Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
Never again, probably ! >

Never again, probably !

Notices

Never again, probably !

Old 09-29-2021, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

i cut up a bunch of 1x1 and 1x3 inch pieces along with scraps and with a small demolding wedge got 3 layers of 1708 in there.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:59 AM
Registered

it needed some filling/bodywork, and out of desperation i put 7 drops of white pigment in 4 oz of 635 thin epoxy and 2 scoops of cabosil.
it was like mayo and filled it perfectly but didn't cover because it's swiped on thin.
should have saved the 15 bucks used the gray color i have or spent the 15 on black, it might have covered better and looked better.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 496 Likes on 271 Posts

Looking like progress! Great work as always
I wouldn't be worried about the lack of coverage, if anybody see's it, you have bigger issues!
Old 09-29-2021, 06:34 PM
Registered

Should i start over, sand it down deep enough to be filled and sanded at least twice for coverage and smooth finish ?

Problem is It's a 4 oz mix with 3 oz waste with this epoxy at 3 to 1.
Unless theres a trick to mixing less, weighing it 3 to 1 ?

Last edited by outonsafari; 09-29-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 06:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I am not a resin expert but I would not start over just to get a better cosmetic finish in that location (even though everything you have done so far is flawless). I would just make sure its smooth enough that it will be easy to clean. It's all epoxy so the water will not break anything down, and its on the underside so it will never see UV rays.
As far as mixing a small batch of resin, you just need an accurate scale to reduce the quantities of the ratio down to what you need. I have two scales for measuring resin one is accurate to 0.01g with a max load of 500g for small batches and one accurate to 1g for max weight of 15kg for big tubs.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:24 AM
Registered

well i cut it down and filled it, but it's no better. It was smooth yesterday and is smooth today.
i think that's part of the problem, i know it's supposed to be a bigger area and i'm supposed to fill and sand a hundred times till it's all feathered.
I suck at bodywork, i can shape and rough in to 80 grit, the high grits and all that magic touch is way above and far beyond my capabilities.
Tomorrow i'll wash off the blush and start around the edges with 800 and it'll be what it'll be.

i appreciate that, but the rest of the work isn't flawless in any universe, in some pictures or if ya stand back after it's hosed down it "looks"good,
but i know what good work looks like, this isn't that !

still waiting on floats from holley, want it done and in the water for the packing gland adjustments before i screw the carburetor all up 4 or 5 times.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With regard to your post #164, unless I misread your issue, for a small mix of epoxy I’ve always done it by volume and used a syringe for measurement, and the volume required can be calculated from the products specific gravity
Old 10-07-2021, 05:47 PM
Registered

I googled it ; ""Is specific gravity the same as regular gravity"
Density and Specific Gravity are never the same, because Density has units and Specific Gravity is dimensionless, but they are numerically equal when three conditions are met: (1) Density is measured in grams per cubic centimeter, grams per milliliter, or kilograms per liter; (2) Density and Specific Gravity are .

i appreciate that, i thought it could just be weighed, can't call and ask the supplier what the specific gravity is because they already know how i struggle with just the regular gravity, and everyone on this site already knows im not smart.

Last edited by outonsafari; 10-07-2021 at 05:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
resurrected (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 06:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The technical data should be easily available for the resin you use. I have always been able to get a weight based ratio for epoxy and vinyl ester. I have used syringes for volume measurement before I bought the small scale, and they work well. It is a good option.
The supplier should be able to give you weight based ratios, that's what good customer service is about!
Nobody on this forum is "smart", if we were we wouldn't play with boats!
Old 10-08-2021, 08:45 AM
Registered

Or play with carbs and read books !
with the bowls removed and held upright air can be blown into the supply, when rotated upside down the air is cut off.
the power valve is cracked, i have the correct replacement
everything is here except the floats. Should i throw in the power valve and try it or go all in.
Stupid carburetor, how many times ya think it'll be off and apart again.

i went to the speed shop in cocoa, he's been there 47 years, guys a carb genious, he didn't have floats in stock and has a 2-3 week backlog for a rebuild.

Last edited by outonsafari; 10-08-2021 at 08:52 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.