Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Saber
28 Saber Wanted >

28 Saber Wanted

Notices

28 Saber Wanted

Old 04-16-2024, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 298 Likes on 179 Posts

Thank you Speedy. Wish I could take credit. All work done by Langston Marine out of Lake Texoma. Mostly Chad Langston's work, but Daniel Derebery helped quite a bit too. Yes, they are tight, the beam is only 8ft.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 04-16-2024 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2024, 10:49 PM
Registered

Got to do a little shakedown run today. All went pretty well first time out. Motors ran great. It's pretty sensative to weight and not as forgiving as the 28 Apache was given the narrow beam. I'm running 26p bravo four blade props. We are going to try some 28's. What are ya'll running for props? Anyone try 3 blade mirage 25's or hydromotive props? I ran the mirage props on the Apache. I couldn't quite get it to settle down well enough to get some top speed numbers and there seemed to be a lot of weight on the starboard side we figure must be from all the rigging, gauges, steering, etc. So I'm going to try adding some weight to the port side with some nice sandbags they sell to weigh down canopies. We only had 1/4 tank on each side and felt like it could of used some bow weight so I think more gas in the tank will help balance it. I need some more seat time too, it's been a while since I've driven fast but sure felt good

Have a little more work to do, but should be ready for memorial day weekend.

Old 05-04-2024, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I preferred the original Mirage props on mine, had them labbed and cupped a little. Less grip out of the hole, but made the boat a whole lot lighter in the water at speed and significantly faster. I had the fuel tanks in the bilge though, so balance may be a little different. Generally did not trim out drives at all until 40+ MPH these hulls like to porpoise at slow speeds with trim, once you get speed and carry the bow rides awesome. For best cruise and ride tabs just down from flat with hull bottom and trim at 3-4 40-45 MPH. I could trim out to 6 or 7 at top speed any more you will get a little chine walk. For a great ride with wife and kids in rough run drives and tabs all the way down these hulls will plow through just about anything in that configuration. I don’t remember is yours the original bottom or updated one? The original rides better but is very roll sensitive.
Old 05-04-2024, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 447 Likes on 199 Posts

Sounds good,nice work.How do you like the ride of the Saber compared to your Apache?
Old 05-04-2024, 10:02 PM
Registered

It's the original version of the hull, #3. It wants to lay on its side when turning. My Apache took some getting used to as well, I can better compare after more time on the water. The Apache was more forgiving to drive especially after adding more weight to the stern that was more consistent with the stock setup. This Saber's may require more weight in the back as well since there is room for tansmissions and I did lose some weight with the Imco exhaust manifolds.

Hotjava, sounded like fuel tanks in the back worked for you. That is interesting with the mirage props that it "felt lighter." Did you run a 27p? That is how my last boat felt with the mirage props. You could just feel the hull a lot more, like it loosened up the boat more, and felt lighter. These 4 blades don't feel that way at all, wasn't sure if it's the boat or the props or what.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 05-04-2024 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-05-2024, 07:04 AM
Registered

25p Mirage (non plus), 502’s spun them +/-5200rpm depending on conditions. I did end up having them labbed and a bit of cup added to help carry the bow.
Old 05-05-2024, 07:10 AM
Registered

I drove hull #1 some years ago, figured out real quick (after dipping the rub rail in the water) that you need to drag inside tab while turning. Definitely some legitimate reasons they made changes to the bottom design. Moving fuel tanks down closer to the keel probably improved CG and roll stability also.
Old 05-05-2024, 11:19 AM
Registered

Thank you for that tip! Does anyone have a good transom shot of the newer 28 hull with the tabs and drives up so you can see the chines a bit more? Or can you measure the width of the outside chine? Daniel recommended blueprinting the hull and I'm giving that a lot of consideration, said he could see a small hook at the transom center. Looking at the chines I wonder if the chines could also be squared more into sharper 90 degree chines to improve the steering??? Not sure what you could do with the outside chine maybe build it up some into a bit of a reverse chine, but certainly the inside set of chines could be squared more. Looking thru a lot of transom pics of diffferent boats and seems most have more square 90 degree chines. I don't really want to have to steer with tabs.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 05-05-2024 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell of a project! Work looks great. You any closer to changing the colors now thats she's in the water?
Old 05-16-2024, 04:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Monkey1855
Hell of a project! Work looks great. You any closer to changing the colors now thats she's in the water?
Thanks! Not planning on changing colors anytime soon. The next improvement will probably be to blueprint the hull. I will do the cosmetic stuff last.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.