiance. I'm sure you are going to fab up your own adaptor plates to go from the four bolt to three bolt set up. I've found tons of them on ebay for 25 to 80 bucks depending on how pretty you want them..lol
Old 08-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Registered

[IMG]boat.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-20-2013, 10:08 PM
Registered

tried to post pics of my boat but its saying not authorized.

A little about mine..
I used the hi tek stainless headers, and made the pipes out the back. bit the bullet and got the hardin marine pump. mines a bravo so I didn't have another choice that i found. i think i got the first hardin pump for the ls sold! not sure if it will work correctly with the ls1, but on my 5.3 it was way too short and when bolted on it hit the water pump. I made a bracket to bring it out to line up to the serp belt and it works fine. sucks to pay $900 and then have to modify. you cant use a crank mount pump on these engines with the stock harmonic balancer because its like a thin 3 spoke design. unless you modify the ? i used a stand alone setup from shwanke engines for the electronics and fuel system. great product. and they have everything for 850. ecm, harness, fuel pump, fuel lines, fittings, fuse block, relay. the bravo coupler bolts up to a stock manual trans flywheel without the locating dowels. i used adjustable conversion motor mounts. closed cooling from seakamp. lots of fun matching up the boat harness to the new one.

its hitting a power loss and detonation at 58mph no matter which prop i use. tried 19p and 23p and some random 4 blade i don't know the pitch of. i need to check fuel pressure because its detonating real bad at that speed. i think the fuel pump is not keeping up. not real worried about it as it runs great otherwise, and im probably procharging it this winter so fuel and tuning setup will change anyway.
great power to get on plane and midrange is awesome. it cruises nice at about 42mph at 3200 rpm. got probably 300 miles on it so far. bunch of trips from quantico to Fairview and once into dc. sounds like a open headers vette! so much different than old school sound.

any suggestions on how to post pics and ill get them up.

250kelly, i will see you on the water if you run the Potomac!
Old 08-20-2013, 11:40 PM
Registered

use photobucket? thats all I'm using I have a couple threads, one as you know is the LS swap details, the other is a rebuild on my boat.

I love the work done so far on here. If my budget wasnt stretched currently I'd have to follow suit and paint mine... I'm drooling of what you have done so far. I'm still trying to find the perfect LQ4 for mine, but patients sometimes pays off. I love seeing some of the smaller boats getting attention. Granted who doesn't love seeing a monster twin drive boat all done up... I just think these 21' scarabs are pretty bad a$$ little hot rods.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:14 PM
Registered

MSD responded, the interrupter switch can not be interfaced with their unit. However, as far as I can tell. If you wired up the interrupter switch to the main power line, it would cut the power and cause the engine to studder. as far as I can tell it should work just like the OEM when it grounds out the dizzy. it happens so fast that you have restored power before the crank can come to a full stop. So, assuming I'm right it would resume operating. only one way to find out however...
Old 08-23-2013, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great thanks for the info. yea idk what to do about that . im wondering if the repeated on and off lot power to the msd box is bad. il look at it when I get home cause im thinking I could just run the switch through the ground wire for the crank sensor. im in the hospital now for the night I was cutting tree down in the yard and limb fell on my head had a concussion and neck is sore so prolly wont get to do any thing til monday
Old 08-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Registered

Ouch damn man glad you're okay. Yeah the sensor might work better. Simply have it cut the signal instead of grounding it. All you need to do it cause an engine studder for a fraction of a second.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea good idea. hey did any body see the new episode of legend Shelby the swamp man? the one came on this week he hits something and the dogbox flies off and you see a vortec block sitting there! I guess marine power got ahold of it and put their 6.0 in it. bad ass!

hey ben did you use the factory 5.3 water pump? and can you run yr lab top and get live engine data? I head these motors don't like a lot of advance compared to a 350 especially in a boat
Old 08-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OCCJoe
Your build got my attention because I just recently built one of these boats just to resale . It has a 454 with cam , intake , and carb . I tried a blackhawk on it but then switched to a bravo for the sale . Fun little boat , really easy to drive and turns on a dime . You will enjoy it when your done . Good luck with your build .[ATTACH=CONFIG]505051[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]505052[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]505053[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]505054[/ATTACH]
did you sell boat yet?
Old 08-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Registered

No they don't like a lot of advance I've heard its down around 27 degrees total. I'm planning on the stock pump on my engine. I figured what the hell why not...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.