Notices

Ford v.s. Chevy 3/4 ton

Old 02-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by wildhorses
O.K. let me see if I have this right, Ford-- we have bad motors,bad transmissions,terrible gas mileage and electrical problems. Chevy--- we have a couple of Leakey hoses and the tires seem too small for the wheel well. Boys I don't know where you went to high school but this seems like the classic no brainer.

I admit the 6.0L powerstroke has some issues, but the 5spd torqshift tranny in my opinion is a great transmission. I'd like to have this trans behind a 7.3.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ford ford ford! my 6.0 pulls anytihng. they are tougher and built solid. dana axles (straight axles) large conrtol arms and leafs. chevy cannot compare. the durmax is made by isuzu. ford is navastar. and the new scorpion diesel is supposed to rock. 6.4 will be short lived but is a powerhouse. and the torqshift tranny with built in engine braking. comeon. i can put a chevy in my bed and keep going.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandTimes
17.6?, what tuner are you running? thats exellent. My 05' duramax has been at the dealership for 3 weeks now getting snowballed, not happy, starting to see the light.
Your 05 duramax was the LLY, a engine that had known over heating and other problems that chevy could not fix.

06 and newer is LBZ, or LMN (just a LBZ with new emissions stuff). That engine is dead reliable, runs great and gets great millage. Now, if you are going to make fun of chevy about injector problems on the lb7, and over heating problems on the Lly, lets look at ford's record. All of the torque shift 5 speed autos that came out in 03 and 04 failed, at such a fast rate trucks were stuck at dealerships for weeks. This was faulty machining on some transmission parts. Pretty much all of the 03 6.0Ls had major electrical issues, and the variable vane turbos are still causing grief in all year 6.0 liters. Oh, and taking the cab off to work on the trucks is a damper. Imagine out of warranty repair costs? The 6.4L is the first time ford went to a high pressure common rail engine. Duramax and cummins have been HPCR since 03. That is why the 6.4L is so much quieter now.

Fords suspension is better than chevys, but beware on all of these trucks you are going to have to replace a lot of parts after 60k miles. On my f350 I had to rebuild the whole front axle: ujoints, hubs, wheel bearings, axle seals, and yoke. Also front drive shaft ujoints, and cardon joint. Oh, almost forgot about the ball joints (1200 dollars at a shop). I do all the work myself, so its been ok.

Now, if you look at what you'll need to do on a chevy its comparable, but less. Wheel bearings have the same life, ball joints fail a bit earlier. The difference is chevy upper ball joints are cheap and 10 times easier to replace than fords. Chevy Pittman, idler arm, and support brackets will fail at 50k miles, unless you spend money on upgraded parts. You need to spend about 300 to fix chevy's cheap engineering.

I still say chevy duramax. You can't compare to your LLy, its a completely different engine. I don't trust the 6.0L yet, very weary of the 6.4. But I love the ford tailgate step, and the instant cab heater before the engine warms up.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe92GT
Your 05 duramax was the LLY, a engine that had known over heating and other problems that chevy could not fix.

06 and newer is LBZ, or LMN (just a LBZ with new emissions stuff). That engine is dead reliable, runs great and gets great millage. Now, if you are going to make fun of chevy about injector problems on the lb7, and over heating problems on the Lly, lets look at ford's record. All of the torque shift 5 speed autos that came out in 03 and 04 failed, at such a fast rate trucks were stuck at dealerships for weeks. This was faulty machining on some transmission parts. Pretty much all of the 03 6.0Ls had major electrical issues, and the variable vane turbos are still causing grief in all year 6.0 liters. Oh, and taking the cab off to work on the trucks is a damper. Imagine out of warranty repair costs? The 6.4L is the first time ford went to a high pressure common rail engine. Duramax and cummins have been HPCR since 03. That is why the 6.4L is so much quieter now.

Fords suspension is better than chevys, but beware on all of these trucks you are going to have to replace a lot of parts after 60k miles. On my f350 I had to rebuild the whole front axle: ujoints, hubs, wheel bearings, axle seals, and yoke. Also front drive shaft ujoints, and cardon joint. Oh, almost forgot about the ball joints (1200 dollars at a shop). I do all the work myself, so its been ok.

Now, if you look at what you'll need to do on a chevy its comparable, but less. Wheel bearings have the same life, ball joints fail a bit earlier. The difference is chevy upper ball joints are cheap and 10 times easier to replace than fords. Chevy Pittman, idler arm, and support brackets will fail at 50k miles, unless you spend money on upgraded parts. You need to spend about 300 to fix chevy's cheap engineering.

I still say chevy duramax. You can't compare to your LLy, its a completely different engine. I don't trust the 6.0L yet, very weary of the 6.4. But I love the ford tailgate step, and the instant cab heater before the engine warms up.

if you get a chance read my earlier post...#16..Both my 05's..GMC and Ford get driven between 45-52k per year..Pulling 9-11k the majority of the day..by the same guys..then they drive them home unloaded. My guys are responsible for all the maint. so they drive them like they are their own. One is a cant stand a Ford product GM guy and the other is a true die hard Ford guy..They occasionally switch off and both have good/bad things to say about both trucks, especially when pulling loads pass semi's or on a windy day. ....I have had more to do on the 6.0 litre as far as motor repairs to about 4k more..but as to the tranny..it has been built twice on the GM and at 185k on the Ford..TO DATE...7800.02 more on the GMC across the board..that's motor, tranny,suspension,power BS, and the seats and interior from getting in and out at the job sites have held up so much better on the Ford.

