Silent Thunder Removal 89’ 242 LS

Notices
Formula

Silent Thunder Removal 89’ 242 LS

Old 03-24-2022, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 69 Posts

Finally some progress again!

After checking prices on flat aluminum tube and finding out how high it is, we decided to cut the deck of the platform out of a piece of aluminum. It took a bit to get the design, but we decided and really liked this one......she just came out of the laser tonight.

Next we will bend 2” aluminum round tube for the perimeter and then weld her all up. Hopefully we will get to starting that this weekend, then test fit with supports, finish weld and we will paint the same blue as the boat.

The following 4 users liked this post by Noles1:
CharlieWhiskey85 (03-24-2022), masi242 (03-24-2022), rak rua (03-24-2022), TomZ (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 56 Posts

Planning on doing sea deck or Anything? Or are you leaving as aluminum? Might be a good template as is to have the gator step or sea deck put on.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Noles1
Finally some progress again!

After checking prices on flat aluminum tube and finding out how high it is, we decided to cut the deck of the platform out of a piece of aluminum. It took a bit to get the design, but we decided and really liked this one......she just came out of the laser tonight.

Next we will bend 2” aluminum round tube for the perimeter and then weld her all up. Hopefully we will get to starting that this weekend, then test fit with supports, finish weld and we will paint the same blue as the boat.

You may have a market for this platform. Just saying.

Really nice work!

The following users liked this post:
Noles1 (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 09:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CharlieWhiskey85
Planning on doing sea deck or Anything? Or are you leaving as aluminum? Might be a good template as is to have the gator step or sea deck put on.
Our plan was to paint the navy blue like the boat.....with non skid on the deck. I’m open to suggestions or pics or ideas if you have them, but I pictured the blue in my mind when it was first determined to go with an aluminum platform.
rak rua (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 09:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TomZ
You may have a market for this platform. Just saying.

Really nice work!
TomZ, I know you have your silent thunder removed. Did you have the platform made for yours? I wondering what degree exactly we should have the brackets off the transom. We cut the brackets out, but we have room to trim them. When we measured the first time I went off how the flat part of the silent Thunder platform sat with the boat......from a pic of her on the trailer. Real precise!
Old 03-24-2022, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

AlumMetalFab made mine.

My 311 might be a little different but I can get the angle of the platform compared to the transom. Shouldn’t take Much to get at all. I do know that it kicks up a little so that the platform is more level at the water compared to the boat’s attitude in the water.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Also, I would consider powder coating versus paint. The finish will last a lot longer.
Old 03-24-2022, 11:03 PM
Registered

AlumMetalFab made mine.

My 311 might be a little different but I can get the angle of the platform compared to the transom. Shouldn’t take Much to get at all. I do know that it kicks up a little so that the platform is more level at the water compared to the boat’s attitude in the water.
If you wouldn’t mind, that would be great. Although my boat isn’t as heavy in the stern as yours, I did notice in some pics of my boat in water that the platform looked pretty level.....not in line with the rub rail or boat as you mentioned.
Old 03-24-2022, 11:07 PM
Registered

Also, I would consider powder coating versus paint. The finish will last a lot longer.
I was worried more of the powder coat wanting to chip or flake off.....and I figured paint would be easier to touch up if needed. I’m assuming yours is powder coat and you don’t have any problems with it? I‘m still debating what to do with that.....I appreciate the input and advice!
Old 03-25-2022, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Noles1
I was worried more of the powder coat wanting to chip or flake off.....and I figured paint would be easier to touch up if needed. I’m assuming yours is powder coat and you don’t have any problems with it? I‘m still debating what to do with that.....I appreciate the input and advice!
I did scratch the coating on a crappy piling but I touched it up with paint and it’s been okay. It was scratched in a place you can’t see so no big deal. The coating has been durable.

Measurement…

On the trailer the transom angle is 16 degrees and the rub rail is at 6 degrees. The platform side tubing is 4 degrees indicating a 2 degree kick-up. Hope this helps.

Last edited by TomZ; 03-25-2022 at 11:55 PM.
Noles1 (03-25-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.