Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
Never again, probably ! >

Never again, probably !

Notices

Never again, probably !

Old 10-19-2021, 05:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your drivers vent window handle looks like a bit of fabrication needed with a piece of solid aluminum rod, a file and a drill press.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete_5
Your drivers vent window handle looks like a bit of fabrication needed with a piece of solid aluminum rod, a file and a drill press.
Metal fab, body work and welding are currently duking it out for the top spot in the holy trinity of things i suck at.
sea dog via amazon for the latches.
Amazon Amazon

As to the tongue/catwalk, it was a great idea until i priced expanded steel. It may still happen.

Last edited by outonsafari; 10-19-2021 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:52 AM
Registered

the new stuffing box when you looked into/thru it, the rope was a bigger i.d. than the delrin compression washers.

as a result it wouldn't drip correctly as seen in the float test videos. The place i got it from sent a new one out and you can see the rope now.

just be sure i had everything on my end ok i double checked the stern tube, it was the correct diameter and it was centered good but it wasn't perfectly parallel so i shortened, wrapped and sanded it. Luckily i still have access to the easy bake oven secret tool box and got it all straightened out.

If i had to do it over i'd make the stern tube without the bell end on the pvc pipe.

the new carburetor arrived yesterday, if it runs then the timing and adjusting will be done dockside, i hope.

going to pick up a vacuum gauge for the carb tuning this afternoon.
The following 4 users liked this post by outonsafari:
Gimme Fuel (10-22-2021), hblair (10-21-2021), kidturbo (10-21-2021), resurrected (10-22-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 11:09 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,327 Likes on 282 Posts

Your work is top notch Dan. Too bad you're so far off, I'd try to hire you to work on mine.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:58 PM
Registered

I'd really enjoy seeing your boat in person heath but you wouldn't want me to work on it, i follow torque sequence over multiple passes on everything and overthink the simplest stuff and who knows if it's right.

but no matter how hard i try, every day theres a new smudge scuff or smear.

Last edited by outonsafari; 10-21-2021 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:27 PM
Registered

i liked where the boat is on the trailer so the bow stop got made. Paint it and put the hdpe pieces on when it goes in the water.
like i said metal fab, bodywork and welding, the holy trinity of things i suck at.
The following users liked this post:
Gimme Fuel (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your metal fabrication skills are just fine, it looks like you put a fair bit of thought into the design
Old 10-27-2021, 06:32 PM
Registered

No vacuum from here

Vacuum from here on the spacer but it needed 3 hoses jammed together and i'm not sure if it's ok to use that.

thanks pete, the bow stop worked out real good on and off the trailer.

It was a long long day with only idle and timing set, putting it in the water was a bad idea, couldn't get situated so i had to pack it in take it home and start over.

At least i found out the new packing gland doesn't drip at all, the nut is loose and not touching the compression washer so water should be coming in.

the only way to hook up the timing light is jumper cables. The longer it ran the more it cleared up.

the vacuum gauge said late ignition timing and sure enough after setting the jumper cables back up and peeking under the alternator it was at 8.

idle is now 650 and timing is now 11. It sounds pretty good now and ran under a thousand all day until i turned the camera on and gave it a couple shots up to 2200.

the directions for the vacuum gauge now says it needs a carb adjustment, seems like putting it back in the water tomorrow and taking it out will cure the packing gland issue and just running it might do the engine some good, or not i don't know if the out of adjustment carb will damage the engine.

the idle mixture screws were marked, port is 1/2 open, strbrd is 3/8 open, should i start at 1 1/2, is ok to hook the vacuum up on the big hose off the spacer ?

Last edited by outonsafari; 10-27-2021 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2021, 03:17 PM
Registered

Sea trial, it started and idled down nice, nothing seemed out of place and as far as i can see the packing gland nut is so loose the drip is coming out between the threads instead of out of the front of the nut.

admittedly i was skeptical but like captain ron said, "if anythings gonna happen, it'll happen out there"

it didn't sink, didn't leak, didn't blow off any hoses and after an idle stop screw and shift link adjustment

it idles in gear nice, definitely catching f-n-r correctly, making temp oil pressure and charging.

after a half hour of back and forth (in the channel, next to the spoil islands right off christiansons landing grant fl.) at and under 3000 rpm, couldn't resist the temptation and cracked it open.

i was dumbfounded how fast it went, with that 4blade o.j. figured 40 and i'd be happy.

so had to check the gps and fire up the other camera for an up/down wind short run.

this week is fluid changes alignment re check, once over the whole thing and more test runs.

the things a pleasure to tow launch load and run. No issues docking and it was windy and choppy.

Video sound is crappy, no idea what for, towards the end there is an acceleration test
Got some motivation, good advice and tech help from a few members over here otherwise i probably couldn't have got it together and i appreciate that.

It's solid man no rattles and it's pretty smooth too, everyone should have one of these to fun around in.

Last edited by outonsafari; 10-31-2021 at 03:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by outonsafari:
Gimme Fuel (11-01-2021), Tiki Joe (11-01-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Congrats! very nice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.