Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding. >

IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.

Notices
Formula

IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 88242LS
sounds like that was a hack of a poker run, also sounds like i would have stayed at the dock and drank, even if I had a 50fter
Well, yes....yes it was.
Attached Thumbnails IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.-f39d6925.jpg  
Old 01-05-2015, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kevlar382
I have owned my boat since it was new. It was hand built at the factory, not a production line boat. I have had the rub rail off it before and there is no where that it isn't bonded. This is why I questioned this thread in the first place. I now know there are a few that seem to have a problem. I would have noticed if there was anywhere that was missing the Plexus, or any broken through bolts. In 14 years I would have also noticed water leaking through the seem if it was coming apart. When the rub rail was put back on it was also through bolted ( the white part ). Every now and then I have tightened the screws about a 1/4 of a turn that hold the SS part of the rub rail on. This has nothing to do with the bond between the deck and the hull. I am very disappointed that some people are having a problem with this being a big Formula fan. This is my 4th new Formula and even through this one has a Kevlar hull, I never had a problem with the fiberglass ones either, which were production line boats.
Hogie Roll, thank you for pointing out that you think I'm stupid but I really think I will be ok.
I 100% agree that there is a huge difference in a kevlar, hand build 382 vs a line boat. I also agree that the stainless insert can and will become loose over time, since this is not a static joint, and as you point out has nothing to do with the hull / deck joint. The screws under the stainless DO penetrate the hull deck joint and should remain tight (as I suspect yours have). We are all huge Formula fans, and this doesn't sway me one bit. It's a bummer that I have to deal with it, but the reality is it's not that big a deal. I've been on board other "offshore" boats on Lake Erie that have literally fallen apart on one moderately rough trip from PIB to Sandusky. We watched a fiberglass swim platform sink to the bottom after one semi hard hit

I think we are all on the same page here, hard to show tone and emotion over the interwebz.

As Jriggs pointed out, I'm slightly disappointed that the advertised every 18" thru bolting is more like every 18' thru bolting, but so be it
Old 01-05-2015, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody ever heard of a Formula blowing the deck off and people being hurt ? Back in the F2 days the bond was done the same way as on all Fastechs and they seemed to have held up pretty well. I have to admit I have had to tighten my rub rail sometimes, so I through bolted it were I could ( which has nothing to do with the bond between the hull and deck ) and did the same with the windshield. We boat in some pretty ruff water here on Lake Michigan and there isn't a boat made that doesn't have things break and/or come loose, including Cigs, OL, Skaters, Nor-Techs, and every other boat made. Most definitely not trying to start a war here and do appreciate your concern for other people's safety, just think if a Formula was going to blow apart mine would have done it a long time ago. It was built in 2000, I bought it new and to this day it doesn't have so much as a stress crack in it.
Has anybody ever heard of the grid coming loose from the hull ? I believe that was the main reason for switching to Pluxus. That is just glued in with no through bolts and I have never heard of one coming apart. Just wondering.
I looked at and had surveyed a 1999 Poker run edition (kevlar) that had a grid failure that the surveyor pointed out to me. About a third of the way aft on the port side. This boat was beaten up pretty badly though and had probably been hit as it had a hull/deck failure in the same area as the grid failure. This one shouldn't be used as an example of anything other than to say if you hit something hard enough it will break. Shame as it had clean looking Mercury Bulldog 540's and the topsides didn't look bad.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fossil fuel
I personally have walked up to 3 382's on launch ramps. One at Havasu and two in Florida and talked to the owners personally. After carefully remarking about the issues asked if I could check their boat. 2 out of 3 were loose. I think most owners look at the issue as a rub rail screws loose-minor. They do not realize the seam may be breaking the screws. I will be very surprised if now that this is public that when the rest of the country thaws out we will hear from more owners.

BTW formulas comments about operator error is really BS. 4 of the five owners are SCOPE board members and past presidents of the club. I am the least qualified with 35 years of OCEAN powerboat exp. Although it did not take long to learn NOT to run at speed with one tab at 2 and the other at
8 !!

I was VERY VERY VERY disappointed that a leader in the industry would stoop that low to pass the buck.

