Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Active Thunder
Active Thunder or Sonic >

Active Thunder or Sonic

Notices

Active Thunder or Sonic

Old 11-15-2001, 03:28 PM
CrazyED

He's not telling a great deal of things!

The roll over was in the Pompano Beach newspaper!
The incident in Baltimore happened first and they were only cruising around 40 mph.

They run straight - just don't turn!

AT also has gel problems and fit/finish!

I wouldn't trust my family in those boats!

Old 11-15-2001, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
As I have stated in the past, please attack us face to face not hiding behind an alias screenname. That is the problem with the internet.

Ed, You know nothing about our step-bottom boat. You've never riden in one.

When asked by anybody including existing or prospective customers I openly admit that the 37 AVH requires more intelligent driving skills and I demonstrate the techniques needed to corner the boat at any speed to all of my customers. Drives need to be at least parellel to the running surface. A step bottom boat has an angle of attack to deal with. The optimum angle of attack is about 1 degree. So you have 2 running surfaces working in harmony. Add in an adjustable third running surface. Then comes the average guy with no education (me included in the beginning) and having always tucked the drives in going around a corner, tucks the drives in.... If you tuck the drives in, pull back the throttles and turn the wheel bad things are going to happen. Trust me. We learned the hard way just like everybody else has. Remember, the step is relatively new to most of us despite how long it has really been around. Do we feel it's dangerous? No. Not as long as the driver has been shown how to operate the boat correctly and understands the theories related to it. You want to go around a bouy at 70? No problem. I will show you. But the drives will be parellel or even up a little and you will throttle through the corner like you would in your rear wheel drive BMW or Corvette. I build both the 37 V-bottom and the step. You have a choice. We are not stuck building step bottom boats so if I felt it was a bad thing, I would stop. In life I try to do the correct things.

But the 37s cornering abilities has nothing to do with this, does it?

Putting your family in one? You never thought twice about it when you bought your second Active Thunder. You knew the boat would be built safe and I would stand behind it. And it was, and I did.

If you have a problem with me or my boat, feel free to air it out here or on the phone but use your real name and tell the entire story. Don't just throw a bag of Motherf*@*ers at me from behind a curtain and walk away.

We took your boat back and sold it for you to help you out and made nothing off our time or efforts. It's not our obligation to buy back boats because you discover the engine package is a turd or you don't care for the paint. I tried to get you to put the HP500 in the thing but you saved money instead. That was the critical thing at the time.

But, ending on a positive note, the guy that bought it loves it. Runs with the big dogs even if he's only going 65. It makes me smile to know that he is enjoying something we built. That's why I enjoy doing it.

I apologize for your distaste. We try to make it as enjoyable as possible but we have learned, as hard as we try, you just can't make everybody happy.
Old 11-15-2001, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, PAT, thanks for clearing that up. Sounds like it is a disgruntled old customer that obviously has a beef about something. Ed, John, or whatever your REAL name is, I can tell you that I am a sucessful individual who cares very much about my own personal safety as well as the safety of my own family and I can tell you that I did take into consideration the additional seat timke required to propely learn how a step bottom handles. It is like anything else in a boat or car, you need to get comfortable with something before you push it. I am aware of the incident you mention in your post, but again I would say that it is possible to create a dangerous situation in any boat, stepped as well as a v.

Ed, I live in Medford and I would be more than happy to take you out for a ride in my 37avh, when it is done to show you how safe it really is. If you are in Cherry Hill, I live in Medford as well as grew up in Cherry Hill maybe we can get together and have a few drinks and talk about boating. Where do you do your boating, what type of a boat do you have, do you belong to the NJPPC? If so I may have met you at one of the gatherings, maybe the D&B gathering last April.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I respect that. But I wish that people would stand up, give their real name or at least an e-mail address. I have to wonder what someones true motivations are when the post something so slanted within thier first few posts. Anyway feel free to e-mail me I would love to grab a few and just shoot the breeze.

And as a previouis thunder owner I can attest to the fit and finish as well as gelcoat on the thunders and they are up there with the best.

Pat stands behind his boats, show me someone else in the industry the offers a lifetime warentee on the hull.
c-ya

Dan Lawler

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: thunderdan ]
Old 11-15-2001, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Thunder Dan ,I wouldnt waste any more time with that 5 post piece of ****, he is an alias, how you doing B.B. remember me, you patted yourself on the back so many times last conversation we had you turned me right off of Sonic, I could read right through your bull****,(grew up in Newark) Get a life *******
Old 11-15-2001, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me also shed some light on this subject. I have owned several offshore race boats and just won the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS in my 30' Skater ( BODYGUARD )..
I own a 37' Active Thunder with the step hull and HP500 EFIs as my pleasure boat... I love my boat , and even with the experiance of racing at speeds up to 140 MPH , I took the time to get to know the boat before I got too aggressive with it in turns. People have to take the time to learn how a boat handles , because each one is different ... You need to take it slow at first , until you get use to it.
I have owned mine since July and I am very happy with it , you do have to pay a little more attention in the turns though. Like you would any step bottom boat or any cat. There is a trade off for that extra speed. Use common sense and you won't get in any trouble.
I live in Virginia , if anyone is serious about buying a 37 and has concerns, I would be glad to demo my boat and let you see how well they handle....
Mark House ( BODYGUARD )
email : [email protected]
Old 11-15-2001, 11:17 PM
Registered

Cool

After reading all of this I could not descide which graemlin fit best. this is exactly why I asked the question (I knew OSO would provide good information as well as entertainment ) and we are traveling to the factories and going for a ride. Jay is taking us out in the Sonic and Steve will be taking us out in the AT. We're leaving the kids with grandma so we can let it all hang out. I will probably give you guy's a call after I get back. I will be more educated on what questions to ask after the trip.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:42 PM
Registered

Hey Active Thunder,
What made you guys start making boats? Did you work for another manufacturer before starting Active Thunder? I think you guys are doing a great job and have heard lots of praise from your owners. Keep up the great work and I hope I can afford one of those bad boys some day
Hey, on a side note, your 37avh has a DDC hull? How is that different from Challenger Offshore's hull? They claim theirs is a DDC hull as well. How are they different if at all or is it the same technology in a larger boat? (Challenger's DDC boats are 26 and 28 feet)
Thanks in advance for the information
Todd
Old 11-16-2001, 01:10 AM
Registered

People just never stop amazing me. Hey Mark congrats on your victory. Shoot me an e-mail about how you rigged your boat, speed etc if you don't mind.

H20 warrior-have a great time next week, and remember how lucky you are to be test driving 2 great boats-enjoy and please post your findings...

[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: thunderdan ]
Old 11-16-2001, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey thunderdan & Jassman your graphics on your boat are awsome looking. Can't wait till Feb to see them.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:48 AM
Registered

baja27,

Thanks for the complements. You are hitting it in Feb at a great time, my boat hould be almost ready by then.

Quick Reply: Active Thunder or Sonic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.