Notices

RELIABLE Tow Vehicle Options

Old 08-17-2020, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tractionless View Post
I have the LEAST reliable tow vehicle in a 6.4l Powerstroke. I've found in ANY diesel application you MUST use a lubricity additive at very minimum as the current diesel fuels are excessively dry thus causing the fuel system failures you're seeing in this thread. I use both Arch-Oil and Opti-Lube at every 3/4 tank fill up, never run below 1/2 tank and steer clear of bio-diesels per my owners manual. The ford-trucks forum I use also says to change the Ford or Racor brand only fuel filters every 10k miles or 2 years as well as drain the condensation bowel monthly.
My company trucks have always been Fords, after 2-6.0 and 1-6.4 that crapped out right between 100-120k miles, bone stock and hardly towed/hauled anything, I gave up and asked for a 6.2L gasser. I will say it is gutless and rides even worse without the extra weight, but I haven't had a single issue with it and hit 90k miles. Usually all of the strokers needed something done by 60-70k miles. Used to have diesels only because working in petroleum industry/refineries spark ignitions were prohibited.

I hear the new GM 6.6L gasser is a good engine, I know their 6.2 rocks in the half tons. I haven't driven one yet though, If I bought a new truck, I'd heavily consider the 6.6 gas. However, a new gasser still costs twice as much as my used duramax haha and I just cant justify that kind of payment to drive it 5k miles a year.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Iíve decided to keep my truck. Iíve put a lot of work into it and it is paid for. Should be good for a while.

Gimme Fuel, hows the project going?
Old 09-14-2020, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jtbooten View Post
Iíve decided to keep my truck. Iíve put a lot of work into it and it is paid for. Should be good for a while.

Gimme Fuel, hows the project going?
Trixie is back in action, and for a week ran stronger than it ever has since I've owned it. Pretty sure I had couple dirty/leaky injectors as it would always smoke a bit for first 10-20 seconds at startup and never got that stellar of MPG. Was getting consistent 2 mpg better after I picked her up and much better throttle response with more seat of pants power than before. Poor kid mechanic thrashed on her for a solid week to get it done before the holiday weekend. It was a heck of a job by the time he rigged the Air Dog system and everything. He called me up evening I was supposed to pick it up saying it was knocking and pinging, and high fuel pressure codes. I did some googling and luckily found that the FPR and CP4 wire harnesses are identical plugs and length and will cause that when switched. He switched them around and ran like a Swiss watch.

Now a week later the VG turbo is acting up and vanes are sticking periodically making it act like an ole 12 valve.......ugh! He didn't take the turbo off to do the work either so not his fault. I wonder if it didn't like the 2-stroke oil I put in tank as fuel lubricant or put too much in and gummed the vanes up. Lack of use also more than likely culprit. Haven't really dug into that one yet.

Old 09-14-2020, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel View Post
Trixie is back in action, and for a week ran stronger than it ever has since I've owned it. Pretty sure I had couple dirty/leaky injectors as it would always smoke a bit for first 10-20 seconds at startup and never got that stellar of MPG. Was getting consistent 2 mpg better after I picked her up and much better throttle response with more seat of pants power than before. Poor kid mechanic thrashed on her for a solid week to get it done before the holiday weekend. It was a heck of a job by the time he rigged the Air Dog system and everything. He called me up evening I was supposed to pick it up saying it was knocking and pinging, and high fuel pressure codes. I did some googling and luckily found that the FPR and CP4 wire harnesses are identical plugs and length and will cause that when switched. He switched them around and ran like a Swiss watch.

Now a week later the VG turbo is acting up and vanes are sticking periodically making it act like an ole 12 valve.......ugh! He didn't take the turbo off to do the work either so not his fault. I wonder if it didn't like the 2-stroke oil I put in tank as fuel lubricant or put too much in and gummed the vanes up. Lack of use also more than likely culprit. Haven't really dug into that one yet.
Glade to hear you got it running (minus the turbo)!
Canít give any suggestions on the turbo. Oily exhaust tip will suggest too much 2stroke but I doubt that caused it?
Old 09-16-2020, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

I totally agree with you on how expensive these new trucks are to work on after my 6.7 needed turbo and head work after a glow plug fell out I decided to go back to my roots and built a truck from the ground up to tow my 38 gun one that I picked the newest platform that was pre egr and dpf. Ended up with 2005 dodge 3500
Old 09-16-2020, 08:24 PM
Registered

Replaced every part

New every thing

Sandblasted and power coated frame

Bdc trans
Old 09-16-2020, 08:30 PM
Registered

Starting to take shape

Air bags and traction bars

Body came from Palm Springs Cali no rust

Slt interior heated seats every option I could get in 2005 lol

Working hard
The following users liked this post:
IGetWet (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 363 Likes on 185 Posts

Id like to see you back that up...........
The following users liked this post:
hoodoo (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 09:46 AM
Registered

Lol yes that was a bit of a Dicey one 😂