'82 38 KAAMA Scarab >

'82 38 KAAMA Scarab

Notices

'82 38 KAAMA Scarab

Old 01-15-2018, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by hblair
Looking good man. I like your attitude. It may take a long time, but making the boat solid is worth it. Your boat appears to be very well maintained, much more so than 95% of them and look how much rot it has. The ones that lived outside are all basket cases. You know it’s interesting how all the bulkheads on yours and mine are separated from the hull. We better pay special attention to prepping the hull when we tab them, must have a lot of stress there.

I agree- Anyone buying one of these old Scarabs, better plan on at least re-tabbing the bulkheads. Seeing that both yours and mine are the same. I'm willing to be a lot of other 377/38's out there are in the same condition and the owners are unaware of it.

As a whole, my boat was clean for its age, which is why I bought it. I knew the transom was wet, by tapping it, but I really didn't expect much else. Once I get the engine bay done, everything else will be like child's play. There are a lot of little things that all need to be removed, ground out, and then re-glassed.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

that sucks about the cockpit stringers, do you have a plan how to get the floor out ?
i don't envy grinding out all the grid work tabbing, it's not the grinding or the itch it's the clean up

my boats getting ready for a topless midnight tow for an exit or two up 95.
the boat got rinsed off, swept and vac'd out after every big grind, it gets the vacuum at least once a week
but there is still dust coming out of it,
Old 01-16-2018, 07:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by outonsafari
that sucks about the cockpit stringers, do you have a plan how to get the floor out ?
i don't envy grinding out all the grid work tabbing, it's not the grinding or the itch it's the clean up

my boats getting ready for a topless midnight tow for an exit or two up 95.
the boat got rinsed off, swept and vac'd out after every big grind, it gets the vacuum at least once a week
but there is still dust coming out of it,

The floor is bonded to the stingers, and I had to think about how to remove it for a while, then I figured it out. I'm going to take my multi tool and cut through the adhesive. Then I'm going to cut out the floor from the outside stringer to the hull side. If you look at the picture, I'll cut on he inside of the lip, which is where the saddle tank sits. This will be pretty easy and once the side panels are installed, you will never see the cut. Then I can get the muti tool in, and cut that stringers adhesive.

As to cleaning. I agree, you have to vacuum everyday or multiple times a day. Then I take the air compressor and blow out the rest. It's a real pain, but you have to do it.
Attached Thumbnails '82 38 KAAMA Scarab-img_0776.jpeg  
Old 01-16-2018, 11:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,336 Likes on 284 Posts

Your floor is bonded to the stringers huh? Mine was only nailed with galvanized nails. Tabbed to the hull, I was able to get the Sawzall between the floor and hull and it cut pretty easy.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:10 AM
Registered

I think that is the major difference between the 81 and the 82. My floor is a molded floor, it wasn't glassed in plywood. So the issue with mine is, I can't get to the second stinger without cutting something up.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

How’s it going? Have you been able to work on it lately? I was gone all last week, took the family on a cruise out of Miami, which has gotten me remotivated to get moving along. I’ve decided I think to spend more time on my cabin interior. I think I’m going to stick with the same layout but with updated headliner, upholstery, etc.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hblair
How’s it going? Have you been able to work on it lately? I was gone all last week, took the family on a cruise out of Miami, which has gotten me remotivated to get moving along. I’ve decided I think to spend more time on my cabin interior. I think I’m going to stick with the same layout but with updated headliner, upholstery, etc.
It sounds like we are on the same schedule. Last weekend I was in Portland; this past weekend, Hawaii; and now I'm sitting in the airport heading to West Palm Beach for the week. Then when I get back on Friday, I have to head up to Michigan to strip off my other supercharger on my other engine. I sold both of them, because I'm going to run whipples for hatch clearance. All of this time away from the boat is killing me, I need to get some projects done, so I feel like I'm getting something done.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

You do a lot of traveling. I don’t travel much but when I do I find myself thinking about things I want to do in building my boat while I’m gone.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:27 AM
Registered

Back to work on the Scarab. I've been doing a lot of sanding in the bilge. I'm almost done as far as port side goes. If all goes well today. I'm going to remove the center stringer and then I can begin work on the Starboard side. I also began cutting and fitting the new transom. I'm doing as Glass Dave suggested, and using 3, 1/2" thick marine ply, with woven roving in between each layer.
Attached Thumbnails '82 38 KAAMA Scarab-img_1184.jpg   '82 38 KAAMA Scarab-img_1196.jpg   '82 38 KAAMA Scarab-img_1187.jpg  

'82 38 KAAMA Scarab-img_1188.jpg  
Old 02-18-2018, 09:45 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Looking good Mike. That grid on the bottom of the hull looks like it’s going to be fun lol. Are you going to lay down some diagonal bracing in the bilge like the later hulls had? That’s the direction I was thinking of going anyway. I want there to be no pockets for water to sit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.