Notices

new Class 1 rules

Old 10-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rules

there seems to be alot of people that would like to see C1 over here. but what class would they race? is either 850 and 750 guys going to adopt the new C1 rule? so that they could at least run together.

second why would they change their schedule to please us at the KW race? these guys are use to seeing 10 plus boats that are all in the same class. we got 10 plus classes with maybe a four boat average??
Old 10-18-2008, 05:16 PM

Ryan,

The reason Victory and Qatar to a degree, have outspent everyone is because with the way the rules are at the moment - they can. Now with the new rules in place all the areas where they are spending their money will not be allowed, so hence they wont be able to gain an advantage there. The idea is to make Class 1 affordable for a lot more people, and limiting what they can do is the way to go. Sort of like the A1GP car racing, now thats as equal as you can get. You still have some areas where you can tweak the cars but bottom line is it comes down to driver skill and reliability of the car and engine. They dont have traction control and all that stuff, hence a lot more cars go off roading.

I do think they are on the right track and its not about Victory Team giving up their advantage, they want to be seen to be winning a "real" world title. Anyone can win a title if they are the only boat in the class or their competition has about 1/10th of the budget. These new rules will even up the playing field so that when a champion is crowned at the end of the season - it is the mechanics and drivers and team who have earnt it, not the accountant. The reason these guys like racing Class 1 is because, no matter what you or I think, it is THE top of the offshore classes. Ever been to one of their races, its like going to a Formula 1 race, the hospitality is awesome and they look after the media and they promote themselves and all their teams are in uniforms etc. Sort of like going to a US race and seeing Haggins AMF team and Reliable Carriers team x 10. Its impressive.

In the last round of the Class 1 series I think there were 12 boats, but there have been as little as 8 at some races and its not only Victory who are winning, they have had reliability problems. Jotun have won two races and I think even took out the European Champion title. Jotun is going into the Egypt race chasing a hat trick of wins and in the last race Victory was only third so they dont always have it their own way. A couple of the teams have recently added a second boat to their team so the numbers are increasing. I for one would love to see a 20 plus field in a Class 1 race. Now that would be amazing, with boats from Australia and USA in there as well.

With regards to the Class 1 racing in Australia, bottom line is its a joke. Three of the six boats are Bill Barrie Cotters, one is Steve Searles and he is keen to race intl Class 1 and Mark has a newish 39 ft MTI that is new on the scene this year. The way it is now Bills boats take most of the placings so it is basically the Maritimo circus. In my opinion there is no point in having Class 1 in Australia as its the same ole same ole every race and it would be better for the sport for Bill to take his boats, and Searley to take his and run in the proper Class 1 championship. They both have the budgets for it. Class 1 has never been big downunder, and in fact there has only ever been about 6 or so boats running for as long as I can remember.

I agree there is no way they could ever make KW in November but who is to say that a seperate event couldnt be put on at KW or somewhere else in Florida some other time during the year that would fit in with everyones schedules. If it was me I would look at trying to get the Offshore Pro Series to work with P1 and Class 1 and make a joint event, what about Key Biscayne. Now that would be an awesome place for a race and think about the crowd you could pull.

SkaterDave,

Since I dont know the exact rules I would guess that maybe the offshore pro series guys would be eligible, or if not it might take a little bit of work to modify engines to be eligible. I know people like Bob Bull, Tony, Tom, Dave Scott and JT, would make sure the US had a great presence in any Class 1 race there in Florida.

You talk about the boat count, how about running the Class 1 as one class, Powerboat P1 as another, and then have Cat Lite and Cat Outboard and Turbine Extreme (have to have AMF and JBS there) as supporting classes. Imagine that days racing

Cheers

Ned
Old 10-18-2008, 11:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by byrideroffshore
could u imagne bigboy racing over there...oh no

randy there tryin to keep costs down..the electronics they use is unbelievable over there..not just engine management...the motor packages have alot of variables...

u better be ready bigboy...oh Pete let me work on your boat while it was at Skater
I checked the whole electrical system and I "think" everything is tight....he even let me straighten the bottom of your boat up it was a little crooked....
Listen here DumbFox I know better !! REAL racers don't cheat or sabotage the compititions equipment. After a couple of good old fashon a$$ woopins they just go back to work and the cycle starts all over again

then every once in a while a DYNASTY hangs around for while before the cycle starts again
Old 10-19-2008, 02:33 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i like you guys.... you are funny. jimmy, dont go over there, there are no bailbonds men.