Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding. >

IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.

Notices
Formula

IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Where am I hiding from this? I have said on multiple posts that if it comes to pass that Formula messed up, that I will jump all over them. and yes, if there are actual facts that prove an issue on Formula's part, I will post them on Boatfreaks. (which BTY isn't "my" site)

5 of 5 boats, and ONE picture that doesn't really show much. If I had a boat with a hull/deck joint failure, I'd have tons of pictures of the lack of Plexus, and the repair process.

The response from Formula that is printed below is pretty clear on what they think. Their boats are great, but like every boat, thye can make them better. There are tons of boats out there that use just screws and sealer to hold the deck to the hull. So Formula is heads above them already.

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Z5.....go ahead and bury your head in the sand. Five of Five boats. I'm sure we'll see more boats in our own club this year. No broken fiberglass.......hull/deck needs repair. I'll get you some more pics okay? You can post them on your on your own BoatFreak site if you want.

Here are the last contacts with Formula I have had........and for those without PDF:

Norton,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Yes, I reviewed both boats while visiting Archer and had discussions with Dan and Dave relative to production line manufacturing in general and the deck/hull joint assembly specifically, i.e., how the assembly has evolved and improved through the years. I also shared with Dan some of our testing and experimentation and the changes in manufacturing that have resulted largely due to the inquiries of you and your fellow SCOPE members.

As to my impressions when looking at the boats first hand, I did not see anything that surprised me, i.e., given the previous descriptions and discussions of the issue. Was there room for improvement in both the design and implementation of the joint assemblies? Yes, on both accounts. However, I do not attribute the issues to defects per se. I believe a combination of factors contributed to the joints' separation, and I feel our offers of participation toward the repairs is commensurate with this position. As a production line manufacturer, we work within certain parameters and limitations, and the reality is we build our boats to general standards that may prove insufficient durability-wise when exposed long-term to more severe conditions and applications. What we've seen happen with your boats doesn't mean the deck/hull joint was defective; it does mean we need to make improvements (and we have) if we wish our boats to stand up better over time in offshore-type conditions.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Regards,
Michael R. Boyd
Old 02-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Bottom line is.....I believe there is a safety issue here, and Fomula is not issuing an inspection bulletin or anything. That is why this thead is here.
It seems that Formula does not agree with you. However, they are offering you money to do the repairs even way outside of warranty, which IMHO is above and beyond what they have to do.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think that Formula depreciates faster then other boats. The resale did take a hit while they did their no interest for X months and what ever else they did to get people to buy. Cigs, OL, Nortecs all start out at a MUCH higher price so they will resell higher. Formula has their loyal fallowing as does Cig. and so on. If you want a boat that holds its value better then any it would probably be a Superboat or a Pantera. Hell Specialized racing has won 3 world champions with a boat that is 24 years old! Superboat owners/buyers are like a cult. The just hold their value like nothing I have ever seen.

Zone 5. I think that Norts concern (and I hope that I am not putting words into his mouth), that he has said multiple times, is that he brought this out because he wants other owners to be aware of the possible issue and to keep a close eye out for it. Will all boats have this issue, I doubt it, but 5 out of 5 of the boats on the west coast that he boats with did. Now maybe because the first guy had the issue the other 4 checked their boats to find the same issue? Maybe now that other people are going to know about the possibility we will hear of others.

IMO Formula makes a good boat, but they have often times made HUGE errors in construction. Some examples of this is not capping bulkheads with glass, how many people have had to replace their transoms on their 311's and other boats. This could be another manufacturing issue. Maybe they have fixed it already maybe not. Lets just all be aware that the issue exists on SOME boats and as owners do out part to keep an eye on our boats.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Gunfight

Norts intent was not to incite a riot or gunfight. It seems that this thread is getting a little hostile. Believe me I have photos and videos. I also have videos and photos of the system Archer developed to to the repairs. I am hesitant to post all this because it will add gas to the fire and really is not necesscary. Our intent is to make owners aware of the issue, PERIOD. We could have turned this into a gangfight lawsuit but we did not. We have better things to do and in our cases there were no injuries or accidents. THATS ALL. If you do have a failure I will be glad to E-mail you the repair video and procedure free of charge.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this still scares me this is my last boat
Old 02-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fossil fuel
Norts intent was not to incite a riot or gunfight. It seems that this thread is getting a little hostile. Believe me I have photos and videos. I also have videos and photos of the system Archer developed to to the repairs. I am hesitant to post all this because it will add gas to the fire and really is not necesscary. Our intent is to make owners aware of the issue, PERIOD. We could have turned this into a gangfight lawsuit but we did not. We have better things to do and in our cases there were no injuries or accidents. THATS ALL. If you do have a failure I will be glad to E-mail you the repair video and procedure free of charge.

I would post them,if you don't want to could you send them to me.I will not post them but would like to see them.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:10 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I would like to see the repair procedure. Maybe I will do my 311 differently. [email protected]

Thanks
Old 02-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Registered

We did ours three years ago , Thought it was because it was run hard and it is a 96 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1
We did ours three years ago , Thought it was because it was run hard and it is a 96 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And then there were six.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Does anyone have any objection if I go through and clean out any of the banter that does not specifically relate to this topic? I think that with this looking like it may be more serious then we thought it is important that we keep it 100% on topic. Mostly I am thinking get rid of all the financing stuff?

Jon

Last edited by Audiofn; 02-12-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.