Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat shopping has become frustrating.... >

Boat shopping has become frustrating....

Notices

Boat shopping has become frustrating....

Old 03-15-2017, 06:41 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 790 Likes on 257 Posts

Lots of good opinions here but in my case I paid ALL the money for my Skater. It was in amazing condition, a ONE OF ONE custom and nothing close was on the market.

Quality examples don't hit the open market sometimes. If you really want to know who wants or needs to sell post a thread asking what is available and have people message you. Lots of people don't like their business public and will only offer their toys by word of mouth or in private. Lots of quality sales have happened here in just this way.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I noticed was a boat that was a fair price with a busted paint job. ( busted = ugly ). Just because TAOD paints it doesn't mean its a cool design. I think some were owner inspired paint jobs that only appealed to the owner. Lots of ugly boats sitting for sale.

Originally Posted by formula1
I have been looking for a new boat since the end of last summer. It seems that almost all the boats I have been looking at are still for sale and nothing new has shown up. Prices are all over the place, mostly over priced which is why most of the boats I have been looking at have been for sale for six months plus. Why bother putting your boat for sale if you don't really want to sell it? The brokers are just as bad. Why take a listing if you don't price it to sell?
And, Mr/ Broker, it might help if you called a prospective buyer back once in a while. Jeeese..... Sorry, had to vent.... FWIW, I have been looking at a 30-33 foor Formula (303, 312.336).
Old 03-15-2017, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I was looking for the right boat for over a year found a few that where ok and then when I found it I jumped on it. Called till I got ahold of the guy. Didn't low ball the guy but made him an offer. He came back with his (bottom line number ) and I gave him that. It was the right one so what was fair to him I was good with. It wasn't his asking but he was still happy. It don't hurt to make an offer just not an in salt
Old 03-15-2017, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was casually watching prices for a few years before I got my current one. When it hit the market at the listed price, I figured it either had something wrong or owner was motivated to sell. They were motivated. It was priced right for the condition that it was in. Had deal inked within a couple of days of looking at the boat. The right boat for the right price will be out there. Just be patient and vigilant.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 469 Posts

Forget nadaguides and any other pricing book.
If you're buying, find the right boat and offer what YOU think is a fair price then negotiate from there. Same applies to selling, advertise for what YOU think is fair and let the buyers make their offers.

Boats that sit too long get a stigma attached and people start thinking there's something wrong so if you're selling, try to avoid having your boat sit too long. If you're buying, don't be put off, it may still be a great boat.

Can I rant now please?
Bought my Fountain 4 years ago with 200 hours for 110k. After shipping/importing, a few nice little upgrades, it owed me a LOT more.
Sold it in January for 76k with 290 hours and excellent condition. I wanted the boat gone because I get bored and wanted to change. This was the only genuine offer I'd had so I took it. Book value is around 100-110k. Your first offer is your best offer so treat it seriously.

Buying is difficult and selling just sux so get over it!

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 03-15-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 812 Likes on 345 Posts

I don't think the ridiculous prices for new boats are helping lower used boat prices either. Which isn't necessarily the worst thing except when some guys are selling their turds and think they're in great condition and think they can get the same prices as the rare "clean" used boat.

My theory is to be patient when wanting to make a big purchase and never try too hard to spend a bunch of money.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to clear your inbox formula1,

but there is a 312 on swap shop that you should be calling on today.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 412 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by formula1
I have been looking for a new boat since the end of last summer. It seems that almost all the boats I have been looking at are still for sale and nothing new has shown up. Prices are all over the place, mostly over priced which is why most of the boats I have been looking at have been for sale for six months plus. Why bother putting your boat for sale if you don't really want to sell it? The brokers are just as bad. Why take a listing if you don't price it to sell?
And, Mr/ Broker, it might help if you called a prospective buyer back once in a while. Jeeese..... Sorry, had to vent.... FWIW, I have been looking at a 30-33 foor Formula (303, 312.336).
There are lots of very nice Freshwater Formulas at Lake of the Ozarks. Call Brett at Performance Boat Brokerage or Eddie at Big Thunder Marine. Both of them may have "pocket listings" or working trade in deals with what you are looking for. There are qualifies surveyors in the area that can handle a detailed inspection. Good luck!!!
Old 03-16-2017, 09:45 AM
Registered

Hey OP, here ya go. Requires going to the dark side a bit but look how well that turned out for Darth Vader

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...ty-o67809.html

Problem solved...
Old 03-16-2017, 09:52 AM
Registered

Truly clean boats that are maintained properly do not last long on the market at all. I've always felt like with boats you either find super clean boats or ones that are half destroyed... there's no in between

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.