Out of the Mold- Im blown away! >

Out of the Mold- Im blown away!

Notices

Out of the Mold- Im blown away!

Old 12-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Looks pretty nice other than the monocolor part. Not sure what a 2750 runs with a teague 800 in it, but its probably close to 100 than 110.

Is there a 3rd party magazine test of this?

"Uncle Dave"
I was at Teague when there was a 2750 open bow with an 800efi (now for sale at lavey) and it was running consistent 94mph. Now granted it was an open bow so it lost a couple of mph and it was at castaic, but I'm sure that boat ran low-mid 90s consistently at Havasu. A closed bow 800efi should run mid-upper 90s depending on conditions.

In regards to a 5-blade, go for it. Yes they are harder on the drive because they bite more, but with a 710 and the TCM XR drive, you shouldn't have a problem, its a strong drive. The 2750/800 combo was running a 30p P-5X so I'd say yours should spin a 27-ish 5-blade.

Good luck and keep us updated with pictures.
-Tom
Old 12-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Uncle Dave:

It is coming together quite nicely---your dream is turning into a reality.

On prop selection Airtime hit the nail on the head--- the 5-6 blades are tough on drives. Tomorrow44 is right if you boat on a lake you could get away with a 5 blade---but the gear sets [upper and lower] are still Mercury gears and when you have too little slip something will break and you will lose a tooth or two on a gear set and may not get back to the dock. No thanks, if your 20 miles off of Long Beach in a single engine boat.

I recall you indicated you would primarily use the boat in the ocean hence the radar and 3d aspects of your navigation system. In the ocean the 5 blades really bite hard-er and the water is really dense and props hook up good. I won't even mention when you go over swells quartering away and driving over or with the swells at speed--- where the drive loads and unloads the lash on those gear sets constantly. Add the extra bite of that other blade and your gonna have problems---prop slip is your friend use to your advantage.

I would take it easy and put a Bravo I prop of your choice on the boat start with a 28 and go up or down depending on your driving style and weight/power combo and WOT-- RPM's. I bet you go lower in pitch if anything and don't forget to look at the Mercury Revolution 4 props they really work well [I believe you can get a 25Pitch now and the Revolution is usually a bit taller ie... a 25 is more like a normal 27. Talk to the rep. at Mercury propeller division they will answer all your questions.

Thank you, for sharing your awesome build with us your hard work and effort is definitely showing in the end result.

KAP
Old 12-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In time for X-mas

Thanks guys - I've been in New York all week and have to head up to Montreal tomorrow night and will be out of town another week so I havent seen it in three weeks now. I was drinking martinis in my pool a week ago- not quite the same thing here- my nipples could cut glass walking to the office.

Chris @ Lavey called me and basically told me were ready to go.

The interiors done now and they were going to have the furuno guy come over to bless the electronics install and run some tests then they'll do a lake test to insure everythings as it should be, and I should be picking it up next weekend. Ill post comprehensive interior picts and lighting picts at night.

All good info - I'm going to be pretty conservative for the first couple hours in any case and I appreciate your and airtimes feedback on slips effect on the drives, but I think there is actually even more to it than the blade count that's certainly a variable I can control as opposed to the hull itself which contributes to some base amount of given % of slip no matter the blade count. Im used to running tunnels and cats which seems to be inherently more efficient than v's

My tunnel routinely computes out at about 7-8% slip with a 4 blade and Ive not stripped any teeth even with an older B1 before I had the B1-Xr and Ive had some pretty serious loading and unloading but then again its a much lighter boat with only a 500 HP small block. Its a rockin machine but I want a ride in that Howard deck boat with a taylor engine for sure!!

I think its going to come down to the same thing it always does with me and that's my own ability to restrain myself - which IS an issue.

Im going to check out the revolution wheels youre talking about thanks for the info. Ill see you in San Diego for that tour of Coronado and the islands soon Kap.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to look at the picts.

