Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
Never again, probably ! >

Never again, probably !

Notices

Never again, probably !

Old 02-28-2021, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 192 Likes on 102 Posts

mixed up 2 batches of gel with cabosil, the 1 pictured is the thicker, somewhere between mayo and peanut butter, it didn't get used, will save to see what tomorrow looks like after sanding.
the batch used was just barely mayo consistency and it filled in all the pinhole fisheyes the box was covered with.

the benefit from sucking at bodywork and not knowing any better leaves me 1 more trick err act of desperation to finish it.
let you know what it was if it works.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:39 PM
Registered

it was so nice down here today i ended spending 1/2 of it on the board.
the thickened gel worked real good filling the pin holes, that coupled with my boardsanding abilities the box still isnt flat straight or symetrical, but its down to 80 grit and ready for its last round of gel.

The finished product will be 2 things for sure,
1. good enough for who its for
2. good enough for the girls i bring around.

my new slogan is as follows;
I only use the best materials to make up for the obvious lack of skills
Old 03-03-2021, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Your glass and wood-work it top-notch! (as is your perseverance!) It will be an awesome boat!
The following users liked this post:
outonsafari (03-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 02:01 PM
Registered

Thanks cdshack, i appreciate the nice words.

honestly tho cutting and fitting the wood and making the parts isn't that hard.

But fit and finish after glass is tough, dimensions change differently than expected and planned for. The job really doesn't look that good in person, that's why the floor hatches got glassed in.

It would fit and finish better in the end if it was covered with indoor/outdoor to hide the "goof ups and the blend it in a bits"

structurally i'm 100 percent confident in it, cosmetically i'm more of a rough it in and keep it outta direct sunlight type.

if there's gonna be another project it'll have to be a full deck-cockpit liner , there's too much bodywork trying to make stick built look good and that job is better off being left to the pros.

thanks again keeps me motivated.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:37 PM
Registered

shot gel on the dog box today, that's it, not even going to attempt and board it down.
the texture from spraying is nice and even all around, run the buffer call it done.

same plan on the interior hull sides, swiped them good and thin, just enough to fill the fabric and grind marks ,
very little shows thru.
1/2 the price of tough coat going gel and 1 gallon of gel is about the same money for little tin of 3m premium marine filler.
resurrected (03-10-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 02:39 AM
Registered

Still print thru, didn't swipe as good as i thought, but from the handle end of a ski rope it won't look bad at all

Last edited by outonsafari; 03-12-2021 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:06 AM
Registered

beer cooler is perfect centerconsole height, the dam thing has no foam in the lid and you cant step on it like my other one.
My buddy is foaming his gas tank in this week and wants some help, guess whats gonna happen.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:09 AM
Registered

Helped my buddy with his gas tank, some foam found its way into the cooler lid.
Knot 4 Me (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 07:13 AM
Registered

after laying up a second pair of seats with the core 2 inches from the edge to help control the edge thickness, it became obvious the edge is more of a problem than a solution. So, ground the edge off the first pair of seats, rounded them over and ordered more gel.

without the edge the seats look 100x's better and will be easier to cover. This revelation comes from something glassdave told me that i didn't understand and didn't ask why, my personal rule of spare dave of your dumb questions.

Ordering more gel makes sense since there is another mold fashioned up from what we'll call experimental material, plenty of resin, balsa and glass leftover but not enough gel to do both jobs, plus touch up on the hull, well apparently there is a new white i was not made aware of.

seats prepped and masked, mold waxed, gel poured, here we go !

The new white is about a mile down the color chart from the first 4 gallons of white wedding i sprayed all over everything else on this boat, talk about the island of misfit toys, funny thing is the patches here and there around the bottom and hullsides won't stand out as much like the old white would have.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 243 Likes on 152 Posts

Are you planning on still using this to ski with? I ask because as you know they normally have the front passenger seat facing backwards and it looks like you are going to point it forward.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.