'82 38 KAAMA Scarab >

'82 38 KAAMA Scarab

Like Tree99Likes

'82 38 KAAMA Scarab

Old 08-29-2017, 05:25 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boat: Speedster 3200ss / 2015 speedster LS 26

That's great yours is not plywood I just know that all of the excel deck 38 and 43s were have repaired were little squares of plywood for core I guess they had a bunch of scraps laying around when they built the Excels
endeavour32 likes this.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:55 PM
Registered
Gold Member

My Boat: '87 Mirage Intruder

I love the lines of these boats. Looking forward to seeing the restoration pics. Keep them coming!
Old 10-20-2017, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boat: Scarab 43 Kevlar, Scarab 377 KAAMA

I finally found a building that would fit my boat and I signed the lease yesterday. I'll be bringing the boat to Chicago in a few weeks, and then the work can begin. Up until now, all I've been dealing with is selling, and shipping parts from my last boat and a few things from the Scarab. Finally everything is done, and work can begin on the new boat.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:00 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boat: '79 Scarab 300 '81 Scarab 377 Flat Deck

Boat looks familiar. I just found this thread and I'll be following your progress. I noticed your cockpit floor has a removable access panel to the fuel tank. I assumed they didn't have that and that the floor was solid. All my stuff was rotten and gone lol. Mine will likely be sealed. Keep the photos coming.
endeavour32 likes this.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Heath- I did notice that your boat didn't come with a molded floor. I know yours is an '81 and mine an '82, so that must be the difference between the two. Now that I have the boat close to Chicago, I've been able to finally start working on it. I've got the cockpit gutted, gimbals transmissions, and tabs off finally, so now I can start replacing the transom and the outer stringers in the engine bay. I've got to pull the floor out in the cabin, but I need to cut it in the middle to remove it. The only way to pull it whole is to remove the deck, and that's not going to happen. So here are a few pictures of the progress.

The side by side bolsters are most likely not going to by used. Instead I'm going to use the McLeod power bolsters in the bottom picture, in front of those are rebuild #5 gimbals. The last picture are the engines that are going in. They are 572, 1000 hp EFI Eickerts. At this point I have just about everything bought to complete the boat. Now it's just a matter of getting all the work done. Now the real work starts.
Attached Thumbnails '82 38 KAAMA Scarab-img_8649.jpg   '82 38 KAAMA Scarab-img_6908.jpg   '82 38 KAAMA Scarab-img_8946.jpg  

'82 38 KAAMA Scarab-img_2186.jpg   '82 38 KAAMA Scarab-img_2373.jpg   '82 38 KAAMA Scarab-img_0566.jpg  

Last edited by endeavour32; 11-20-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

does / can the floor come off the rest of the cockpit or just over the gas tank ?
sounds like your going all the way with the resto upgrade.
gonna jack it up and sqaure it up for the glass work and cabin rebuild ?

i enjoyed every part of mine including the grinding, only 2 things sucked
cleaning up after grinding, and the work was done outside so weather slowed it all down
keep me in mind about the side by side bolster,

thanks
take all the pics you can
Old 11-21-2017, 11:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Looking good. How rotten is it do you know? It seems theyíre always about twice as bad as I was hoping lol. One good thing about the deck being in place is it will help keep the hull in place so long as you donít cut too much out at once.

Weíll have to draw strength from one another during this time of trial and tribulation lol.

Awesome motors and drives. Are you looking to be in the 90 mph range?

im looking to go with separate bolsters also.

looking good!
Old 11-21-2017, 11:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I guess youíll be cutting the hatches? I donít see those babies clearing. 😬
Old 11-22-2017, 06:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The transom is probably 60% rotten, and both outer stringers in the engine bay are water logged. The center stringer appears fine. The companionway bulkhead has a small amount of rot on the left side. Last, as I have pictured, the first bulkhead inside the cabin is/was rotten. That one I have cut out, and the new one set in place. I need to order a few more supplies and then I can glass that in.

As far as keeping the boat from flexing. I'm going to tackle everything in stages. I'll get the bulk head I have pictured below glassed in, then I'll move to the transom, repair everything back there, and then finish up with the small area in the companionway bulkhead.

Ha- yeah, those engines i have a love hate relationship with. I love the power, the builder, and that they are EFI, but I hate the fact that they are so tall. I've briefly talked with Dan at Archer Marine, and he suggested to get the props 1" above the hull with the boxes set at neutral. That is going to be very hard, with how tall those engines are. Right now, I'm up in the air on whether to just build to new hatches from scratch or cut off the dog houses, and build bigger ones. If my measurements are right, I'm gong to need to make them 5" taller, which is twice as tall as they are now.

As far as speed goes, I hope I'm faster than 90 mph. What little info I've found on this site, it seems that 600 a side is good for 80 mph. I'm hoping with 1000 a side I can break 100. I'm toying with using composites in the v-birth and benches to lighten the bow. I'm willing to bet I could shave at least 250 out of the bow by doing that. I talked with Glass Dave about it, and he said to leave it as it is, as the 38 Scarab is the best riding boat (for its size) he's been in for the Great Lakes. When I briefly talked with Dan at Archer, he was implying that the cabin is the Achilles heel of the boat due to its weight. However; I'm under the impression he thought the deck was cored with plywood. It's not, mine is cored with Divinyncell, which would already make everything way lighter. Even my hatches are cored with it. So as far as that goes, if it would help the boat carry the bow more, I'll go that route, if not, it will stay plywood.

LOL, I'm certainly happy you are restoring the same boat, at the same time. You're a step ahead of me which is nice, because I can follow your thread for ideas. Keep up the good work, and don't slow down!
Attached Thumbnails '82 38 KAAMA Scarab-img_0815.jpg   '82 38 KAAMA Scarab-img_0816.jpg  
hblair likes this.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:57 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Iíve also considered trying to lighten up the cabin. Iíve actually thought about leaving it bare. Just painting all the stringers, bulkheads and glasswork with epoxy white, or just leave it as is. As far as you saving much weight with going with composite on the v berth and main sitting area horizontal pieces, I donít know if youíve dug into them yet but mine were only 1/2Ē plywood anyway, pretty light. so there may not be much weight savings to be had there anyway.

i just read above where all your bulkheads turned loose from the hull. All mine are too. Makes you wonder why that wouldnít stick for them back in the day.. My front bulkhead was even tabbed in top of white paint. Of course it wasnít stuck lol. Crappy work.

Iím assuming you have saddle tanks. Are you planning to keep them? I like the idea of leaving for the Bahamas and having plenty of gas for the whole trip.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser