496HO Down on power >

496HO Down on power

Notices

496HO Down on power

Old 08-02-2022, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 795 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
All the 502/454mpis have less water that comes out one side of the exhaust at idle and my tails have a 10-20* temp difference at idle.
Not sure if the 496's are the same.
Griff,

Do they steam? 😁

This is something that “new”. When we did the sea trial, I can remember laying my hand on the risers and they were barely lukewarm, at most.

like I said, I’m not super worried about it. But I AM going to keep an eye on it and look into what might be going on.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 08-03-2022, 05:18 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
All the 502/454mpis have less water that comes out one side of the exhaust at idle and my tails have a 10-20* temp difference at idle.
Not sure if the 496's are the same.
yes 496s are the same. There are temperature sensors in each manifold. If they get to hot, will send alarm off and limit rpm.

You can check for blockage in your intercooler (if it is in series in sea water system), also check for debris before the oil cooler(port side under exhaust). The oil cooler is were the debris used to get caught in my engine. Would cause high sea water pressure though.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:54 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Okay, i couldn’t wait. I found the 496 procharger install instructions here:
https://www.cpperformance.com/instru...charger496.pdf

On page 22, line 14, the map sensor with one way valve and vented line is correct. I attached photo of this line in the instructions.

Last edited by SB; 08-03-2022 at 06:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SB:
cheech (08-03-2022), Ryan00TJ (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 12:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by underpsi68
yes 496s are the same. There are temperature sensors in each manifold. If they get to hot, will send alarm off and limit rpm.

You can check for blockage in your intercooler (if it is in series in sea water system), also check for debris before the oil cooler(port side under exhaust). The oil cooler is were the debris used to get caught in my engine. Would cause high sea water pressure though.
Underpsi,

When you say, "send off an alarm", is that an audible alarm, or a code? And how hot is that? And how much would it limit RPM? We just ran it this morning and, while the left side manifold and riser warmed up quicker and remained warmer after shutting down, it was still cool enough you could leave your hand on the riser almost indefinitely, and there was never any audible alarm. Engine temp stayed right at 160-165 throughout the run and after. I do not have an oil temp gage. I will investigate water routing.

For the record, performance was exactly the same as previously. There was some inkling of hope the plug wires were the issue (don't know how old they are) and new wires would solve it, but I wasn't holding my breath on that.

I have not had the chance to check the plugs yet. We put the boat away and I had to actually get some work done (those damned customers....)

Pretty sure the intercooler is not clogged. We are getting plenty of water output through the overboard fitting. Plus, the air input side, after an extended WOT run, was considerably warmer than the output side, and the aluminum elbow between the intercooler and the throttle body was cool to the touch.

We did see 2.5lbs of boost at ~4350 RPM, so I think we have ruled out a boost loss. Take off and planing is still really sluggish, even with just two people in the boat, so something is still amiss. We saw 46-4700 RPM with the 28P Bravo prop before we dropped to the 26P we are now running, and take-off was stronger.

I will report findings, if any, with the plugs this evening.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Last edited by Brad Christy; 08-03-2022 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Okay, i couldn’t wait. I found the 496 procharger install instructions here:
https://www.cpperformance.com/instru...charger496.pdf

On page 22, line 14, the map sensor with one way valve and vented line is correct. I attached photo of this line in the instructions.

SB,

I was just sitting down to call ProCharger to get the skinny on that. Thanks for the clarification.

That pic shows my exact arrangement (my wires for the MAP were tidied up a bit better; I'd guess at original install). I have very similar pictures in the manual I have, but the pic cuts off just shy of actually showing the one-way valve. 😐

Page numbers are different, too. Obviously, the manual has evolved over the last twenty years. Same info, though, so.....

Seriously.... I'm all ears on the idea of running this thing on a scanner, I'm just reluctant to blow that kind of coin on one, just for a (hopefully) one-and-done. I know there's always the potential for future issues, but it's just a jagged little pill to swallow ATM. Anybody know of anybody within an acceptable distance with a scanner that would be up for a joyride? I'll cover all costs. Seriously....

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Last edited by Brad Christy; 08-03-2022 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Im really surprised those super duper, 1 off, no one else has them plug wires by pup didn't fix all your problems.............
The following 3 users liked this post by F-2 Speedy:
DrFeelgood (08-03-2022), Powerquest280s (08-03-2022), SB (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 03:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Im really surprised those super duper, 1 off, no one else has them plug wires by pup didn't fix all your problems.............
F2,

Meeeee, toooo….! 😇

Not really. But there was a chance. I’ve been told by a couple people that leaking spark was the root of a problem that looked just like mine.

In all honesty, the new wires were just insurance against a false flag indicator. I’ll be pulling the plugs here in a couple hours, and we’ll see what we find. If anything.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 08-03-2022, 03:07 PM
Registered

Guys,

How reputable is Kunkle’s marine? Anybody have any dealings with them?

I just got off the phone with them, seeking an appt to meet up at the lake (Alum Creek in Central Oh) and run the boat on a scanner. He told me a scan is all but useless, and that I was likely looking at more of a mechanical issue, rather than an ignition or fuel delivery issue. He mentioned head gaskets. I’m not hitting the panic button, but his advice being directly counter to what I see as overwhelming consensus here on OSO has me wondering.

Thoughts?

Thanks. Brad.
(947)545-8991

Last edited by Brad Christy; 08-03-2022 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Well why not do a compression and leakdown like I mentioned earlier? Other than a bit of time it doesn't cost anything.
Old 08-03-2022, 04:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
Well why not do a compression and leakdown like I mentioned earlier? Other than a bit of time it doesn't cost anything.
DrFeelgood,

I did a compression test. Results are posted above. Those numbers look good, although the starboard side was stronger than the port side. I don't know if that means anything or not. I have no means to do a leakdown test and I can't find anybody willing, able and ready to do one until the middle of September. I am scheduled to take the boat to Kunkle's the third weekend in September, and I'm sure that's one of the first things they'll do. In the meantime, I'm pursuing other possibilities.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.