Notices

RELIABLE Tow Vehicle Options

Old 07-22-2020, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RELIABLE Tow Vehicle Options

Currently have a 12 LML Duramax. Past year Iíve had 2 EXPENSIVE break downs That left me stranded with my boat. After I fix my CP4 disaster, Iím going to sell. I have a 32í fountain. Iíve towed with a 6.0 Silverado and was not a fan. Iíd prefer to stick with a diesel. Iím not going to fix a $3k problems with a new $60k truck. Iím going to pay cash for a dedicated tow vehicle. It will be parked in the garage when not boating. In saying that, Iím looking for something very reliable. Not interested in all the bells and whistles.
Started browsing 7.3 powerstokes and the 06-07 LBZ Duramax. Anything to watch out for with those trucks? What other trucks would you suggest? Thanks guys.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be kind of biased but I love my 6.7 ford. It has 230 on it now and hasn't given me any issues.

To be completely honest, any truck with a cp4 system is prone to the same failure as your duramax but i wouldn't let that shy you away. As long as you keep the filters changed and the fuel quality up....they last a long time. Obviously, they all have issues but I can tell you that 7.3's are old and tend to nickel and dime a lot of people now. Finding one with low miles may actually be worse in my opinion. I've done headgaskets on every single duramax platform except for the L5P. Not to say they are bad trucks, they aren't, they run forever. Ram's are good trucks but the 6.7's still have head gaskets issues, turbo failures, and the actual truck itself leaves something to be desired for quality in my opinion. 11-14 6.7 Fords tend to eat the turbos and some even have the same cp4 failure as your duramax.

Again, unless you are dead set on getting a new truck, I would honestly keep the one you have now duramax and just add some 2 stroke oil to the fuel on every tank. Sounds weird, but it will help lubricate the cp4 since they are fuel lubricated pumps. Otherwise, a 6.7 ford gets my vote.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

A 6.0 with the 6sp trans and 4.10 or 4.33 gears is plenty to tow a 32 fountain. ANY diesel is expensive to fix.
The following users liked this post:
c0ncEpT (07-28-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If you own a LML Duramax, you NEED to convert to a CP3 pump before you hit 100K miles especially if you never ran a lift pump. Then, you will be worry free. There is one available that can be installed without tuning. If you already have tuning, the bonus is that the CP3 flows 20% more volume than the CP4 and the HP gain is noticable. I run the Exergy Sportsman in my '11 Duramax.

No tuning required...
https://lincolndieselspecialties.com...certified.html
Old 07-22-2020, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

You should also look at the 2015 and newer GM 1500's with the max tow package. They have the direct injected 6.2 with the 8 speed tranny. The tranny is rated for over 700ftlbs so it should hold up well and the 6.2 puts out 470ftlbs stock. I have a 2015 Yukon Denali with the same drive train and it pulls my 7500lb boat and trailer like nothing. I did a few mods on mine and I can take a lot of cars from the light towing. I have 150k on mine and other than the dealer recalls It's still running great, I plan on putting 500k on it. I am looking to upgrade my current boat to a 39 and I will tow it with the Yukon. Even the new gas motors from GM and Ford don't have the torque of my 6.2 after the upgrades. On top of that the Yukon has the same brakes as the max tow package truck. Just saying you have options.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 205 Likes on 114 Posts

2017 Ford redesigned the Super duty, thats what Im looking for, seems the nice clean ones are still in the high 40k to low 50k.....
ICDEDPPL (07-23-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 04:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 97advantage View Post

I've done headgaskets on every single duramax platform except for the L5P.

Sounds weird, but it will help lubricate the cp4 since they are fuel lubricated pumps.

Hope this helps a little.
Always heard LBZ was the duramax to have. Was it ran hot to need a head gasket?
I had an LLY and it would overheat (found out about their heating issues after I bought it).

Iím going to be patient and not give my truck away so Iíll probably be driving it for a while. I plan to run an additive but there are SO many options. What made you choose 2stoke oil? What kind and how much? Iíve also heard ATF fluid?

Iím not so much bothered by the cost of fixing it. Iím annoyed about breaking down again while pulling my boat to the lake. What ever I buy I know Iím going to have to work on eventually.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin View Post
You should also look at the 2015 and newer GM 1500's with the max tow package.
I donít doubt the 6.2 1500 has the power to pull. Itís the stopping and handling it that concerns me. I pulled my boat home with my dadís 2018 1500 and I did not like the way it felt at all. A slight swerve, the boat would take the truck with it. I wonít pull my 32 with anything less than a 2500.
blownhammer2000 (07-27-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 05:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Plum_Crazy View Post
If you own a LML Duramax, you NEED to convert to a CP3 pump before you hit 100K miles especially if you never ran a lift pump. Then, you will be worry free. There is one available that can be installed without tuning. If you already have tuning, the bonus is that the CP3 flows 20% more volume than the CP4 and the HP gain is noticable. I run the Exergy Sportsman in my '11 Duramax.

No tuning required...
https://lincolndieselspecialties.com...certified.html
I have a Fass and changed the filters regularly.
Truck has a near stock tune on it because itís deleted. Iím not looking for HP.
I went with the CP4.2 because I can buy 2 CP4 disaster kits vs. 1 CP3 conversion disaster kit.
Kit I bought has a 2 year warranty. Got 190k miles out of my CP4 so if I get half that, the truck would be pushing 300k miles. Couldnít justify double the cost when looking at the numbers.
Plan to sell anyways.
Gimme Fuel (07-23-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jtbooten View Post
Iím not looking for HP.
Iím sorry, you lost me there.
The following 2 users liked this post by Plum_Crazy:
Baja Rooster (07-24-2020), jtbooten (07-23-2020)

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser