Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Anyone running a Freightliner Sportchassis? >

Anyone running a Freightliner Sportchassis?

Notices

Anyone running a Freightliner Sportchassis?

Old 07-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daimler owns the Frieghtliner brand now. So you can pretty much bet that having a Mercedes engine in a new Freightliner will become the defacto standard. You can also bet that their dealer network, which is everywhere, will be properly trained too. I have called just one Freightliner dealer about changing the oil and performing a routine service check and they gave absolutely no indicators that there were any issues working on a Mercedes engine.
Ron
Old 07-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

detroit is MBE MBE is Detroit came from the freightliner sales rep and service writer From our freightliner dealer. Would not be afraid of the MBE, a cat is good as well but just a name recognition as well.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had good luck with my toter, FL70 with Cat 3126E, (Earlier version of the current 7.2L). Upgraded from 250 to 300 with just a software change, mild edge box, good AFE filter, will be selling it soon.

hauling 22k, I would really pass on the light duty engines found in most class 4 and 5 trucks, they are detuned more than the class 3 trucks and they just throw low gearing at it to get the job done.

Mine does fine under 1000 ftlbs grossing 33k sometimes and 28k+ always, you slow down some on the hills but I still pass more semis then them passing me. I get the same to 1mpg less than my Cummins/Dodge towing.

The bigger engines are said to be the way to go by some, but IMHO overkill for most of us hauling race trailer and boats
Attached Thumbnails Anyone running a Freightliner Sportchassis?-im000234-small-.jpg  
Old 07-17-2007, 11:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cattitude
I've had good luck with my toter, FL70 with Cat 3126E, (Earlier version of the current 7.2L). Upgraded from 250 to 300 with just a software change, mild edge box, good AFE filter, will be selling it soon.

hauling 22k, I would really pass on the light duty engines found in most class 4 and 5 trucks, they are detuned more than the class 3 trucks and they just throw low gearing at it to get the job done.

Mine does fine under 1000 ftlbs grossing 33k sometimes and 28k+ always, you slow down some on the hills but I still pass more semis then them passing me. I get the same to 1mpg less than my Cummins/Dodge towing.

The bigger engines are said to be the way to go by some, but IMHO overkill for most of us hauling race trailer and boats

What's that white stuff?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:37 PM
Registered

I drove my friend's 06 Sportchassis today. I was a little disappointed in the ride. I guess I expected it ride ride like my 3500, but the ride was more rough. I guess that wasn't realistic for what the FL is.

I am torn on what to do. I need a truck like this for the weight, but it will be more of a pain around town, it wont fit in the garage, and I'll need to add some custom A/C set up because the back seat gets no air and I have 2 small kids, a 3 y/o and 4 week old baby.

However, there is a ton of room, it is safer when towing, and my Rhino fits on the back of it.

I know a F650 will ride even worse and have less room. However, $100k is a ton for a truck that I like, but at the same time dont like the ride.

Damn.

Now I am stuck.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:26 AM
Registered

was it airbagged at the rear axle? Airseats? I know converted Volvo's are popular becasue the cab is air ride too.

My toter gives a better ride towards the middle/ back, a bit noisier in the cab, air seats but no air ride cab, sill rides nice and with all the wheelbase it's a 1 finger ride at 80, my wife and daughter drive it on long trips sometimes
Old 07-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cattitude
was it airbagged at the rear axle? Airseats? I know converted Volvo's are popular becasue the cab is air ride too.

My toter gives a better ride towards the middle/ back, a bit noisier in the cab, air seats but no air ride cab, sill rides nice and with all the wheelbase it's a 1 finger ride at 80, my wife and daughter drive it on long trips sometimes
Yes, air seats and the rear was bagged as well. There is no adjustment for the air, it is all automatic. I was really expecting it to float a little more than it did.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have several things fighting against you- short wheelbase, tires and weight. Nothing you can do with the short wheelbase. Once you have weight on the back, it should smooth out substantially. You will probably add things like aux tanks, etc and you can always weight it. 19.5 lo-pro tires don't ride very well either. All my trucks have full-size 22.5's on them- both for ride and lifespan, which is much greater. They don't have quite the turning radius, though.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Magic34
Yes, air seats and the rear was bagged as well. There is no adjustment for the air, it is all automatic. I was really expecting it to float a little more than it did.
The seats are adjustable and you can adjust the rear bags by changing the length of the leveling rod but be carefull when doing this as you be taking away capacity from the suspension. Your best bet is to install bags on the cab.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Registered

This is the best way to pull!
Attached Thumbnails Anyone running a Freightliner Sportchassis?-resize1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Anyone running a Freightliner Sportchassis?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.