Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > LaveyCraft
Out of the Mold- Im blown away! >

Out of the Mold- Im blown away!

Notices

Out of the Mold- Im blown away!

Old 01-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm am impressed with the boat , but why no speed #'s, RPM's are great but don't mean any thing.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good questions

Originally Posted by wildhorses
I'm am impressed with the boat , but why no speed #'s, RPM's are great but don't mean any thing.
Boat went 90 that day.
5 people half a tank of gas and a cooold day.

I talked about that in another forum.
I should have talked about it here.

That day I had a garmin Rhino 530 gps in my pocket and it recorded max speed of the day at 90.

This computes out to about 16% slippage- not great, I think If I can run a 5 blade 26 I can get a MPH or 2 more and run about 12% slippage.

Uncle Dave
Old 01-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Thank Chris! Great shot.

Any more? (that don't have my ugly azz in em)
It must have been Snr. driving in that shot. I dont think I trimmed it up high enough to get that size tail, but it looks f-ing impressive.

Im really glad you were with us that day.

Uncle Dave

Laveycraft 2750 - 710 Ilmor
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring 406/ITS
Thanks Dave.
No i didnt take any pics other than two of the roost when my dad was driving. But ya id have to agree that we went 90 and deffinatly high 80's
Congrats on the boat and thanks for having me
Old 01-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Registered

Default Speed-

Originally Posted by lavey jr
Thanks Dave.
No i didnt take any pics other than two of the roost when my dad was driving. But ya id have to agree that we went 90 and deffinatly high 80's
Congrats on the boat and thanks for having me

I need some more seat time in the rig AND tons of time to shake down the electronics package.

The furuno has the ability to split the screen between chart, bottom contour, radar, and compass/ mph - I couldn't figure out how to get the "speed" screen up so as soon as I get that part figured out Ill take some picts. It's freaking complicated and Im pretty good with marine electronics having sold them for a living, but this thing is veeery different.

I was so stoked about the boat I forgot all about the rhino in my coat, until the end of the day when I got back and saw 90- about what I figured. I think if I can get few more MPH if I play around more with a few different props, and take out 3 of the 5 passengers and go light on fuel.

Actually wildhorses you can tell a lot from from knowing rpm and prop size. Go online and look up "propeller calculator" its a pretty simple formula.

If you know the prop pitch, the rpm you can turn it, and your drive ratio (most are 1.5:1) you can estimate slippage at around 12-18% for a good V, and around 7-9% for a cat or tunnel.

I "back computed" my slip rate based on the variables I knew.

There is lots of data on this site about certain hulls slip rates with different props usually the more blades the less slip,but you need to pitch down about 2 inches going from a 4 to a 5- I'm considering buying a 6 blade, but I cant find anyone who will let me try them, and Im not dropping a grand on a prop that may not "work".

Uncle Dave
Old 01-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
I need some more seat time in the rig AND tons of time to shake down the electronics package.

The furuno has the ability to split the screen between chart, bottom contour, radar, and compass/ mph - I couldn't figure out how to get the "speed" screen up so as soon as I get that part figured out Ill take some picts. It's freaking complicated and Im pretty good with marine electronics having sold them for a living, but this thing is veeery different.

I was so stoked about the boat I forgot all about the rhino in my coat, until the end of the day when I got back and saw 90- about what I figured. I think if I can get few more MPH if I play around more with a few different props, and take out 3 of the 5 passengers and go light on fuel.

Actually wildhorses you can tell a lot from from knowing rpm and prop size. Go online and look up "propeller calculator" its a pretty simple formula.

If you know the prop pitch, the rpm you can turn it, and your drive ratio (most are 1.5:1) you can estimate slippage at around 12-18% for a good V, and around 7-9% for a cat or tunnel.

I "back computed" my slip rate based on the variables I knew.

There is lots of data on this site about certain hulls slip rates with different props usually the more blades the less slip,but you need to pitch down about 2 inches going from a 4 to a 5- I'm considering buying a 6 blade, but I cant find anyone who will let me try them, and Im not dropping a grand on a prop that may not "work".

Uncle Dave
Dave, you might try calling Extreme Custom Marine in Elsinore. They may be able to work with you on a trial prop. They have done a ton of work for me and are a pleasure to work with. 951-6749100.

Good luck and your boat looks great,

Tom
Old 01-07-2009, 03:06 AM
Registered

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info.

I'll call them, do you have a contact name?

"Uncle Dave"
Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Registered

Dave,

Owners are Kirk and Paul, either of whom can help you.

Tom
Old 01-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Quent
Platinum Member

Default Prop for 2750 Lavey

Dave, you might try a Hydromotive Quad 4 plus. I tried the prop on my 24 with the same engine that you have and it was 3 mph faster than a super labbed ( BBlades) 28 B1. No knock on Bret. He is the best. The interesting thing is that the Hydromotive prop was faster out of the box and was about $550.

The 5 blade thing is very hard on outdrives.

Life is good. Live well.

Quent
Old 01-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Registered

One of the most gorgeous boats I've ever seen....
Old 01-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Registered

Default Thanks- River918

Originally Posted by River918
One of the most gorgeous boats I've ever seen....
Thanks for the compliments.

Id love to take all or even most the credit, but I really cant.

I came up with a lot of ideas but I lifted the paint scheme from Quent. I did source a long list of parts- and of course I came up with a lot of money.

The team at Laveycraft had to work hard to keep me from damaging my own project. I had 100% control, bu the project worked better when I let them loose and left it in their hands.

In terms of a client vendor relationship- it worked very well.

Originally this boat was going to be all white with a "splash of color".- imagine.

There were a lot of calls you cant see as well, like the liner is an Ultrasuede with padding between the liner and the hull so its soft to the touch and a head bump inside wont result in a bruise.

Other things were handled I never thought of like adding another set of cleats toward the front- easy right? Not quite this caused a domino effect of work that needed to be done, because the cleat when open can allow water to splash in and the guys had to make a custom molded "cup" to catch any water and them a line had to be added to allow them to drain to the back of the liner.

Originally I wanted buckets in back- but then you end up with a 5 person boat max. The guys decided to make the seat "pattern" mimic the look of buckets but kept a bench so I can fit 4 across easily and don't lose my flexibility.

Given Ill live with this for at least 15 years-(like my last Laveycraft) I could not be more pleased.

Now I have to start using it!

Uncle Dave

Quick Reply: Out of the Mold- Im blown away!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.