Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto >

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto

Notices

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto

Old 02-04-2019, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

This is a big milestone heath, enjoyed the whole thread and cant wait to see it finished.

One question for you and anyone who gets here, only raising it cuz how i think.

To me the hull has a pressure point right at the front of the cradle with the bow hanging so far out in the breeze
I believe anyway, that no matter how stiff the hull and solid the stringers, the hull will flex under its own weight under the right conditions.
To my knowledge none of the scarabs hull and sides are cored thereby allowing flex to occur easier.
(They do while underway)

Anyone else think the hull should be blocked up, leveled up and examined real close for flex, twist or anything that would be permanent after the deck is bonded on.

Heath as the body guy you are, i know you have a good eye for 'straight' and i know the passion your putting into this project.
So dont think im in any way questioning your ability or the techniques you used so far to get to this point.
The project is beautiful, im just boat crazy and think the hull "always" has to be supported just like a brand new baby does.

Here ! Hold the baby, NO, not like that, like this, dont let nothin happen !
Telling it as ive heard it.

Last edited by outonsafari; 02-04-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:19 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 283 Posts

Hey I’m happy to have other eyes and minds helping me out. You can see things I might overlook.
The whole time We were replacing stringers and bulkheads We had it supported in several (8 or 9?) locations, Checking it with the laser to see if it moved. There’s a block of wood under the bow now I just noticed you can’t see in the photos, When the deck went on the screw holes lined up pretty easy. I actually had to pick up on the edge of the deck about 1/4” on both sides in a couple places.
I plan on working on it tomorrow and I’ll get my laser level and be sure the deck has no twist before I do any bonding.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Damn Heath, you're my hero! You've done 2 Scarabs and I've talked about restoring mine for 5 years now! I'm inspired! I'm pulling motors this Spring!
Old 02-07-2019, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by CDShack
Damn Heath, you're my hero! You've done 2 Scarabs and I've talked about restoring mine for 5 years now! I'm inspired! I'm pulling motors this Spring!

wait for next fall so you can enjoy the summer !
Old 02-07-2019, 10:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

This ones not done yet and lacks a lot but thanks for the encouragement. 🤪

i did some measuring the other night. I shot a horizontal laser above the boat bow to stern, and measured up with a tape to the laser and the hull is pretty square. I took measurements every five feet starting at the bow point going backwards, all points were within 1/4”” except for two that were 1/2” difference side to side. One was about ten feet from the transom, the other was about ten feet from the bow. I believe these deviations are just the deck being screwed in place in a production type atmosphere. There are funky little nuances here and there that confirm this. Like a hump in the deck over the left nav light hole that is not on the right side. Also the “turn down” in the deck heading rearward at the fairing is much more pronounced on the left side than the right. Just production wellcraft stuff that I prolly could have corrected somewhat but I chose to leave alone, using the original screw holes in the deck and hull. I didn’t want to force the deck into a stressed position that might cause cracks later.

i cleaned the hull and deck joint and put core bond on it before we screwed it into place the final time. The core bond not so much for strength but to help with a watertight seal.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:18 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Also something that I noticed was the places the screws were “wallowed out” was at the base of the fairing on both sides and of course all the way across the transom. Apparently the long bow of these 38 scarabs likes to flex upward also causing the stress cracks in the center of the deck where it meets the fairing.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I started tabbing tonight at the bow. Makes changing all 16 plugs on my 30’ scarab on a 100 degree day on hot motors seem like a walk in the park. It was quite difficult. I was wearing a respirator, had air blowing in and air sucking out and it was still strong. Not to mention having to contort into that small space. Reminded me of caving when I was younger except I’ll be turning 50 Monday. Doh!
Grinding screws off..

Last edited by hblair; 02-07-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Old 02-07-2019, 11:42 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Old 02-16-2019, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic work you are doing here. Thanks for taking the time to document your progress. I will be looking to this for inspiration as I dig into my Nova. Hopefully it won't go quite this far! Have you thought about adding an under deck windlass while you are here? Seems like it would be a practical addition that would also keep the wife happy.
Thanks, Todd.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.