"Uncle Dave"

Laveycraft 2750 Ilmor 710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring 406 SB
Old 12-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
All good info - I'm going to be pretty conservative for the first couple hours in any case and I appreciate your and airtimes feedback on slips effect on the drives, but I think there is actually even more to it than the blade count that's certainly a variable I can control as opposed to the hull itself which contributes to some base amount of given % of slip no matter the blade count. Im used to running tunnels and cats which seems to be inherently more efficient than v's
You're completely correct, many other factors do contribute like the hull and x-dimension. What works on some 27' Vs will not work on other 27' Vs. And I do believe you are also correct in that tunnels are more efficient than Vs. Basically try it out and pick what you like best. Just from personal observation, the Hydro P-5Xs tend to work very well on the 2750s. I tried a 25 Revolution and noticed that it had a lot of lift to it. The only problem was it lifted both the nose and the stern which caused handling problems on my boat, but might work better on yours. Keep us updated, I'm sure you're itching to take it out right now
-Tom
Old 12-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kap328
Hello Uncle Dave:

On prop selection Airtime hit the nail on the head--- the 5-6 blades are tough on drives. Tomorrow44 is right if you boat on a lake you could get away with a 5 blade---but the gear sets [upper and lower] are still Mercury gears and when you have too little slip something will break and you will lose a tooth or two on a gear set and may not get back to the dock. No thanks, if your 20 miles off of Long Beach in a single engine boat.

I recall you indicated you would primarily use the boat in the ocean hence the radar and 3d aspects of your navigation system. In the ocean the 5 blades really bite hard-er and the water is really dense and props hook up good. I won't even mention when you go over swells quartering away and driving over or with the swells at speed--- where the drive loads and unloads the lash on those gear sets constantly. Add the extra bite of that other blade and your gonna have problems---prop slip is your friend use to your advantage.

I would take it easy and put a Bravo I prop of your choice on the boat start with a 28 and go up or down depending on your driving style and weight/power combo and WOT-- RPM's. I bet you go lower in pitch if anything and don't forget to look at the Mercury Revolution 4 props they really work well [I believe you can get a 25Pitch now and the Revolution is usually a bit taller ie... a 25 is more like a normal 27. Talk to the rep. at Mercury propeller division they will answer all your questions.

Thank you, for sharing your awesome build with us your hard work and effort is definitely showing in the end result.

KAP
You can't run anywhere near flat out in the ocean when its rough enough to cause problems. You won't be using even 300HP offshore on a rough day. Its nothing like skipping over wakes on a lake!

The extra blades will make it easier to deal with rough water at the speeds you'll actually be able to handle. More is really better in the ocean. The loads on the prop change a LOT as you pass each swell. Highly loaded, but high X dimension 4 blade props will just keep blowing out. The 5 or 6 will blow out a LOT less.

If the boat was 47 feet long, instead of 27 feet, then you'd be able to boogie hard and fast and long enough in big water to blow up drives in the ocean.

If you had a stripped out race 27, then you could. But all your gear, batteries, and friends will break long before the drive.

At least, that's my experience. YMMV.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Registered

Default The final product

Minus a few tiny things being tweaked. Netx week we splash.

I know its mine, but this rig is seriously Phat.

"Uncle Dave"

Attached Thumbnails Out of the Mold- Im blown away!-bak-hatch.jpg   Out of the Mold- Im blown away!-bow-hatch-open.jpg   Out of the Mold- Im blown away!-dsc05773.jpg  

Old 12-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Registered

Default continued phatness

Inside with Led's cycled

"Uncle Dave"

Attached Thumbnails Out of the Mold- Im blown away!-dsc05731_2.jpg   Out of the Mold- Im blown away!-dsc05748.jpg   Out of the Mold- Im blown away!-dsc05745.jpg  

Old 12-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Registered

Default continued-

"Uncle Dave"

Attached Thumbnails Out of the Mold- Im blown away!-tatch-up.jpg   Out of the Mold- Im blown away!-amphibians.jpg   Out of the Mold- Im blown away!-passenger-drop-out-.jpg  

Old 12-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Registered

"Uncle Dave"

Attached Thumbnails Out of the Mold- Im blown away!-dsc05790.jpg   Out of the Mold- Im blown away!-driver-seat.jpg   Out of the Mold- Im blown away!-rear-holder-blue.jpg  

Old 12-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Registered

Default More cool stuff

"Uncle Dave"

Attached Thumbnails Out of the Mold- Im blown away!-dsc05729.jpg   Out of the Mold- Im blown away!-under-deck-driveer-sub.jpg   Out of the Mold- Im blown away!-under-deck-drive-side.jpg  

Quick Reply: Out of the Mold- Im blown away!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.