One of the boats was leaking when running into weather. This is how the owner found the issue. The water was entering the cabin through the seam......How many 382 owners have mysterious water leaks??????
I just found this thread and find it curious about water leaks. I have a 2004 370ss bought new. My cabin was getting wet in the under seat storage compartments in cabin when boat was in its first season. Trenton marine resealed the rub rail, not sure what product but think silicone, and havent noticed the problem in 9 years. I will be checking my Bond in the spring!!
Old 01-05-2015, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

C'mon guys. Someday we will meet up at a event. This grinding on each other serves no purpose. I get a little grumpy when this thread is taken as formula bashing. It never has been and never will be. I completely understand Formulas silence here. Can you imagine any manufacturer in today's Litigation obsessed world taking this issue on publicly. The Factory support for me has been really helpful. If it were a fountain there would be nobody to call. Not pointing especially to fountain but many others have fallen on the sword. This issue IS NOT A BIG DEAL! Its a way easier fix than say a leaky transom or rotten stringers. Good grief, Lighten up

Thanks
Old 01-05-2015, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Kevlar382
I just don't understand why said you dislike this thread? It's informative and about a serious safety issue that occurs on lots of boats. How could you wish this information wouldn't be proliferated? The best reason I can come up with is because you're a huge Formula fan? I'm just trying to make sense of you postings.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must be special, because when I call Fountain they pick up the phone.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Kevlar382
I just don't understand why said you dislike this thread? It's informative and about a serious safety issue that occurs on lots of boats. How could you wish this information wouldn't be proliferated? The best reason I can come up with is because you're a huge Formula fan? I'm just trying to make sense of you postings.
My boat isn't doing it. None of mine have, so I didn't realize there were many that did. What do you want me to do, tell you it is even through it isn't just to make you happy. You implied that I'm not vary smart because I don't take my boat apart so I explained to you why I know it isn't coming apart, I don't know what else to tell you. I'm not saying none are having a problem just because mine isn't.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

My boat isn't doing it. None of mine have, so I didn't realize there were many that did. What do you want me to do, tell you it is even through it isn't just to make you happy. You implied that I'm not vary smart because I don't take my boat apart so I explained to you why I know it isn't coming apart, I don't know what else to tell you. I'm not saying none are having a problem just because mine isn't.
KV382 I wish was a lucky as you, but like Artie stated this is a fairly easy repair and not expensive at all ($100 to $200 in materials). I have owned (2) Formulas through the years and have been very happy with them overall. I think that on my particular boat, the thru hull connections are too far apart. They are not every 18" as they should be, but are more like 36" to 72" apart in spots, and that is why the plexus joint failed.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Like I said in a one of the post before, I also through bolted the white part of the rub rail where I could. I was able to get just about all the way around the boat except a few spots by the head. My boat has so many through bolts Im surprised in floats ( If I remember right those were about 4 or 6 in. apart ) . I also through bolted the windshield where I could get at it. There were a few by the dash I couldn't get at. Looking back I wish we would have bolted that on before the deck went on the boat, although if I ever would have to get the windshield off I would have been screwed. Another thing we did was instead of just filling the grid with foam we filled all the empty spaces in between the grid before the liner went on and then also filled the gaps between the liner and the hull. ( The area behind the lounge seats to the front ). My 1998 was kind of hollow sounding compared to my SR1s, this really helped with that. I taped about a 1/4 in above and below the seam and put silicone all the way around it, then bolted the rub rail on. Again, I know there were no spots that didn't have Plexus.
We started out with a F2 Kevlar hull and then put a full cockpit and cabin in it. It has a normal dash and companion door. We put double latches on all the cabinets and made the brackets for them as long as they could be instead of the way they come. I do from time to time snug up the bolts that go into the floor that hold the cabinets. None of this was done because of trouble with the 1998, just thought I would try to build the best 382 I could. It has boxes, 380s, and a one off paint job.
Im sorry that I ever commented on this thread, but having two really nice 311s and two really nice 382s, I never would have thought so many people would have been having this problem. Ok, that's my story, good luck to you guys and be safe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.