Notices

Aluminum Trailers?

Old 08-11-2004, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Aluminum Trailers?

Yes Storm Watch today..... Headed for us in a direct line. Expected to hit Friday PM
Old 08-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Registered

I agree with above. We are now using 16" wheels and 6K axles on all 35' and up trailers.

This is a 353 trailer 15K rated with 6K axles and 16" wheels.
Attached Thumbnails Aluminum Trailers?-21-40.jpg  
Old 08-11-2004, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 2,831 Likes on 951 Posts

What's the deal w/trailer companies putting the bunks vertical instead of flat?? Is there a benifit to this? I would think the flat bunks provide more support.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vertical is stronger???? Dave
Old 08-11-2004, 08:21 PM
Registered

Good answer. Actually, The cross section of the top does get the job done on adjustable trailers. Where did it start? who knows -- maybe a good cypress salesman years ago. These main bunks do provide additional strength over a vertical mount flat bunk that is adjustable. Welded is a different story. If you look at the picture above the center rear, and forward bunks are flat bunks. I believe we are the only ones who use the heavy 2x3" aluminum structural channel due to the higher cost involved although they do provide great strength as well. We so use these flat bunks on some hulls that have a very low deadrise number (Donzi Classic or the Allison racing boats for example). Step hulls are with additioinal crossmembers and split bunks dedicated to each individual step. Again, these cost more to produce in hardware and labor although provide superior strength over a single notched bunk. (any bets on when it will be copied?) This is standard on all of Fred's (Trick Marine) trailers.

Lumber Vs Floating. I have seen several comments on floating trailers. Yes some do and it's a funny sight until you are in a strong current. we are starting to use aluminum vertical main bunks to eliminate/minimize floating. These are stong units with a nylon cap instead of carpet. The first trailer went to Thunder Marine for the 288 Sunsation. These are tri-axles with alot of tires contributing to floating. Reports so far have been great.

I hope this answered your question.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
I was just discussing this on another board. There's a company that builds some really nice trailers called Extreme Trailers. They are really into the "bling" factor but build a reliable trailer from what I'm told. And they sure are puuuuurty.

l]
My extreme trailer is rusting apart and will be getting totally refurbished this year. Filling the corners and making everything smooth looks ok for a few years then moisture starts to set in and the bondo starts to crack where it meets steel and it all starts to look like Sh*t.