Old 07-31-2015, 05:52 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Yeh, buy them a new Volvo too. Jeesh.
Don't let them drive boats.
Don't let them drive motorcycles.
Don't let them drive snowmobiles.
Ah, the Volvo thing, screw it. Don't let them drive cars period.

Racing ? Hah !

Don't let them Mountain Hike or Bike.
Don't let them Travel or go out for the night.

Don't let them join the Armed Forces.

Don't let them be a Pilot.

Nothing with thrills or excitement, cause that comes from possible danger.

+++++++++++++++

Non sarcastically,

We can educate them all we want, which we should try to do.

14-18 or more....many boys feel invinceable. Many find out they aren't.

Last thing we want to do is keep them home with their bedroom door locked for good. That's no way to live.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by TW720HVY

Their parents/grandparents will have the weight of doubt/choices/actions around their necks for the rest of their lives.
Thats what really makes me emotional about all this.... There wasnt a car crash, or a fall or a story of any sort. Nobody will ever know.

Zero closure will haunt these parents forever. Nobody should ever have to go thru this especially for a 14 year old.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:42 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The search will continue.

http://www.gofundme.com/perryandaustin
Old 07-31-2015, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A very sad day for all involved, but assigning blame to the the grand parents??? Were you there?
Phuk, kids are going to be kids.! If my parents knew half the things I did I'd have never made it out of my teenage years.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:25 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Flightplan
The search will continue.

http://www.gofundme.com/perryandaustin
Messages with donations very touching / emotional.

Thank you for the link !

Yetti Coolers put up $25,000 !
Old 08-01-2015, 12:10 AM
Registered

Received 597 Likes on 242 Posts

I have been around kids like this. all full of them selves and young and scared of nothing.

I was in the Commercial Para sail business for 20 years off and on, I had tough little Runts like this that worked for me. they were tough and had great ideals but their over all seamanship was sadly lacking.

Fact of the matter is if you are a Mile offshore and in the water and the wind is strong and blowing you offshore you are PHUCKED.

Most of the time when a Offshore wind is blowing it is strong and prominent, and the surface current is moving with the wind at a very strong 1 to 2 mph. These means if you breakdown or are in the water the surface current is driving you away from the shore 2 miles an hour.

If you are so Blessed to land in 80 degree and above water you may last 24 to 48 hours if you are in the Great Lakes you are Dead in 4 - 6 hours Tops.

Epirbs are 300 bucks LifeRafts and Satellite Phones much more but when you ARE ALONE bobbing in the drink what would you like to rely on to communicate with the people on shore to find you?

I would love to be wrong but the truth of the matter is they went to the stern after the motor quit and because the boat was drifting stern 1st to the waves it quickly swamped and than rolled over. The boys were in sight of land when it occurred and made a swim for it with out life jackets because

1 They are tough little chits

and

2 You can not make any headway swimming in a life jacket.

Sadly I feel they drowned before the 1st night by abandoning the boat and making a run for it .

I was brought up this way since I started sailing on my dads 48 foot sailboat sailing all throughout the Great Lakes at the age of 5 and always had this hammered in my head by everyone.

The Number ONE RULE is STAY WITH THE BOAT

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS

STAY with the BOAT

Last edited by tommymonza; 08-01-2015 at 12:35 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:33 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

It seems we've had quite a few drownings here in the north this summer too. Several teens drowning at beaches because they can't swim well. An overturned boat and two lost. Another young man fell off a boat and disappeared on the Detroit River. Every case is sad and tragic and hindsight is still always 20/20. We can probably all learn something from this though. Especially those who boat on salt water. At least on the Great Lakes we can drink the water. The price of a basic epirb or plb needs to come down. If the Coast guard made them available cheap it could save a lot of money on these epic searches and, more importantly, could save a lot of lives.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
. The price of a basic epirb or plb needs to come down. If the Coast guard made them available cheap it could save a lot of money on these epic searches and, more importantly, could save a lot of lives.
You must be kidding! 300 bucks seems cheap as hell to me to save my life or the life of the ones I love. The kids (at 14) had 110 bucks for fuel that day. Most of us spend more than 300 a weekend easy boating.

The shame to me is that they didn't have the proper equip,met and knowledge to be out that day.....the cost was absolutely insignificant.

If people, no matter the boat, can't afford 300 bucks then they are lying to themselves. We all have money for what is a priority and need to have.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Messages with donations very touching / emotional.

Thank you for the link !

Yetti Coolers put up $25,000 !

Yeti got a lot of exposure and I'm sure would have used these kids in an ad or something if they were found.

Crazy part is one kid's family is rich! Great grandfather was one of the biggest homebuilders in the state, sold the company to Pulte for 400 million or something. H just flipped a parcel of land earlier this year for 41 million dollar profit and he owned it about 20 months.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza

Epirbs are 300 bucks LifeRafts and Satellite Phones much more but when you ARE ALONE bobbing in the drink what would you like to rely on to communicate with the people on shore to find you?

I would love to be wrong but the truth of the matter is they went to the stern after the motor quit and because the boat was drifting stern 1st to the waves it quickly swamped and than rolled over. The boys were in sight of land when it occurred and made a swim for it with out life jackets because

1 They are tough little chits

and

2 You can not make any headway swimming in a life jacket.

Sadly I feel they drowned before the 1st night by abandoning the boat and making a run for it .

I was brought up this way since I started sailing on my dads 48 foot sailboat sailing all throughout the Great Lakes at the age of 5 and always had this hammered in my head by everyone.

The Number ONE RULE is STAY WITH THE BOAT
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS
STAY with the BOAT
Good post and I suspect you are on the right track with the let's swim for it since we can see land idea.....but we can't wear jackets since they are tough to swim in and we don't need the cooler to hang onto since we will be on land in an hour or less......

Some EPIRB's start sending out the signal if they get wet/submerged so if that was the case the coast guard might have gotten an early jump on the search. Some PLB's are small like a cell phone so they can be clipped to a life jacket. One I saw even had a strobe light! PLB's need to be activated manually so obviously you have to be near it to use it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.