Silent Thunder Removal 89’ 242 LS >

Silent Thunder Removal 89’ 242 LS

Notices

Silent Thunder Removal 89’ 242 LS

Old 03-25-2022, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 154 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ View Post
I did scratch the coating on a crappy piling but I touched it up with paint and it’s been okay. It was scratched in a place you can’t see so no big deal. The coating has been durable.

Measurement…

On the trailer the transom angle is 16 degrees and the rub rail is at 6 degrees. The platform side tubing is 4 green indicating a 2 degree kick-up. Hope this helps.
Yes, that does help, thanks for the prompt response Tom!
The following users liked this post:
TomZ (03-25-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 08:14 PM
Registered

Here is a better pic of the “deck” of the platform. Also is a pic of the tubing being bent to go around the perimeter.

I kinda like the natural aluminum color.

Not sure how I would “non skid” and would I have to seal with something to preserve the natural color from tarnishing? I think that’s the correct term for it. I’m still thinking blue, but thought I would get your thoughts for those of you following.
The following 2 users liked this post by Noles1:
rak rua (03-26-2022), TomZ (03-27-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 10:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 762 Likes on 331 Posts

I agree the standard alloy finish looks nice but yeah, I think it would lose that finish quickly.
I vote powder coating and match it to the current colors. You’ve got white, blue and black to chose from. Could you do the platform blue and the tubing black? Otherwise, I’d go all blue.

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 03-26-2022 at 10:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rak rua:
Noles1 (03-27-2022), TomZ (03-27-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 06:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rak rua View Post
I agree the standard alloy finish looks nice but yeah, I think it would lose that finish quickly.
I vote powder coating and match it to the current colors. You’ve got white, blue and black to chose from. Could you do the platform blue and the tubing black? Otherwise, I’d go all blue.

RR
I have heard of a product called alumetron (guys use on pontoons to coat their aluminum toons, but not sure if that lasts or would be the right product for this instance. I think you’re RR, I’ll probably keep blue, not sure on the two tone......didn’t think of that....interesting.
Old 03-27-2022, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 118 Likes on 56 Posts

If I were to do it (and acknowledge it would be tedious as hell) I would paint or powder coat how you mentioned it but then I'd add the sea deck/gator step over it with all the holes and logos still cutout.

Maybe a color pattern like this:

Old 03-27-2022, 10:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CharlieWhiskey85 View Post
If I were to do it (and acknowledge it would be tedious as hell) I would paint or powder coat how you mentioned it but then I'd add the sea deck/gator step over it with all the holes and logos still cutout.

Maybe a color pattern like this:

Thanks for the response CW, I guess I don’t know enough about the sea deck or gator, I will do a little research…..I’m sure that isn’t cheap to have done……but what is with a boat?
CharlieWhiskey85 (03-27-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Reading this thread with great interest as we recently purchased a 1987 242 LS with the Silent Thunder. Have not had it in the water yet (Cayuga Lake NY) but wonder what our transom looks like under that thing...
The following 2 users liked this post by Stickboy:
CharlieWhiskey85 (03-27-2022), Noles1 (03-27-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 118 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Stickboy View Post
Reading this thread with great interest as we recently purchased a 1987 242 LS with the Silent Thunder. Have not had it in the water yet (Cayuga Lake NY) but wonder what our transom looks like under that thing...
That's awesome! We are getting quite a group of 242 owners going on the forum now for sure! Welcome to OSO and the formula crowd. Can't wait to see some pictures of it. I think you just need 10 posts and you can start putting up pictures.
The following 2 users liked this post by CharlieWhiskey85:
GLENAMY 242SS (03-28-2022), Noles1 (03-27-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 07:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stickboy View Post
Welcome to the Formula and OSO family! Formula makes a great boat and the 242 handles extremely well for its size.

Most likely your transom will look similar from others I have seen besides mine.....unless it was pulled off every few years, seals checked and platform checked for rot. I didn’t mind the look of ST platform, but too much of a liability for me to keep.....so time to update with the aluminum platform.

I know TomZ already upgraded his as well, he may chime in at some point.

Either way, there is a lot of knowledge and help here for whatever your boating needs may be.
Old 04-03-2022, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add me to the list of new 242 owners! Ive been coming to OSO for the last couple of years cause the wealth of knowledge here, Ive just never bothered to register.

Ill also be following your progress Noles as pulling the ST platform is something in my near future as Im pretty certain mine is rotted (not sure of the extent). Ive been mulling over adding an aluminum swim platform for awhile now, but cant justify the cost....plus I really like how the ST platform flows with the lines of the boat, so ive thought about just rebuilding it.
Noles1 (04-03-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.