Notices

duramax or power stroke?

Old 02-15-2008, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thunderusone
Kenny, you are just mad because you totalled the Ranchero with only 6,000lbs behind it as you were searching for your maximum GCVW of another ford product. How'd that werk out fer ya??.......Oh yea.....NOT TOO GOOOOOOOOD! I don't care what anyone says, I dont think that the fact that you were looking for the perfect radio station to suit your mood before you went to sleep had anything to do with the ensuing "baja bomb" that went off. You do get the bananna peel receiver hitch explosion award. The funny thing is.......after the crash.....you were back within spec on your GVW....as your "cargo" was scattered across quite an expansive area.....come to think of it.....I am not the only one who has "towed like a retard" before....., you looked like one of "jerry's kids towing a baja" trying to get home that night....ahhh...the memories....
Damn Brother, I was taking up for ya! That was a John Deere Glastron not a Baja. It's funny now but it sucked then! But it does prove the point we're talking about....Just because you've got the power to pull it doesn't mean it's safe to do it!
Old 02-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyo
Damn Brother, I was taking up for ya! That was a John Deere Glastron not a Baja. It's funny now but it sucked then! But it does prove the point we're talking about....Just because you've got the power to pull it doesn't mean it's safe to do it!
I know....i'm just phucking with you. I still laugh about some of that chit....and then kiss the ground that I am still alive....
Old 02-16-2008, 01:17 AM
Registered

Default Duramax vs Powerstroke

Well if the 6.0 powerstroke had not come out, i would call the thread title a contradiction in terms. The powerstroke 7.3 Deisel ended in 2003 and was in my opinion the best engine I have ever used.

The duramax will not hold up to the punishment of towing everyday like the powerstroke or the Cummins.I just never like the lack of power on the duramax.

The 6.4 is a much improvement over the 6.0 but until the new motor is tested more, i would keep your old 7.3 or cummins.
The ford is without a doubt (not the 6.0) the best nuilt truck for working and hauling out of the three.
Jump_26Transportation
Old 02-16-2008, 07:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderusone
Actually....I am not illegal as hell. The trailer is registered as an RV so I am not bound by the 26K guidlines. I was told that by a tennessee commercial enforcement guy....right or wrong that is good enough for me....since he is the one who writes the tickets around here for this type of stuff. :
With all due respect, your concern shouldn't be the $200 ticket you might get. Your concern is probably better placed in avoiding the possibility of having your insurer deny coverage on a multi-million dollar claim. It's also probably better directed at avoiding a criminal charge in the event someone dies in an accident, considering you knowingly disregarded the mechanical capabilities of your rig. Lastly, My guess is you don't want to live the rest of your life with the burden of having caused the injury or death of another.

The RV registration thing is more of a detriment than a shelter. That shows you're knowingly maneuvering to avoid compliance. If you have to play that card in front of a jury in a civil trial or a reckless homicide prosecution, I don't think they'll buy it. No smart attorney would ever let you try.

No bash intended, just hopefully trying to help you see it from a different perspective.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:28 AM

On the Chevy/Ford argument...

There's a reason that for every Chevy truck in commercial fleet service in the US there are two Fords. Setting aside for a moment the arguments about long-term brand loyalties among fleet buyers and Ford's aggressive marketing to this sector, if Fords possessed a persistent problem with their product, their number would drop.

Of course Ford had some issues with the 6.0 early on. They weren't nearly as rampant as reported. At the same time, anyone who things that GM doesn't have their share of problems is dreaming. I've personally owned 6 or 7 6.0's. I now have an '03 Ex and an '05, plus the shop trucks. The "nightmare" '03 has had minimal work. The '05 has had none. The two '03 shop trucks we had were literally worn out when we dumped them. Over 250K on each. Neither had the engine or trans apart in the entire time we had them.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Rumors

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
On the Chevy/Ford argument...

There's a reason that for every Chevy truck in commercial fleet service in the US there are two Fords. Setting aside for a moment the arguments about long-term brand loyalties among fleet buyers and Ford's aggressive marketing to this sector, if Fords possessed a persistent problem with their product, their number would drop.

Of course Ford had some issues with the 6.0 early on. They weren't nearly as rampant as reported. At the same time, anyone who things that GM doesn't have their share of problems is dreaming. I've personally owned 6 or 7 6.0's. I now have an '03 Ex and an '05, plus the shop trucks. The "nightmare" '03 has had minimal work. The '05 has had none. The two '03 shop trucks we had were literally worn out when we dumped them. Over 250K on each. Neither had the engine or trans apart in the entire time we had them.
It is amazing how people exaggerate a problem when they just plain "want" their truck to be better! I've also owned several fords and some were 6.0's; no problems what-so-ever, over a million miles logged on 7 in 9 years. I love my 6.4 Lariat, It is the nicest truck, inside & out, powertrain included, I have ever seen, period.
Attached Thumbnails duramax or power stroke?-dsc02095.jpg   duramax or power stroke?-dsc02096.jpg   duramax or power stroke?-dsc02097.jpg  

Old 02-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jump_26transport

The duramax will not hold up to the punishment of towing everyday like the powerstroke or the Cummins.I just never like the lack of power on the duramax.

