Notices

6.0 Power stroke help

Old 09-04-2020, 01:15 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Update, drained and refilled coolant, changed tenp sensor and thermostat, haven't towed the boat yet, driving yesterday 85* day for about 30 min I noticed my EOT was creeping up to around 234* does this seem high without a load ? Ive searched normal temp range and have not found anything, coolant temp was 189 190
Oil temps should run about -10F off coolant if I recall. Yours looks like it's time for a cooler. And I suggest you buy a factory Ford replacement. My son purchased a cheaper aftermarket version for his 07, and temps ran hotter than the OEM he replaced. A week later, he was tearing into it again to replace with a for a Motorcraft. Problem solved.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
Oil temps should run about -10F off coolant if I recall. Yours looks like it's time for a cooler. And I suggest you buy a factory Ford replacement. My son purchased a cheaper aftermarket version for his 07, and temps ran hotter than the OEM he replaced. A week later, he was tearing into it again to replace with a for a Motorcraft. Problem solved.
Yep, time for a cooler, the design makes no sense to me, they put it in the hottest part of the engine and run 190* coolant through it to cool the oil.....O well, oil changes, tires is about all Ive had to do in the last 15 years,
Old 09-04-2020, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

This is from the Ford forum:

Do yourself a favor and do a backflush first. Some CLR, Simple green and a couple of fill and drains of tap water to see where your deltas are after it's done could save you vs having to replace the oil cooler...

My deltas a week ago were around 28°. I backflushed through the top of the motor into the oil cooler with the adapter, with the lower hose off the radiator. Ran water into the system for around 10 minutes, I also have a airline hooked up so I can purge it every so often to loosen up the crap in the oil cooler. Shut off water, purge out the water with air, dump about 1 quart of CLR into the oil cooler, let sit for 20 minutes, flushed and repeated the process, flushed again, removed adapter from top of engine, put original "cap" back onto the oil cooler filled up system with a quart of Simplegreen, and filled with tap water with the lower hose on. Ran system up to temp with a 20 minute drive. Drained the system, and flushed tap water through the degas bottle, filled with acid and water and bring back to temp, flush again through degas, filled water into the system 3 times... now see where your deltas are, should be around 8° or less after 1/2 hour drive. If above you have to replace the oil cooler. If below flush with distilled water 4 times(around 14 gallons total for all 4 flushes), then see how temps are again. If all holds true refill with ELC pink coolant that is the concentrate not the 50/50 mix.(get 4 gallons and you will use about 3.5 gallons, then take the extra 1/2 gallon and mix with water for a backup if/when you need it.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
Yep, time for a cooler, the design makes no sense to me, they put it in the hottest part of the engine and run 190* coolant through it to cool the oil.....O well, oil changes, tires is about all Ive had to do in the last 15 years,
This is from the Ford forum:

Do yourself a favor and do a backflush first. Some CLR, Simple green and a couple of fill and drains of tap water to see where your deltas are after it's done could save you vs having to replace the oil cooler...

My deltas a week ago were around 28°. I backflushed through the top of the motor into the oil cooler with the adapter, with the lower hose off the radiator. Ran water into the system for around 10 minutes, I also have a airline hooked up so I can purge it every so often to loosen up the crap in the oil cooler. Shut off water, purge out the water with air, dump about 1 quart of CLR into the oil cooler, let sit for 20 minutes, flushed and repeated the process, flushed again, removed adapter from top of engine, put original "cap" back onto the oil cooler filled up system with a quart of Simplegreen, and filled with tap water with the lower hose on. Ran system up to temp with a 20 minute drive. Drained the system, and flushed tap water through the degas bottle, filled with acid and water and bring back to temp, flush again through degas, filled water into the system 3 times... now see where your deltas are, should be around 8° or less after 1/2 hour drive. If above you have to replace the oil cooler. If below flush with distilled water 4 times(around 14 gallons total for all 4 flushes), then see how temps are again. If all holds true refill with ELC pink coolant that is the concentrate not the 50/50 mix.(get 4 gallons and you will use about 3.5 gallons, then take the extra 1/2 gallon and mix with water for a backup if/when you need it.

All of this is great advice. 234 unloaded is pretty high. Oil coolers aren't bad to replace.......its getting to them that makes the job suck LOL.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Why not add an oil to air (oil cooler) in line instead of digging the OE Unit out of its cave?