Notices

Hurricane Ian

Old 10-07-2022, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 1,332 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by AmiableDave

As for Ft. Myers Beach. Governor Desantis said that most likely the Island would have to be bulldozed and rebuilt. THAT would be a chore. Dredging to add lost land. The island would have to be resurveyed/re-engineered. New building codes put in place. NIGHTMARE..
From what I have seen that is true, will take some big money developers to go in.

Around here now the St Johns is flooding, Sanford, and up. Seen some video of Daytona beach, they took a good hit and are not sure about Biketoberfest. This storm was huge.
The following users liked this post:
AmiableDave (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 517 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Around here now the St Johns is flooding, Sanford, and up. Seen some video of Daytona beach, they took a good hit and are not sure about Biketoberfest. This storm was huge.
I like going to Hontoon Island State Park on the St. John's. I see that it is closed. As well as ALL Seminole County boat ramps on the St John's because of the River height. Haven"t checked other counties, but I'm sure they are the same.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:25 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by AmiableDave
So the gal in the chopper is not a boater. I saw the video when it was first posted and think she did a good job in describing/showing the devastation. A minute into the video she says the roof is off at a Marina. (Actually it's the roofs off the High and Dry at the marina) And she says that boats are scattered everywhere. And then towards the end (hard for her to get the words out) she says that the shrimp boats are piled up on top of one another. That they can ride out a storm at sea, but not in port... Or Something like that.

As for Ft. Myers Beach. Governor Desantis said that most likely the Island would have to be bulldozed and rebuilt. THAT would be a chore. Dredging to add lost land. The island would have to be resurveyed/re-engineered. New building codes put in place. NIGHTMARE..
Was just talking about this yesterday. They did it in Brielle, NJ and Pt Pleasant, NJ after Hurricane Sandy. The wash out is almost identical. When you have high $7M-$20M houses on the water you can pretty much guarantee its going back up. Doesnt matter if a 1/4 mile of coastline washed out. Its going back... They dont need to create new codes, the codes are already here. Anything on the water from the Keys to Jupiter with new construction have a 1st floor that will blow out but leave the integrity of the structure intact. Its the old codes and stuff built in the 70s or before that doesnt have a chance.

My buddy lives in Port Charlotte, took a direct hit in a 15 year old house. Mostly currrent codes. and he lost a few roof tiles, couple soffits blew out. But thats all designed to happen that way. He went thru Andrew in 92 and he told me in indrew the wind surged up to 180MPH. He said IAN hit the wind went up to 150 and stayed there for 4 hours. Found his Invincible nose down in the canal in the morning. Not because the lift broke. but it twisted all the pylons. Crazy, downright evil!
Smarty (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,237 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta;[url=tel:4847597
4847597[/url]]Was just talking about this yesterday. They did it in Brielle, NJ and Pt Pleasant, NJ after Hurricane Sandy. The wash out is almost identical. When you have high $7M-$20M houses on the water you can pretty much guarantee its going back up. Doesnt matter if a 1/4 mile of coastline washed out. Its going back... They dont need to create new codes, the codes are already here. Anything on the water from the Keys to Jupiter with new construction have a 1st floor that will blow out but leave the integrity of the structure intact. Its the old codes and stuff built in the 70s or before that doesnt have a chance.

My buddy lives in Port Charlotte, took a direct hit in a 15 year old house. Mostly currrent codes. and he lost a few roof tiles, couple soffits blew out. But thats all designed to happen that way. He went thru Andrew in 92 and he told me in indrew the wind surged up to 180MPH. He said IAN hit the wind went up to 150 and stayed there for 4 hours. Found his Invincible nose down in the canal in the morning. Not because the lift broke. but it twisted all the pylons. Crazy, downright evil!
Wow. Just. Wow.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 517 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
They dont need to create new codes, the codes are already here. Its the old codes and stuff built in the 70s or before that doesnt have a chance.
When hurricane Andrews came through in 1992 and destroyed homestead. Florida made new building codes. The fact of the matter is most of Fort Myers Beach was built before 92. So the new buildings will have to be brought up to code. That's all I was trying to say.
The following 3 users liked this post by AmiableDave:
hoodoo (10-07-2022), offshoredrillin (10-07-2022), Pete B (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

Based on NBC2 out of Ft Meyers which has been releasing vids on youtube of the damage. I believe she is a news anchor on this local network narrating the footage of the coastline s they fly over in a helicopter. She is saying the dis-coloration in the water is pollution !!! Massive amounts of it, "sewage" among her commentery. She failed to note the runoff from inland flooding and/or sediment (etc). Pissed me off frankly as we see these variations after heavy rains in states above the panhandle in the ICW and gulf. I felt it was irresponsable reporting unless she knew something we didn't. I assume there is some pollution, foolish with all the boats/cars littered around but does anyone know if this is the case ???
Old 10-07-2022, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 897 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by tlark
Based on NBC2 out of Ft Meyers which has been releasing vids on youtube of the damage. I believe she is a news anchor on this local network narrating the footage of the coastline s they fly over in a helicopter. She is saying the dis-coloration in the water is pollution !!! Massive amounts of it, "sewage" among her commentery. She failed to note the runoff from inland flooding and/or sediment (etc). Pissed me off frankly as we see these variations after heavy rains in states above the panhandle in the ICW and gulf. I felt it was irresponsable reporting unless she knew something we didn't. I assume there is some pollution, foolish with all the boats/cars littered around but does anyone know if this is the case ???

East coast is releasing freshwater now, the bright blue ocean water is brown around the inlets. The tannins in the water make it look like iced tea so when it mixes with blue water it does look bad from the sky.
Smarty (10-07-2022)
Old 10-08-2022, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 619 Likes on 249 Posts

I made it out to Arcadia yesterday to check on my flatbed conestoga.

Unbelievably it not only tipped over to the south, so the north winds got it as the hurricane swept through, but it is completely unscathed .

Just need to find someone who can right it without tearing it up.

hogie roll (10-08-2022)
Old 10-08-2022, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 619 Likes on 249 Posts

Going down to Salty Sams to try to salvage the gear off my buddies sailboat he lived on uninsured.

He wants to walk away from it but I’m going to try to salvage it before anyone lays claim on it.

Salty Sams sent a letter of termination and demanded all boats be removed from property today .

little tough when a whole pier is in the way , not to mention the 100 foot yacht that’s holed and sitting on the bottom.

Old 10-08-2022, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 897 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
I made it out to Arcadia yesterday to check on my flatbed conestoga.

Unbelievably it not only tipped over to the south, so the north winds got it as the hurricane swept through, but it is completely unscathed .

Just need to find someone who can right it without tearing it up.

Easy! Get a dozen OSOr's, a pickup and a come along and that baby will be upright in no time! Heck I've watched plenty of episodes of those heavy trucker towing shows!
Smarty (10-08-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.