I'll take my 08 6.4 over both of them..No comparision on the motor, no quirks..and I have been getting in town 13.4 as an average..Thats just around Diamondhead, 30-45mph stop and go.. BTW these are all duallys not 3/4 tons. Jeff
Old 02-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Registered

WOW! Sounds like you need to learn what a grease gun is and do a little maintinance! I have had many fords over the years and the only one I had to work on the front end was a conversion 250 van I bought used. had ta do king pins at 70 or 80K...probably had never been greased until I bought it. I've had a couple that were in the 200's and didn't need a thing! Course I do use a grease gun!

I will add....many don't require greasing now. Sounds like you ran yours in alot of water. Had an 84 with 250K on the original sealed balljoints when I sold it!

Last edited by pachanga; 02-28-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my 08 GMC 3500 dually 4x4 crew cab getting 16 mpg.I am a tool and equipment dealer and I am in shops all the time the Ford 6.4 has major problems and like stated you have to remove the body to get the engine out.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:46 AM
Registered

I have had 3 F 350's and 1 Excursion all have had over 80k miles before I sold them and have never ever had to do any work on the axles. I change the oil every 30k miles, lube all the joints every oil change and thats it. Well the Excursion has Air Lockers but that was an upgrade. I also am a ASE Master tech and worked at Ford and sure we had to fix stuff on every part of cars and trucks but we certainly didn't do alot or any I can remember doing whole rebuilds at 60k. I havnt worked on cars since 96 for a living but am still very much in the circle and still do some custom work on the side and have friends I hang with that work at Ford and they say the new running gear is all better than it was and still pretty much bullet proof. I have a 68 Bronco thats on 39.5 Boggers with a 93 5.0 motor with some work done to it, I have the Dana 44 front and 9 inch rear this truck is just for wheeling it and it only bust axles when my BAC gets over 1.5
Old 03-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by pachanga
WOW! Sounds like you need to learn what a grease gun is and do a little maintinance! I have had many fords over the years and the only one I had to work on the front end was a conversion 250 van I bought used. had ta do king pins at 70 or 80K...probably had never been greased until I bought it. I've had a couple that were in the 200's and didn't need a thing! Course I do use a grease gun!

I will add....many don't require greasing now. Sounds like you ran yours in alot of water. Had an 84 with 250K on the original sealed balljoints when I sold it!
There are no grease points on OEM ford ball joints and u joints. Infact, the only 6 grease points on my truck from the factory are on the steering system, which surprisingly works great and hasn't needed a part. All the parts that are installed now have grease zerks.

I probably should mention that I snow plow, that obviously doesn't help front end wear. 60k and higher is when you need to start watching stuff. My truck has 88k miles.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

There are no grease points on OEM ford ball joints and u joints. Infact, the only 6 grease points on my truck from the factory are on the steering system, which surprisingly works great and hasn't needed a part. All the parts that are installed now have grease zerks.

I probably should mention that I snow plow, that obviously doesn't help front end wear. 60k and higher is when you need to start watching stuff. My truck has 88k miles.
that makes alot more sense now.. since we are 99% highway driving, we usually have maint. after 2 years (50k per year per truck) when truck has 100-110k miles on it...no snow plowing in southern Mississippi, at least there better not be
Old 03-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
I have had 3 F 350's and 1 Excursion all have had over 80k miles before I sold them and have never ever had to do any work on the axles. I change the oil every 30k miles, lube all the joints every oil change and thats it. Well the Excursion has Air Lockers but that was an upgrade. I also am a ASE Master tech and worked at Ford and sure we had to fix stuff on every part of cars and trucks but we certainly didn't do alot or any I can remember doing whole rebuilds at 60k. I havnt worked on cars since 96 for a living but am still very much in the circle and still do some custom work on the side and have friends I hang with that work at Ford and they say the new running gear is all better than it was and still pretty much bullet proof. I have a 68 Bronco thats on 39.5 Boggers with a 93 5.0 motor with some work done to it, I have the Dana 44 front and 9 inch rear this truck is just for wheeling it and it only bust axles when my BAC gets over 1.5

Was your excursion gas or diesel? The ball joint problem is a lot more prevalent on a diesel. When you worked at ford before 96, they were still using the separate front wheel bearings, and the rotor was the hub. The modern hub/bearing assembly has a big tendency to fail anywhere after 60k miles. Look at all the message board complaints. These parts are 500 dollars alone, plus you need the axle seals in and out.

My post wasn't so much defending ford over chevy or the opposite. I am very much neutral, and just pointing out issues that are on the modern trucks of each brand.

I still love the ford truck, as everyone else that tows said, its a lot more truck like.

Quick Reply: Ford v.s. Chevy 3/4 ton

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.