Notices

How big of a truck do I need?

Old 08-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well parking in not an issue, haha I live in Alabama.....
Old 08-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Until you want to go through a bank drive thru, car wash, or downtown parking garage.

I agree that a dually is much more stable towing. I had one before. My 2500HD with an 8.1 tows 10k just fine.
if your tow mirrors fit through the bank a dually will (if you can drive), ive gone through plenty of car washes with no problem again, if your mirrors fit our fenders will...and a parking garage is usually limited to height, not width..atleast the ones ive ever been in.

I drive a semi for a living and for months at a time, so when i jump in my dmax, its like driving a go cart.

mittens, if your ever in the ATX with your boat and im in town, ill let you yank your boat around with my dually for a couple hours through the hillcountry on the way to the lake...you'll want one
Old 08-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Registered

I have a ford f450 and have parked it in the downtown parking garages in Chicago several times. The turning radius is really tight which makes it easy. It is very nice inside but I would get rear airbags if I were driving people around, especially on crappy roads because the rear springs make it quite bumpy in the rear seat. I also drive it to work in the winter a lot and parking in a parking garage with no problem. I haven't gone through a standard carwash because the tracks don't look like they would accomodate duallies. Overall it is a great multipurpose vehicle.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Whatever you decide to do, ditch those huge tires. I wouldn't have anything bigger than 305's on a tow vehicle or an everyday vehicle. If you need a mud toy buy an older truck and jack it up to the sky.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a problem in bank drive throughs, but I haven't found a car wash yet that will take my truck.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Registered

why not run a off road tire its a truck?

Maxxis Mudders....LOVE those tires, last a long time, handel a good load, handel mudd, ride good and are not loud.

look good too.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:05 PM

I Just picked up a '97 302 Baja and I was towing it with my 2005 Escalade and with Electronic trailer brakes it was a beast to stop. Not to mention my MPG were reading at 5mpg (im sure my 22" wheels were not helping).

I have since stepped up to a F250 with the 7.3 and I LOVE IT. I went for the long bed vs the dually because I came across a great deal. I have no problems towing and it feels great both on the gas and on the brake. Id say step it up to the dually if you have the option.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I pulled a 29' Outlaw (within 100# of the 302) with a Chrysler Aspen. More than enough power, but I certainly knew it was back there!

Used to have a 302. I've pulled it with a 2000 Expedition. I couldn't run the A/C while pulling it. Barley stopped it. Sold it and bought a 2001 Dodge 2500 deisel. I handled it easily. I sold the Dodge and got a 2001 Chev 3500 dually 8.1, 6 spd gasser. The dually pulled best of the three but I didn't have to use it as my daily driver.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Registered

F-450/F-550 has a 4" wider front axle to increase the turning radius over a standard 350 or 250. Thats why it turns is a parking lot way better. I see people all the time where i live towing 15,000lbs with a 4x4 f-250 daily. I do have to say the dually is way more stable with the extra two tires. Duallys are a pain to drive everyday due to the extra width of the truck not to mention your buying 6 tires instead of just 4 when you need tires. I would say a 2500 4x4 with a duramax would be great. Thats what i would buy anyway. I think a dually would be a little bit over kill unless used every weekend of the summer to pull the boat long distances. Its a shame that a diesel will almost be required in this case due to the weight. The diesel is going to cost 8000k more than a gas motor right off the lot, not to mention the 100 dollar oil changes, $10 a gallon Diesel Exhaust Fluid, higher fuel price, more expensive fuel filters, Shorter service intervals, and not to mention a 10,000+ dollar repair if you get bad fuel. Its almost cheaper to buy a new gas truck and deal with less power.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

If you want a new truck you only need a 2003 or newer 2500 gas. A diesel would be worth the money and make towing more enjoyable. Personal opinion if you want a 2wd or 4wd. You do not need a dually. You can get one if you want but do not need. I tow a 53ft gooseneck 3-4 car hauler which weighs 20,000+ lbs with a single rear wheel 2wd dodge cummins all over the country. Stock truck with rear firestone air bags. I have over 360,000 trouble free miles. I used to have a 2008 dodge dually and went back to a single wheel. I also pull my boat out of the water with no problem in 2wd. Good luck with your new truck and boat shopping!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.