Ilmor Acquires Scorpion Racing Engines >

Ilmor Acquires Scorpion Racing Engines

Notices

Ilmor Acquires Scorpion Racing Engines

Old 03-06-2014, 06:17 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Boatlesss
never take on partners is the moral of this story i guess.
Yep!
Old 03-06-2014, 06:49 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

never take on partners is the moral of this story i guess.
Yup!

The money guys always win.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:44 AM
F26
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flight club
To everyone, Frank is Scorpian. Ilmor went through the back door and bought the company from the majority owner ,Phil, and promised him a job. Frank had NO say. That would be like someone buying Sterling and not keeping Mike. Would it still be Sterling? I think not. I think that ship is going down and all the race teams are going to jump ship. Goodluck Ilmor
Hey FlightClub !!

I understand that you purchased the new Skater that was to be raced by Brad Smith and Jeff Asbell…. will you be trying these new motors??

I want the precise details….inquiring minds want to know

Bodre Rising
Old 03-06-2014, 08:35 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by korvetkeith
http://youtu.be/AKIFjQIgmOA

Here's a 2khp viper from like 6 years ago. Why don't they do a little R&D to build some forced induction V10s for the unlimited class? I know its not a boat but 1000hp vipers have been done quite a few times.
This subject has already been covered extensively in several other threads. Bottom line: the deck of the Viper block simply isn't up to the continuous stress of a forced-induction marine applications. Debate away, but Ilmor has already tried it and made their decision. Apparently, others must have as well, because I have yet to see one in a boat.

If "Frank" was forced out, I feel for him and hope that he lands on his feet in a good new position. Given his reputation, it sounds as if he will. As for Ilmor's capabilities, since Ilmor has built dozens of engines from scratch over the last 30 years, I expect that there will be sufficient in-house technical expertise to master the art of building big-blocks. This merger will also allow Ilmor to enter the high-horsepower pleasure boat market. Lord knows, there have been plenty of howls for competition for Mercury Racing over the years. Hopefully, everyone will win in the end.

And - YES, RP does often see potential where others don't....
Old 03-06-2014, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Goes to show if your not an equal percentage partner in a business you might not be any more protected than an employee.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by F26
Hey FlightClub !!

I understand that you purchased the new Skater that was to be raced by Brad Smith and Jeff Asbell…. will you be trying these new motors??

I want the precise details….inquiring minds want to know

Bodre Rising
merc 1350's
Old 03-06-2014, 11:35 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hustler40
Goes to show if your not an equal percentage partner in a business you might not be any more protected than an employee.
True, but still get paid according to share. Lets hope it was lucrative and no (non-compete)
Old 03-06-2014, 12:22 PM
sre
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flight club
To everyone, Frank is Scorpian. Ilmor went through the back door and bought the company from the majority owner ,Phil, and promised him a job. Frank had NO say. That would be like someone buying Sterling and not keeping Mike. Would it still be Sterling? I think not. I think that ship is going down and all the race teams are going to jump ship. Goodluck Ilmor
Ron, I have been speaking to him daily. Let me know if you will be at the club Sat. I want to drag him out of the house.

Paul
Old 03-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
This subject has already been covered extensively in several other threads. Bottom line: the deck of the Viper block simply isn't up to the continuous stress of a forced-induction marine applications. Debate away, but Ilmor has already tried it and made their decision. Apparently, others must have as well, because I have yet to see one in a boat.

If "Frank" was forced out, I feel for him and hope that he lands on his feet in a good new position. Given his reputation, it sounds as if he will. As for Ilmor's capabilities, since Ilmor has built dozens of engines from scratch over the last 30 years, I expect that there will be sufficient in-house technical expertise to master the art of building big-blocks. This merger will also allow Ilmor to enter the high-horsepower pleasure boat market. Lord knows, there have been plenty of howls for competition for Mercury Racing over the years. Hopefully, everyone will win in the end.

And - YES, RP does often see potential where others don't....

Not to get this off topic, but why doesn't ilmor or just use the dodge v10 truck block then. It's the same engine but with a cast iron block. Problem solved
Old 03-06-2014, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Not to get this off topic, but why doesn't ilmor or just use the dodge v10 truck block then. It's the same engine but with a cast iron block. Problem solved
Or use the LSX platform they have developed, add boost and make some big numbers. A supercharged LSX motor would work in many superboat classes wouldn't it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.