Notices

Ford v.s. Chevy 3/4 ton

Old 03-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by outlawinil
Let's hear the list of major problems. You sure you know the difference between a 6.0 and 6.4.

Anyway why all the crying about lifting the cab off, Ford designed it that way. In less than an hour they can have the cab, fenders, grill, radiator up on a hoist all in one piece. You want the mechanic working on the engine like they do on drag cars or do you want him standing on a bucket prying wires and hoses out of the way in a cramped compartment banging around on delicate parts. Your call Mr. expert
i am a ford master diesel tech...... and yes the body was designed to be removed due to the fact there can be less damage to the pretty part of the truck and the heavy engine can be serviced/ lifted out without any hiccups. i know chevy techs who lift bodys off of the duramax. it is not suggested but they can do it. and it also makes labor times less, passing savings onto the customer when the vehicle leaves warranty status. and when you have a bad failure but want to keep the truck, the 8 hours saved by removing the cab is great. all ford diesel owners (all ford owners) if there is anything i can do let me know.. i have online capibility to all shop manuals and specs and stuff. i can help if you need it. but as for the boats..... i suck
Old 03-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Registered

6.0 owners. if you are under 100k.... and under 5 years of ownership. you can pm me your vin and i can tell you... if you see coolant comming from the degas tank (white chalky stuff around the cap on the radiator resivoir) get it fixed while it only costs $100.00 thats all its the deductible. i have a 6.0 and i love it. i fix them every day. i do not work on duramax. i know they get good fuel economy. but what i also know is that a 6.4 can hold up to anything. you can screw with the injector timing and not have any bad side effects. i have a buddy with a 6.4 getting 25mpg on a diablo chip. he is empty alot but damn... the 7.3 is capible of the same. the 6.0 and the 7.3 can run on dilouted used tranny fluid. but back to what i was saying up top. there are a few things that can make a 6.0 let you down. the engine was designed for international first. they have many updates that can make them just as good (in my eyes) as a 7.3 and when the 7.3 first came out everyone hated it also. we work through this stuff. and the worst part is the bulk of it is the fact we had to stick emission related junk all over the engine. its a diesel let it go! and wait for the scorpion... a ford engineered diesel. it may suck... it may be awesome 2010 launch
Old 03-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Registered

What is causing this? Is it a head gasket problem? I'll have to give mine a look. I have an 07 with 45,000 on the clock.

Originally Posted by Fixxxer22
6.0 owners. if you are under 100k.... and under 5 years of ownership. you can pm me your vin and i can tell you... if you see coolant comming from the degas tank (white chalky stuff around the cap on the radiator resivoir) get it fixed while it only costs $100.00 thats all its the deductible. i have a 6.0 and i love it. i fix them every day. i do not work on duramax. i know they get good fuel economy. but what i also know is that a 6.4 can hold up to anything. you can screw with the injector timing and not have any bad side effects. i have a buddy with a 6.4 getting 25mpg on a diablo chip. he is empty alot but damn... the 7.3 is capible of the same. the 6.0 and the 7.3 can run on dilouted used tranny fluid. but back to what i was saying up top. there are a few things that can make a 6.0 let you down. the engine was designed for international first. they have many updates that can make them just as good (in my eyes) as a 7.3 and when the 7.3 first came out everyone hated it also. we work through this stuff. and the worst part is the bulk of it is the fact we had to stick emission related junk all over the engine. its a diesel let it go! and wait for the scorpion... a ford engineered diesel. it may suck... it may be awesome 2010 launch
Old 03-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Registered

head gaskets and bolts. the extreme compression and boost is causing the heads to slightly lift off of the deck and blowing some combustion presure into the cooling system between the multi layered steel gasket. there is an updated gasket and bolts also the torque procedure is tighter and different. but there is no mix of fluids
Old 03-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Registered

mine did that..they did as you said...funny thing is the mechanic said his torque spec was go to the stock pounds..then turn more.. sure he was joking but seem to fixed the problem. Also said he takes the cabs off..he was good at it only took him an hour on the 05. Sounds like a good option to me
Old 07-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I recommend a visit to the Duramax and Powerstroke forums if you want to get a good indication of reliability. Neither truck is up to car standards for reliability. In fact, to those who say they are good trucks, I say your standards are low.

Having said that, the Ford problems are downright scary. Engines blowing, driveshafts out of balance, ball joints out, rear axles blowing, transmission failures, the list goes on. It's not easy getting Ford to fix these either. The mileage on the stock 6.4L is awful, 2-5 mpg worse than the Chevy as reported in Consumer Reports testing. The strong suit of the Fords are their strong frame and tight interior. Beyond that it's dreary.

The Duramax people have very few problems as long as they are not tuned. If tuned, the Alison trans blows up. They have a lot of body squeeks and rattles from everything from the doors, dash, seats, you name it. It's pretty pathetic. The Chevy also has better A/C.

Your truck may not experience all these problems, as these are samplings of many users. All report thin sheetmetal on the new trucks. Also don't put a tuner on it if you want a warranty. The manufacturers can now tell, even if you take it off before taking it to the dealer.

Michael