Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
89 scarab 21 excel rebuild >

89 scarab 21 excel rebuild

Notices

89 scarab 21 excel rebuild

Old 12-04-2013, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh damn I like that... was it a kit for the bravo? or is it specific for the alpha? also did you do add on or full hydo?
Old 12-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The bravo and alpha kits are the same except for the drive plate. I called and they made it out of stainless and polished it to a mirror for the alpha. Came with all required mounting bolts. It was a full system. I will never own another boat with out full hydraulic. Forget about everyone saying you need it above 60 to be safe, most cruise at 40-45 mph and its amazing how much better it feels to drive the boat at all speeds.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Registered

thats really good to know. great another 2500.00... lol its only money right???
Old 12-05-2013, 09:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

One of the nicest things for me with full hydraulic steering there is no torque steer & you can cruise comfortably without having to grip the wheel like with a cable, much more relaxing. Looking good, can't wait to see it in the water. Randy
Old 12-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Registered

So I think I figured out how to make the alphas shift interuptor switch work. I figure if I hook the coils pink wires through it since those are the ignition source that should cause the studder needed to get in and out of gear. Seems easy enough...lol. lets hope I'm right lol.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Great work! Been trying to go through this whole thread the last few days!! This boat will be sick when your done!
Old 12-09-2013, 03:53 AM
Registered

thanks, its not been an easy project, but in the end it will be well worth it. I will know every single inch of this boat. when its all said and done I will be able to enjoy this for many many years to come. I would give anything to have a heated garage to work in right now...lol I need to get some vinyl so I can get to covering the seats and what interior panels I have ready. Still undecided on all the colors or patterns. I plan on greys and some blacks. the seats will be a greay so they wont get too hot...lol don't need to burn anyones a$$ LOL I have been plucking away at the engine and ecu. I guess I'll be running open loop on the engine. As long as the tune is good then i shouldn't see any negative effects of it. Still trying to get the intake manifold clean... its a mess in there. from what I have seen and read the LS engines seem to ingest oil through the pcv systems. I know they all are known for oil consumption and most the hot rodders have added an oil catch can and that has eliminated the issue. Hell I may need to add one to my truck...lol it uses a quart every 4500 or so miles. and after seeing the build up on the intake I can see why they add the catch cans... I hope my sewing skills are up to my standards...lol If not I'm not going to be happy. I hate that I'm a perfectionist. but that helps in my job, as I work in the quailty devision at my job. but god I see something on my build and im like damn that looks like crap i need to fix it...

I decided to borrow the look of the outerlimits boats and got creative one night with some colored pens and came up with some looks for the paint... maybe...

Last edited by sdg0080; 12-09-2013 at 04:03 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I thought 2 years ago when I was redoing my seats I was going to do the whole thing myself. I redid all the wood and then ordered the vinyl and thought about doing that but realized I had no clue where to start with the vinyl. I ended up taking the old vinyl to a shop so they could use for patterns and gave them the new vinyl to make the covers from. And then I put the new covers and foam on myself. It still saved me a lot of money that way. One guy at the vinyl shop said I would never get the new covers on and that I would be back for them to put on. That guy can go F himself, I got the covers on! So that can be an option if you are unsure of your sewing skills. I am doing all my side panels this winter from start to finish myself but the seats were intimidating to me.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Registered

I can work with vinyl I just worry that my skills wont match my standards...lol I'm doing all french seams and they look killer but takes a steady hand. so I'm willing to give it a shot.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:34 AM
Registered

So I have been doing some small shopping. I ordered comp cams trunion upgrade kit to beef up the factory rocker arms. I guess the stock ones are very prone to throwing needle bearings... So I figured cheap insurance...lol I hope here in the next few weeks to order my spring package from Bob Madara to go with my new cam from him as well. The stock rocker arms are very light and seem to hold up very well other than the trunions. High lift cams seem to just eat these alive. I can understand since going from a very mild lift I believe upper 400 range to anything over a 525 life and they just arnt designed for that large of a range of motion. Makes sense, like I said cheap insurance. I would love to find a way to mount a factory GM fuel pump in my boats fuel tank. If I had my tank out I'm sure this would be rather easy. all you need is a mounting ring off a gm gas tank and mate it to the tank in the boat. Sure beats a 400-500 aeromotive marine rated fuel pump. plus the gm ones have their own "sump" built around them. and the ability for them to work a long time?? hell I have 3300 hours on my avalanche. or 112K miles. I'm wishing I had a garage to be able to look more indepth on this. since my boat is covered in snow... I'll have to wait...lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.