Notices

RELIABLE Tow Vehicle Options

Old 07-24-2020, 10:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

HOLY CRAP!!!

My wife has a 2015 Yukon Denali with tow package as well. I can’t begin to imagine towing anything heavier than a few thousand pounds with it. Great vehicle for my soccer mom wife - horrible vehicle to install a hitch on. I’ve towed both my 35’ Cafe Racer and my 42’ Tiger with my LWB diesel F350 and it is the ABSOLUTE smallest truck I’d ever want to tow a 35’ boat with.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:13 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin View Post
Tell me how you really feel!

I have the exact same drive train as the Max Tow on the 1500 which is rated at 11,500lbs, that includes braking system, I have upgraded the brakes with the Baer kit which takes the front rotor to over 15" and high performance pads for towing. So I have more braking capacity than any stock 2500. I'm also running LT series KO2's. I like to run a lot of weight on the tongue for better trailer stability and the Yukon still sits level. I've had a brake line burst on my old boat trailer coming down a steep hill doing 70 and had to stop for a sudden light change, truck had no problems and no brake fade. There are some issues with the factory brake system on the direct injected engines, but I have resolved that as well, no thanks to GM. I have been pulling trailers for over 40 years and I used to build trailers for 12,000lb tractors so this isn't my first rodeo. Just saying.
I am not at all picking on you, Iím offering my opinion as a friend. I care about your safety, your families safety, and others on the road. You mentioned earlier that you pull a 7500 lbs boat. Iím assuming thatís trailer, fuel, and equipment? You should be fine with the current set up. Quick google search I see your tow capacity is 8400lbs, correct me if Iím wrong. Your upgrades well defiantly supplement the 8400lbs, NOT increase it. Your tow capacity will not change unless you buy a different vehicle. If get a bigger boat exceeding 8400 lbs and tow it with the factory rated 8400 lbs vehicle and God forbid kill someone in an accident, a prosecuting attorney would use that against you. Again, Iím offering my opinion as friendly advice and not trying to cause a debate. We have enough drama going on these days, I donít want to add to it.
The following users liked this post:
Quinlan (07-27-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jtbooten View Post
I don’t have a high tech diagnostic scanner and no check engine light... took the FPR off and found this...

injectors direct CP4 kit is $2400. Could not justify +$5k for a CP3 kit for an 8 year 200k mile truck. I’m glade someone agrees with me.
jtbooten,

Finally getting back to my failed truck. Decided to de-grease and what clean engine lats night before I dive into it haha. Looks like it is a fairly involved process just to access that FPR, go figure there. Dump some coolant out and move the AC compressor looks like the way to get at it.

Thinking my plan will be reman CP4.2 disaster kit, add lift pump, add CP4 Exergy FPR that has dual 20 micron screens (single 80 micron stock) to contain shavings if/when pump fails in future. ~$2500 in parts im thinking. Now just need to find a decent labor quote as I'll spend a month of weekends the way my schedule goes trying to do it myself.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel View Post
jtbooten,

Finally getting back to my failed truck. Decided to de-grease and what clean engine lats night before I dive into it haha. Looks like it is a fairly involved process just to access that FPR, go figure there. Dump some coolant out and move the AC compressor looks like the way to get at it.

Thinking my plan will be reman CP4.2 disaster kit, add lift pump, add CP4 Exergy FPR that has dual 20 micron screens (single 80 micron stock) to contain shavings if/when pump fails in future. ~$2500 in parts im thinking. Now just need to find a decent labor quote as I'll spend a month of weekends the way my schedule goes trying to do it myself.
If you do it yourself, PM me and Iíll give you my number. I can give you some good advice. I have not found any good threads about flushing the system. Most people have someone else do it I guess. It is NOT easy by no mean. Friday will make my 5th day working on it (6-10 hour days) if all goes well, it will be put back together and hopefully start. I may be able to give you some time saving advice.

I saw the FPR you are talking about and I like the sounds of it. I couldnít find any real life experiences after a CP4 failure though.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you do it yourself, PM me and Iíll give you my number. I can give you some good advice. I have not found any good threads about flushing the system. Most people have someone else do it I guess. It is NOT easy by no mean. Friday will make my 5th day working on it (6-10 hour days) if all goes well, it will be put back together and hopefully start. I may be able to give you some time saving advice.

I saw the FPR you are talking about and I like the sounds of it. I couldnít find any real life experiences after a CP4 failure though.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm a pretty decent wrench, but it would take me two months to finish it with that type of time commitment anymore. I'll likely just bend over and take it somewhere and hope to have it back in a couple weeks and maybe be able to launch the boat with it 1-2 times before fall haha.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel View Post
Thanks! Yeah, I'm a pretty decent wrench, but it would take me two months to finish it with that type of time commitment anymore. I'll likely just bend over and take it somewhere and hope to have it back in a couple weeks and maybe be able to launch the boat with it 1-2 times before fall haha.
I have basically done it by myself. It could probably be done in 2 weekends. I worked 2 days hard in the heat and should have not even looked at it the third day. Four days spaced out and planning ahead probably could do it. Itís hard for me to pay for something I can do but this job may have been worth it lol.

The following users liked this post:
Gimme Fuel (07-29-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 12:04 AM
Registered

I have basically done it by myself. It could probably be done in 2 weekends. I worked 2 days hard in the heat and should have not even looked at it the third day. Four days spaced out and planning ahead probably could do it. Itís hard for me to pay for something I can do but this job may have been worth it lol.
Iíll correct myself. I figured today would be a short day but I was wrong! Worked on it 16 hours but it is running!
Anyone need advice on changing a CP4, let me know.
The following 2 users liked this post by jtbooten:
Gimme Fuel (08-03-2020), Plum_Crazy (08-01-2020)