Like Tree0Likes

USCG Documentation vs. State registration

Old 04-12-2005, 08:16 AM
Registered

My Boats: Fountain 34CC, Boston Whaler 15 Sport
Default Re: USCG Documentation vs. State registration

Yes, NJ requires a title in addition to CG Documentation. Most states only require a registration with CG Documentation, but NJ requires a title as well.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:17 AM
Registered

"Larger recreational vessels, owned by U.S. citizens, may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard. (Click here to read more about obtaining the U.S. Coast Guard’s “Certificate of Documentation”.) Documented vessels must also obtain a Florida registration and display the validation decal when operating on Florida waters for more than 90 days."

So basically, as long as you run out to 3 miles from the coast line once every 90 days (or take the boat to another state) you can have it registered under USCG in FL.

As someone mentioned, it's all about the money and revenue.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:42 AM
Registered

My Boats: 330SS Formula 496's

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns29scarab
i was having my 29 scarab reg'd and doc'd last year..in Jersey you MUST have a reg according to the state marine police wether its doc'd or not...i wasnt sur eeither so i went to the state police barrack in point and was told doc'd or not must be reg'd...oh and never got my scarab doc'd because it didnt have enuff tonage
This is the answer I was looking for Bern, not want I wanted to hear, but nonetheless. I was (am still) going to check with Statey Police too before I do the dirty deed.

Still a lot of confusion and both sides giving absolutes for each side I like the access to Fed waters resoning though, DiabloFemina ...
Old 04-12-2005, 08:43 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loan Ranger
Yes, NJ requires a title in addition to CG Documentation. Most states only require a registration with CG Documentation, but NJ requires a title as well.
LR ... if you don't mind ... referring us to where you are getting your info from. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2005, 08:46 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloFemina
As someone mentioned, it's all about the money and revenue.
Isn't it ALWAYS???

I still will never understand how the state gov. gets to collect sales taxes every time a boat / car/ etc etc is sold .... boggles the mind
Old 04-12-2005, 08:49 AM
Registered

Angry Re: USCG Documentation vs. State registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
The Coast Guard recognizes USCG documentation. That's good when you're in the ocean. If you're on inland waterways, you're likely dealing with a county sheriff's water patrol or the state's division of watercraft's officers. 90% of these people have no idea what USCG documentation is and the 10% that do, don't care.

If you're stopped in Ohio and don't have an Ohio registration sticker or one from another state, you're going to get hassled. The state wants the $$, not only from the registration but from the sales (or use) tax. I know from experience- I got hassled and stood my ground- next time out, I had my Apache 41 seized and impounded. I paid the sales tax and a big fine and the sea-tow and storage charges. The ODNR went out of their way to show me they meant business.

Maybe I could have fought it and maybe I could have won on the documentation issue. I could have also been criminally charged for avoiding the sales tax.
Thanks Chris, Just another example of a real story of this 'fleecing' in action and reason for caution when trying to 'beat the system'.

Death and taxes ... like they always say ... Death and taxes
Old 04-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My Boats: 2003 33' Donzi ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle Therapy
I know that Virginia law is you can not register your boat with the state of Virginia if it is registered with the USCG, here is the Virginia web site that states that if anyone is interested...http://www.boat-ed.com/va/handbook/register.htm. Seem odd that each state is different, but it appears they are.
You are not required to register it, but if they find out that you have it you will pay personal propoerty taxes on it. My next door neighbor is the Commissioner of the Revenue for my county, and I think he busted me. But he only assessed it for $15K, so I keep my mouth shut.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Registered

My Boats: Fountain 34CC, Boston Whaler 15 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by njgr8ful
LR ... if you don't mind ... referring us to where you are getting your info from. Thanks!
National Numbering & Titling Manual, First Edition
Old 04-12-2005, 11:00 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Azimut

Every time I have gotten stopped with my documented vessel and NO state numbers on it. All I have shown is the documentation cert from the USCG and I have never had a problem.

Boat purchase contract address was NH, boat is mainly used in Lake Champlain bordering VT, NY and Canada Lake Champlain is a declared an International body of water. The boat does not stay in any state or body of water for more than 90 days. (A lot of states including Vermont where my personal address is, require boats that stay more than 90 days to be registered in that state with the taxes involved in registration)

My hailing port is Marco Island , FL.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:47 AM
S.O.B (single O/B) now
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njgr8ful
Isn't it ALWAYS???

I still will never understand how the state gov. gets to collect sales taxes every time a boat / car/ etc etc is sold .... boggles the mind
NJ doesn't have personal property taxes (i think)
In VA we have to pay a tax (personal property tax) to the state each year just because we bought the boat 3 years ago!!!! A 50K boat has a tax of $1,500.00/ year!!! This doesn't included state registrations, etc.

Unless you can get creative