Notices

EXCURSION for towing ??

Old 01-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make up a bracket for trailer so you can use load equalizering bars. Should solve problem with heavy trailer on 1/2 chassis. If trailer has surge brakes you have to play around with angle of chains to make brakes work properly. But remeber to take bars off when moving trailer into tight turns ie backing into 90 degree turns. But nothing beats a dually on long trips
Old 01-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=daredevil;2779222]The leafspring on an Exursion are the same then on a 1/2 ton truck

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Attached Thumbnails EXCURSION for towing ??-toy-box-004.jpg  
Old 01-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Registered

Location: Ocean Pines, Maryland. Wish I was at MANGOS in MIAMI!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by excursion
Well back to the question, Yes it will do it but the real question is safely?? Hope you never have a moment like I did on the way too Florida, I sold mine right when I got back and bought the dually.
Thats alot of boat to pull around with the entire family in it.
Think about it??

Yes you are exactly right. The older I get the less chances I am willing to take...especially with the family.

My most frequent trip would be from Ocean City to Annapolis.

I can make the trip with boat by traveling up coast an then through C & D canal.

Wouldnt take too long to do but it would definetly be less time and fuel to trailer. Something I really have to think about.

I use to use a GMC extended cab 4 X4 Dually to pull my 27 Avanti in mid 90's and it was effortless. But the ride without any thing hooked up was terrible.

Again this will be a secondary vehicle...so may be better to get a extended cab dually and start planning more trips with famliy to warmer destinaions!!

I would really like to start meeting the mebers of OSO and hanging out. There are not many performance boaters or destinations in Ocean City to go to.

The two posts that really got my attention where the above and Damndonzis overall weight of truck, boat and most importantly people in vehicle.

This is why OSO is so valuable, a lot of knowlege and experience on the boards and a lot of good people with good advice.

Thankyou
Old 01-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Most important thing is going to be trailer setup. 4 outboards hanging off the back of ANY boat is going to turn the trailer into a teeter-totter when going over bumps. Again, trailer setup is going to be KEY.
Another very important factor. I wasn't going to bring it up yet..........didnt want to add more to the confusion, but that was another major concern. I have been looking at trailers 4 foot longer than hull length to compensate for this.

So with most of the safety issues covered....what about high end mileage on diesels. What does everyone think of that.

Trying to get most bang for buck without spending a fortune but want something reliable and nice looking. I have been looking at a lot with mileage over 100K mostly due to the price.

I can most likely find something at the auctions for a lot cheaper than what I am seing onE-bay and trader.com (I have a friend that can purchase at auctions)

I dont want to start a brand war but Gm or Ford????
Old 01-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Registered

I have the 01 with a 7.3 with 112k no problems over $30, I have a fair amount of mods too that helped with alot more power and mpg when I keep my foot out of it. If you buy one with a 6.0 I would stay away from 03 1/2-04 1/2 and I wouldnt do any mod's to it. The 6.0 is just not as good of a motor and dosn't like mods unless you do a ton of block and head work first, it's nicer to drive stock than the 7.3. Stay away from 00 and early 01 also they run a diff. trans and it wasn't strong enough. Unless you just swap it out with another one, the better one bolts up and plugs in no problem.

If you want to build a great one find a gas Excursion and get the kit to run the Cummins eng & trans put 410 gears bigger tires and it would pull a house down. A buddy of mine is doing this right now, he got a nice EB Excursion loaded with a v10 for $3500, 03 27k mile Cummins motor and trans and elec. from a salvage yard for $3000 with 90 day warr. the swap kit for $1500, and sold his motor and trans for $1500
Old 01-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Registered

danggg! You most now I like projects!!! Thanks for the info
Old 01-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Registered

This whole GCWR thing that Damdonzi brougt to the table....thanks DD is a lot to consider. I see the Excursion with diesel is rated for 20K thats defintely getting close if not over the limits when you add everything together.

Looks like non dually F350s are also rated at 20,00 1999-2004

EXCURSION GCWR and
5.4L 4x2 13,000
5.4L 4x4 14,500
6.8L 4x2 20,000
6.8L 4x4 20,000
6.0L 4x2 20,000
6.0L 4x4 20,000
7.3L 4x2 20,000
7.3L 4x4 20,000

Last edited by Enforcer2; 01-17-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Registered

i can assure you excursions have 3/4 ton springs. the excursion will pull your boat just fine if, its on the right trailer. trailer brakes and the proper tounge weight are big factors. air bags will definately help with the bit of body roll they get. an adjustable gas charged shock like the procomp adjustable will help as well. i have built many excursions for towing, some with lift kits and some stock height. definately a diesel though
Old 01-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Registered

Thanks I appreciate the input. I am moving boat back to warehouse next week to finsish it. I need to get it on a scale to figure out exactly what it is weighing in at.

It is light thats for sure, all composite coring, vinyelster and 2 strokes. My old Midnight weighed 10,500 with triple optis

This hull is a lot lighter than the old Midnight ..........will be interesting to see.

Thanks again I may be in touch
Old 01-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Registered

My 02 excursion w/V10 gas 4x4 pulls my 28 Nordic Heat with ease. I have Towed a 35 Nordic Flame with twin 525's on one occasion. You could feel the differance. but it pulled it just fine. If you excursion owners remember... There was a recall from ford for the tires. The stock tires 265/70/16's from firestone were an issue if the tire pressure was low and the vehichle was loaded to max. With that being said, just keep your pressure to the recommended psi. I believe the fix for the recall was replacement tire with a E rated sidewall instead of the D rated. The tire was not defective, just under rated for the application. I put aftermarket tires on, so I didn't take them up on the recall. I sold the tires to a friend with an Expedition. There was also a recall for a problem with the cruise control wiring causing a fire. My vehicle just recently had that fixed.

Ray

Quick Reply: EXCURSION for towing ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.