Like Tree0Likes

USCG Documentation vs. State registration

Old 04-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Registered

My Boats: 330SS Formula 496's
Default Re: USCG Documentation vs. State registration

Thanks GL, I was thinking of making my hailing port Jupiter, FL (I have a house address there) to kinda sorta show I'm not 'hailing' out of NJ, but realistically the boat will be parked, in my backyard (not even on a trialer) for 90+ days, 120+ days , maybe even 6 monhts (hoping for a long season this year LOL )!! So if the Stateys roll down the lagoon, which they do, and they want to bust balls, which they will, I may be looking for unwanted attention

I'm going to check and see with my local State Marine Police ... maybe even get something in writing from them if the answer I hear is worth writing down And take it from there.

Short answer here is, as I figured it would be, no one really knows ... or there are too many variables, too many different stories, situations, as well as authorites and jurisdictions, to even begin to make sense of it all. Probably a case by case, area dictates, basis for YES or NO ... bunch of red tape, political BS!
Old 04-12-2005, 12:34 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by t500hps
NJ doesn't have personal property taxes (i think)
In VA we have to pay a tax (personal property tax) to the state each year just because we bought the boat 3 years ago!!!! A 50K boat has a tax of $1,500.00/ year!!! This doesn't included state registrations, etc.

Unless you can get creative
Nah we don't have that personal prop BS tax up here, thanks for something but we certainly make up for it in cost of living, car insurance, car registration costs, prop taxes, etc etc to easily cover that $1500 a year Maybe I could use your DE addy??? Just kidding ... I'm gonna prolly bite the bullet here and pay the $%#!%%$ taxes ...
Old 04-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member
Trade Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by njgr8ful
Isn't it ALWAYS???

I still will never understand how the state gov. gets to collect sales taxes every time a boat / car/ etc etc is sold .... boggles the mind
Ain't that the chits! Sell it enough times, the gov't will collect more in sales taxes than the original purchase price.

In Indiana,still has to be registered with State even if documented with CG, just don't have to pay IN sales tax. I was just as baffled when I bought my boat 3 yrs ago, so I just went the regular route and paid the $6k sales tax. I figure I'm a bit less prone to be stopped with the state #'s on the side. My buddy did the CG thing last summer.--->$140 to the state for registration, $0 sales tax.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Registered

I'm on my second CG registered boat in Indiana, and from what I've read and been told, you don't need both. The CG Reg is all you need. As far as the sales tax goes, it is still due. It may take a while for them to catch up with the billing, but you are still obligated to pay the sales taxes. Please correct me if I'm wrong! I'd like to hang on to the sales tax money
Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Ain't that the chits! Sell it enough times, the gov't will collect more in sales taxes than the original purchase price.

In Indiana,still has to be registered with State even if documented with CG, just don't have to pay IN sales tax. I was just as baffled when I bought my boat 3 yrs ago, so I just went the regular route and paid the $6k sales tax. I figure I'm a bit less prone to be stopped with the state #'s on the side. My buddy did the CG thing last summer.--->$140 to the state for registration, $0 sales tax.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

I checked with my buddy who just did this last summer before I posted my response. Still have to register with state (gets the little square sticker, not the numbers) even though he documented with CG, which there a "PORT OF" is required. No sales tax paid.

Just going on what he just told me. He went thru the proper channels .
Old 04-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Registered

Part of the CG registration is the numbers in the engine compartment and the "Port Of" which includes the name of the vessel as well as the hailing port. The hailing ports can be anywhere, not neccessarily on a body of water. This year I was able to use Ft. Wayne, IN as my hailing port. Registration by the state is not required. I am by no means an expert on this, just expressing my interprtation of CG registration. I went through a company out of California and paid them a $450.00 fee to do it for me. (Each boat)
Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I checked with my buddy who just did this last summer before I posted my response. Still have to register with state (gets the little square sticker, not the numbers) even though he documented with CG, which there a "PORT OF" is required. No sales tax paid.

Just going on what he just told me. He went thru the proper channels .
Old 04-12-2005, 06:34 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Azimut

Quote:
Originally Posted by njgr8ful
Thanks GL, I was thinking of making my hailing port Jupiter, FL (I have a house address there) to kinda sorta show I'm not 'hailing' out of NJ, but realistically the boat will be parked, in my backyard (not even on a trialer) for 90+ days, 120+ days...
Ok here is my take on your situation and how i would deal with it. Now this is theoretical and you should check with your lawyer and blahh, blahh, blahh...

Here is my take:
-Where ever you are in NJ take a ride up the Hudson and fuel up at a NY Marina once in June and once in August, if your south go to Delaware or something like that. That will cover you from April to November for the 90 day deals. KEEP THE RECEIPTS.

-Using a Florida hailing port is and excellent idea because everyone including most officers on the water will think that your boat is registered in Florida thus not subject to whatever state registration your in. It will make them assume that you spend most of your boating time there, again deflecting from the 90 day deal. My hailing port in Marco Island FL as I mentioned and the closest property I have to Marco is in Burlington.... Vermont. The CG registration mentions very clearly that you can use any city and state irrelevant to your locations, official residency, property or whatever... I actually considered putting Anchorage Alaska just to mess people up even more.

My take on this is on the water officers will not delve into the subtleties of specific tax and registration intricacies, they are worried about you not being drunk or too loud and a danger to other boaters, if registrations issue come up, your confirmation of not spending 90 days in a row with the receipts will work for you if it gets that deep. It will only get that deep if you flaunt them or get in a serious media grabbing accident while p!ss drunk. Of course if you live on $1Mill a year and pay taxes on $30k more than the water police will scrutinize your setup.

Just my humble opinion.

Now for something more entertaining...
Attached Thumbnails
USCG Documentation vs. State registration-beach_view-365.jpg  
Old 04-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Registered

I stand corrected I found this I the internet. I will follow up on this.

It's the Law: Before Going Out on Your Boat or PWC
All operators are required to obey laws that regulate your boat’s registration, titling and operation.

Registering Your Boat or PWC
IC 9-31-3
You must have an Indiana certificate of registration and a validation decal to legally operate a watercraft on public waters in Indiana unless:
The watercraft is non-motorized (watercraft using an electric trolling motor require registration)
It is registered in another state and has operated on Indiana waters for not more than 60 consecutive days
Boats documented by the U.S. Coast Guard must also be registered by the State and display the excise decal.
Submit the proper application to any state Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) License Branch. You will receive a certificate of registration and two validation decals.
The certificate of registration indicates the number that must be displayed on the bow of the watercraft.
You must keep the certificate on board and available for inspection by an enforcement officer whenever the boat or PWC is being operated.
Larger recreational boats, owned by U.S. citizens, may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard. Call the USCG’s Documentation Center at 1-800-799-8362 for more information. USCG documented boats must also have a certificate of registration but are exempt from displaying the “IN” numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchornet
In NJ, you still must be registered, even with USCG Docs. But you only need the registration sticker, you don't have to put numbers on it. You also need (I bellieve) a hailing port on the Transom. This is the info I got from a friend who has his big Sea Ray documented.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:41 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Uh, isn't that what I was saying?

Now, about that out of state company that charged you $450 per boat and still not have the correct info? I gave you the correct info for no charge.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Registered

GL, I like the Anchorage idea ... that would blow some minds

The other suggestions are good too, I may just try it and see what kind of hassles I get this summer. I'm still going to pay a visit to the Stateys around the block and report back.

Thanks for the bonus entertainment too