USCG Documentation vs. State registration

Notices

USCG Documentation vs. State registration

Old 04-12-2005, 10:31 PM
(aka) Pure Adrenaline
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: USCG Documentation vs. State registration

Boats documented by the U.S. Coast Guard must also be registered by the State and display the excise decal.
Submit the proper application to any state Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) License Branch.

I must still be missing something. Sorry. The above part I understand to say if you document it in Indiana that applies but I don't read it to say, If you live in Indiana YOU MUST Document it With a Indiana hailing port and pay the tax. That is why I went to Ohio.

I was pulled over by a DNR on a small reservoir close to my house. After the St Joe deal I checked into it and got my Ohio sticker but didn't put it on. The DNR asked for my paper work and asked where my sticker was. I gave him ever thing including my Indiana drivers license, showed him the sticker and told him I forgot to put it on. He wrote me a warning ticket for the sticker not being on and said the paper work was in order. Later when I pulled out I put it on and haven't had any problems since.

Am I not reading something right dukenrock ?
Old 04-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Boats documented by the U.S. Coast Guard must also be registered by the State and display the excise decal.

I must still be missing something. Sorry. The above part I understand to say if you document it in Indiana that applies but I don't read it to say, If you live in Indiana YOU MUST Document it With a Indiana hailing port and pay the tax. That is why I went to Ohio.
But you still registered with a state. What did you gain by going to Ohio instead of IN? Just asking
Old 04-13-2005, 12:12 AM
(aka) Pure Adrenaline
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I'll have to make a call but I believe I am in the max range for Indiana excise tax and it would be $500.00 a year.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug, Not that I ever doubted you but I have to agree with you 100%, finally. I was puilled over today in New Buffalo MI and he explained first hand to me that it needed a little registration sticker from any state. He waived the $400.00 ticket because I showed him the documentation for USCG. I will be at the BMV on Monday.
Originally Posted by Doug
Submit the proper application to any state Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) License Branch.

I was pulled over by a DNR on a small reservoir close to my house. After the St Joe deal I checked into it and got my Ohio sticker but didn't put it on. The DNR asked for my paper work and asked where my sticker was. I gave him ever thing including my Indiana drivers license, showed him the sticker and told him I forgot to put it on. He wrote me a warning ticket for the sticker not being on and said the paper work was in order. Later when I pulled out I put it on and haven't had any problems since.

Am I not reading something right dukenrock ?

Last edited by dukenrock; 06-10-2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:11 AM
Registered

Re: USCG Documentation vs. State registration

I've have since registered mine with the state as well paid the sales tax and become completely unstoppable LOL Just to avoid the whole mess ....

Now I've got stupid little reg stickers on the P/S bow and USCG Doc numbers in the bildge ... NO numbers on the bow, though!!
Old 06-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Registered

Did they hit you up for the sales taxes when you registered? Also, they said the stickers could be put on the side of the windows.
Originally Posted by njgr8ful
I've have since registered mine with the state as well paid the sales tax and become completely unstoppable LOL Just to avoid the whole mess ....

Now I've got stupid little reg stickers on the P/S bow and USCG Doc numbers in the bildge ... NO numbers on the bow, though!!
Old 06-11-2005, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't confuse REGISTRATION and USAGE/TAX sticker. Registration indicates that you display REG numbers: I.E.
in New Jersey-NJ 1234 AB, in Maryland-MD 1234 AB.Any state is gonna' want their excise tax, except Delaware, which has none. The paperwork for payment of taxes is usually the same as registration, without the assignment of reg #'s. In Maryland there is a $15.00/yr. charge for Usage/Tax sticker. When you pay your excise tax in whatever state, you'll typically get a sticker or somesuch, that indicates compliance with tax laws. I believe you'll find that CG Documentation's only advantage, is that you won't have to display ** 1234 AB numbers on the bow of your boat. You'll still have to display the boat name and hailing port on the hull, as a requirement of Documentation.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

my buddy got harrassed last weekend in the Barnegat Bay by a Statey, showed him his Doc papers, and got a ticket for an unregistered vessel. Went to DMV Monday AM and got it registered 1,2,3...
Old 06-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Ohio, you can have GC documentation but still have to register the boat. Need to display the state registration sticker on the windsheild, but not OH numbers. Name and hailing port must be on the transom. Even though I am GC documented and state registered, the State of Ohio Department of Taxation caught up to me two years later and insisted on the sales tax and interest. You cannot avoid it in Ohio. They WILL find you!
Old 06-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Registered

Lightbulb Re: USCG Documentation vs. State registration

Originally Posted by dukenrock
Did they hit you up for the sales taxes when you registered? Also, they said the stickers could be put on the side of the windows.
Yup duke ... they hit me up big time

...... and I ain't got no stinkin' windows! LOL

Did you pick up that ON/OFF stuff from West Marine?? Stuff works wonders.

Quick Reply: USCG Documentation vs. State registration

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.