Jump_26Transportation
The duramax's are lasting just as long as the fords. There are a tons of hotshot guys reporting over 200k miles, some over 300k. Lack of power on duramax? They have been consistanly higher than the other two. With tuners, forget about it, they make the most.

Someone last night saw my truck and was asking if I would recommend buying a newer ford. I said the same thing as here. Ford builds the best work truck. They just don't build the best engines. Thats gas and diesel.

The 6.0l was hit and miss. If you have a good one, they are a damn good engine. Its if you have a bad one, and the chances of that scare me away. Also, in terms of driving I don't like the 6.0l torqshift vs. duramax allison combo. I've driven all combinations of both. The duramax keeps the rpms much lower, I always feel like the 6.0l is revving to the moon. Fords shifting strategy is neat. The torqshift is really a 6 speed trans, and they alternate 2nd and 3rd (2b) gear based on temp, loading ext. So it would go 12a345, or 12b345

The 6.4l has been getting good reports, but fuel milleage has been reported everywhere on the low side.

Pros and cons of all 3,the duramax comes out on top.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bottomfeeder
I'm getting 13.6 on my 08 Duramax (empty) with 2300 miles on it,,I think ALL of the new/08 diesels suck for economy,,,I'm curious on what you'll get for MPG with you driving the Chevy versus your brothers driving style
Mileage on the duramax (my driving style) dropped to 14.9, but when i picked up my FORD mpg was still the same. Go figure, different strokes for different folks.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
With all due respect, your concern shouldn't be the $200 ticket you might get. Your concern is probably better placed in avoiding the possibility of having your insurer deny coverage on a multi-million dollar claim. It's also probably better directed at avoiding a criminal charge in the event someone dies in an accident, considering you knowingly disregarded the mechanical capabilities of your rig. Lastly, My guess is you don't want to live the rest of your life with the burden of having caused the injury or death of another.

The RV registration thing is more of a detriment than a shelter. That shows you're knowingly maneuvering to avoid compliance. If you have to play that card in front of a jury in a civil trial or a reckless homicide prosecution, I don't think they'll buy it. No smart attorney would ever let you try.

No bash intended, just hopefully trying to help you see it from a different perspective.
First of all....you are under the assumption that I registered the trailer as an RV as some type of manuver on my part to avoid the 26K guildline which could prove negligence. WRONG! I took the mso from the manufacturer and took it to the TN registration office and that is what I got. I did not know how much it weighed loaded with everything I could ever possibly want to haul in it. So why would I try to manuver at the registration?? I had no idea it was over 26K loaded with EVERYTHING and that is backed up by the dates on the registration and the weigh dates. You are talking as if I weighed it, concocted a scheme, and then headed to the registers. I did want to know how much it weighed (due to the powerstroke / duramax battle between me and a buddy) (which is what the tread is about)....so, I put it all in there and went to the scales. Unlike 99% of the people who talk all of this garbage all the time about thier trucks and trailers who have no idea what they are talking about. When I saw how much the total rig weighed, I talked to TN codes enforcement and explained the situation. That is when I got the info that it is not bound by the 26K due to the RV status. Do you not think that it is an RV? It is the the same way that you can have a toterhome with a 500 cat 40 ft long with a tag along and not have a CDL. By the way, they are called as expert witnesses in civil trials, so they might know more than you do. Lastly, I never go with all three machines and water. It is only me and my wife so I only need two machines. If I do take 3, I dont fill up the water....not to get around the 26K....just to save weight that I can fill up when I arrive where I am going. So stop counceling me like you are saving the world. You are trying to position this that I am a negligent reckless person endangering old ladies on the highway. Lets just say that you are totally right for the sake of your EGO...I AM NOT OVER 26K! One more thing, what do you do for a living, what kind of truck do you have, what type of trailers do you own, and lastly what type of boat do have. I would like to see what type of actual experience that you have. How me posting a pictured of my rig, has turned into some jackazz talking about a murder trail is beyond me. If I want to make ASSUMPTIONS, I can have you commiting felonies on your way to work everyday also. Contrary to your opinion, you are not judge jury and executioner.....thank god....we would all be in trouble if you were. There would be a much greater danger from you having actual athority over ANYTHING than me driving down the road with my camper.

Last edited by thunderusone; 02-17-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:37 AM

Good luck to you.

Quick Reply: duramax or power stroke?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.